WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Digital Art > The Digital Library
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-11-2006, 09:48 PM
A WC! Legend
Ontario

Hails from Canada
Re: Share your custom brush here

Well said Marge

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyAlba
Now what I find disturbing is the fact that those that share brushes after creating them find it necessary to explain the steps taken to make them. Since it is a gift couldn't the people that download them just accept them as such instead of questioning.
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2006, 10:18 PM
Enthusiast
California

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjean
Just went back and tried to remake it and it wasn't made the way I though LOL ...

but if I use a new canvas
put some dots or lines on it
use selection
capture dab
open brush creator
fool with settings
tell it to copy variant
prog. says click here to build brush

is this a brush or variant ?

Hi Jean,

I'll clear up questions about what qualifies as a brush variant in a following post as there still seems to be quite a bit of confusion about it. This is partly due to the way the Painter interface itself uses the terms "brush", "brushes", and "brush variant", and the way these terms are used in the Painter documentation.... to say nothing of how Painter users use and abuse them.

For now:

Some steps are missing from those you listed and one of them (Save Variant) seems likely to be the reason you got the error message. That error message might also be a Painter bug as it seems to appear for no apparent reason especially with brush variants imported from earlier Painter versions. Occasionally it appears with brush variants created in the current Painter version, and after they've been saved as custom brush variants. If I learn from Corel what the reason is (or reasons are), I'll try to remember to post that info here.

In the meantime here are the steps I've used that work for me:

1. Prepare the Captured Dab image by painting, drawing, using a photo, scan, texture applied to the Canvas, or part of any existing artwork.

2. Make a rectangular/square-ish selection around the area of the image you want to use as the brush dab. (Don't hold down the Shift key to make the selection square. If the sequence of movements isn't in the right order, Painter thinks we want to add to a previous selection and the result is the Capture Dab command is greyed out.)

3. Use Brush Selector menu > Capture Dab.

4. In the Brush Controls palettes (or in the Brush Creator's Stroke Designer sections), make any brush control adjustments you want.

5. Use Brush Selector menu, Save Variant (or in the Brush Creator window, use Variant > Save Variant) to save your custom Captured Dab brush variant with a unique name.

6. If you want to move your custom Captured Dab brush variant to another brush category, use Brush Selector menu > Copy Variant (or in the Brush Creator window, use Brush > Copy Variant), chose the appropriate brush category name from the drop down list, then click the OK button.

7. Go to the brush category where you moved a copy of your custom Captured Dab brush variant and check to see it's there and it's working as intended.

8. Go back to the original brush category. Since you now have a copy of it in the other brush category, delete the redundant custom Captured Dab brush variant.

9. Select the source variant and use Brush Selector menu > Restore Default Variant (this is the brush variant selected when you made the brush control adjustments then saved your custom Captured Dab brush variant).

You should now have the following:
  • In the original brush category, the source variant restored to its default state and no remaining copy of your custom Captured Dab brush variant.
  • In the other brush category, only one copy of your custom Captured Dab brush variant.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2006, 12:28 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Portland Oregon

Hails from United States

Yes, you are definitly a brush maker, it's just the weird nominclature, and my troubles are prolly related to the other problems I'm now having, several differint warnig signs, that in yrs past, I never saw, and now it's like a disease spreading, as brushes that had no troubled past are acting up. Didn't mean for you to get bent from my ramblings.

Gallery
http://gregsplace.50megs.com
http://www.picturetrail.com/fugitive1

"Only the Mediocre will always meet expectations"
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2006, 12:42 AM
Enthusiast
California

Hails from United States

Jean, Marge, and Sherry,

Everything you see in the Brush Selector Bar's Brush Variant list and in the Brush Creator's Stroke Designer tab Brush Variant list is a Brush Variant.

That includes:
  • Brush variants installed with Painter IX (or whatever Painter version, or versions, you're using).
  • Brush variants added from the Painter IX CD
  • Brush variants added from Painter 7 and Painter 8 installed brush libraries
  • Brush variants added from Painter 7 and Painter 8 CD's brush libraries
  • Brush variants added from from Painter 6 and earlier version brush libraries, imported into Painter IX (or Painter 7 and Painter 8)
  • Custom brush variants downloaded from the Web (either individual brush variants, from brush categories, or from brush libraries), created and shared by other Painter users, and Painter artists, writers, and instructors, then added.
  • Custom brush variants added from third party Painter book CD's brush libraries, brush categories, or as individual custom brush variants
  • Custom brush variants you create and save.

Among these are:
  • Default brush variants that neither you nor other Painter users have customized and saved as custom brush variants. Among the default brush variants are default Captured Dab brush variants.
  • Custom brush variants you and other Painter users, artists, writers, and instructors create based on default brush variants. Among the custom brush variants there may also be custom Captured Dab brush variants.

In other words, no matter who created the brush variant, when it was created, how it was created, and what it's characteristics are, it's still a Brush Variant.

Even the default brush variants installed with Painter IX (and earlier versions) and on the Painter IX and earlier versions' CD's were created by people who work on (or worked on), or with, the Fractal Design Painter development team, the Metacreations Painter development team, and the Corel Painter development team, using the same brush controls available to us (or whatever brush controls were available with each Painter version).

Though we may create an entirely new and unique Captured Dab image from scratch, and use the Capture Dab command to capture that image, it's not possible to create any kind of custom brush variant, Captured Dab brush variant or not, without starting from an existing brush variant either installed with Painter, on the Painter CD, a custom brush variant shared by other Painter artists and Painter book writers, or a custum brush variant we created earlier, based on a previously created brush variant.

The rest of what makes up that custom brush variant and allows us to test the brush control settings and then use it to paint or draw is based on:
  • The Brush tool (or tool that initiates the brush engine and without which we could not do pixel based drawing or painting, or even testing of brush control settings while we create a custom brush variant).
  • Brush Controls found in the Brush Controls palettes, in the Brush Creator, and on the Property Bar (adjusted by Painter's developers or by Painter artists to make the brush variant behave in a certain way).

Only the original inventor, Mark Zimmer, and/or original developers of Painter created the brush engine, Brush tool, brush controls, and the first brush variant "from scratch" using their artistic and programming knowledge and skills.

Here are a couple of examples of custom Captured Dab brush variants I created last night that demonstrate how any custom brush variant (including a custom Captured Dab brush variant) is based on a source brush variant (or an existing brush variant) which we just use as a basis:

NOTE: It happens I remember the chain of events leading up to these two custom Captured Dab brush variants. The original ("ancestor") source brush variant for the first one was the Painter 7 default brush library's Watercolor's Dry Camel brush variant which I adjusted and saved as my custom Watercolor brush variant named "WCDryCamel-antique-pool". I've used that custom Watercolor brush variant many times in Painter 7, Painter 8, and Painter IX and recently made more brush control adjustments and saved it again as another custom brush variant named "WCDryCamlantiqpool_+2". That's the one I used as the current source brush variant for the first new custom Captured Dab brush variant. The original ("ancestor") source brush variant for the second one was a default Painter IX Artist's Oils brush variant, based on which I created a custom Artist's Oils brush variant, then used my custom Artist's Oils brush variant as the current source for my new custom Captured Dab brush variant (sorry, don't remember which brush variants were used as the original source brush variant and the current source brush variant). So the "ancestors" for both of my custom Captured Dab brush variants were created by the Corel Painter 7 development team (or possibly by the Metacreations Painter development team as Painter 7 was under development before Painter was sold to Corel) and the Corel Painter IX development team.

So much for history....

For the first one, I drew a quick "star" (very low resolution as you can see below), made a not-so-square-ish selection around it, then used the Brush Selector menu's Capture Dab command.

I chose one of my custom Watercolor brush variants and used the Brush Selector menu's Save Variant command and gave my custom Captured Dab brush variant a unique name. Then I restored the source variant (the custom Watercolor variant on which I based my custom Captured Dab variant) to its default state, selected my new custom Captured Dab brush variant, made a few brush control adjustments, then saved it again with the same name.

Here's a quick scribble done with the first custom Captured Dab brush variant, named Jin's_CapDab_041106:

For the second custom Captured Dab brush variant, I chose one of my custom Artist's Oils brush variants and saved it with a new name, again selected the star image and used the Capture Dab command. After making some brush control adjustments and playing with my new custom brush variant a bit, I saved it again with the same name. Here's another quick scribble done with the second custom Captured Dab brush variant, named Jin's_CapDab_041106_2 (which, of course, is no longer an Artist's Oils variant since the Dab Type is changed from Artist's Oils to Captured):

In case you'd like to play with these two custom Captured Dab brush variants and maybe (probably) improve on them I'm going to provide a ZIP file. It contains everything needed to complete the basic Painter brush folder and file hierarchy:

Brush Library > Brush Category > Brush Variant

Extract the ZIP file directly into the following folder:

Corel > Corel Painter IX > Brushes

Jin's_CapDabTest.zip

Last edited by Jin : 04-13-2006 at 12:56 AM.
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2006, 02:03 AM
A Local Legend
Texas

Hails from United States

Thank you for the indeapth explanation of the brush thingy LOL I know that had to be alot of research on your part! Much appreciated.
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2006, 02:16 AM
Portland Oregon

Hails from United States

Ms. Alba, I bet she has an intire book case shelf full of CDs and DVDs just chock full of Painter info going back to floppys, and has worked and thot so much about this proggie, that it's all there, either in her mind or close by;-)

Gallery

#52   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2006, 02:27 AM
A Local Legend
West coast USA

Hails from United States

Wow, too much information for me Jin. I like to keep it simple. To me, if I created the shape from scratch, and all of the settings from scratch then it will remain a captured dab brush from scratch in my mind and if I use a brush already in existance, but just tweak the settings, then to me it is a variance. I guess I will just have to continue in my 'abusive' ways. They make sense to me. LOL

Quote:
it's not possible to create any kind of custom brush variant, Captured Dab brush variant or not, without starting from an existing brush variant
This is only because the brush creator was set up to start with an existing brush. But once you change the brush itself, and all of the settings, it really ceases to be that brush and becomes a new one no longer based on the one the brush creator opened with, and entirely different. Actually, if you really think about it, it never was the one the brush creator opened with. That one was nothing but the key to open the door of the playhouse.

Anyway, since this thread is really for brush contributions and not how they are made or what they are called, back to business. Thanks for the contribution of your brush Jin.

Sony Nex6, Nikon P610, Sony WX300, SEL55/210, SEL3.5/30 Macro, SEL16/50, 1.8/50
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2006, 04:55 AM
Enthusiast
California

Hails from United States

Sherry,

Just a suggestion:

If you don't want brush creating discussions here (and I understand), how about making that a rule and we can do our brush related discussing in the Digital Art forum?

It's fine with me either way, and I don't want to disrupt the purpose of this thread.

I hope none of this discussion will be lost, though. I don't know if it's possible at WetCanvas! but in some message board forums including at mine and when I used to be an Admin and Moderator at In Depth Arts (then In Depth Discussions), it's possible to move a copy of a thread to another location, then pare out posts from the original thread so the topic remains focused.

In the Digital Art forum this thread could be completely copied with all posts included. Then the original thread left in this forum could be edited to remove non-brush sharing posts.

Again, just a suggestion to consider if it fits or ignore if it doesn't fit.

------------------------------

Since this post is already here, I'll respond to a couple of others, then stick to custom brush variant sharing posts:

Marge,

You're welcome. Not research, just the time to write, do the demo images, and put it together.

Greg,

I don't have any CD's except those that come with Painter and no DVD's but do have User Guides for Painter 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8, the Painter IX Handbook, and Help > Help Topics for all of them (plus three "lite" Painter versions), loads of practice, and a few years of teaching experience.

You could say I've been "immersed" for more than a decade. My family thinks I've drowned.

Last edited by Jin : 04-13-2006 at 05:13 AM.
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-23-2006, 11:46 PM
Portland Oregon

Hails from United States

Can I ask one small Qs? It seems like Joel has paper textures in his oil or acrylic painting, but I thot that paper didn't work in some, (according to what I read).

Gallery

#55   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2006, 01:21 AM
Immortalized
Cleveland, Ohio, USA

Hails from United States

I started making some custom brushes this weekend. Its pretty fun, once you get the hang of it. I don't have any worth sharing yet, but I did turn some of my favorite Photoshop brushes into captured dabs. They don't behave exactly the same in Painter, but I was able to get some interesting effects. Here's a sample of some of them.
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2006, 07:05 PM
Immortalized
Cleveland, Ohio, USA

Hails from United States

Adding some brushes to the library. Be gentle, I've only been doing this for a week or so!

Brush Descriptions:

concentric x4: A grouping of four concentric circles. A light texture brush that uses the foreground and background colors from the color selector.

grunge03: A hard edged texture and splatter brush. A ligt touch splatters the brush shape. Steady pressure causes the paint to pool with an irregular edge.

slimer: An irregularly shaped "wet" brush. Try mixing and overlapping colors for some interesting results. Note: This brush only works on the canvas, not the layers.

texture02: A gritty / sandy texturing brush. It also reacts to the paper texture.
Attached Files
File Type: zip digidabs.zip (117.6 KB, 335 views)
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2006, 09:45 PM
A WC! Legend
Ontario

Hails from Canada

thanks for posting your great looking brushes digi It is fun isn't it
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2006, 03:44 AM
A Local Legend
West coast USA

Hails from United States

Digi these look like great brushes. Thanks for contributing to our library!

Sony Nex6, Nikon P610, Sony WX300, SEL55/210, SEL3.5/30 Macro, SEL16/50, 1.8/50
  #59   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-01-2006, 06:01 AM
Enthusiast
California

Hails from United States

Hi again,

As a follow up to the thread named Pinstripe Glassy Birdies in the Digital Art forum, below is the more expanded demo of the custom brush variant used in that little painting:

Another demo, showing how this brush variant's strokes look when the brush Size is increased from its default 5.9 to 8.0 and 10.0:

If you'd like to experiment with it, here's my custom brush variant to download:

Jins_PinStripe_Glassy.xml

It's a single XML brush variant file so you can put it into any existing brush category's folder.

Put on your creativity hat, figure out something neat to do with it and show us how it's done!

I dare ya!

P.S. I invite you to post anything you do with the Jins_Pinstripe_Glassy variant and/or questions and comments about it in the Pinstripe Glassy Birdies thread in the Digital Art forum (link in first paragraph above) so we can see how different artists find ways to use it. Also, it'll be better to post there so we can avoid getting off track in this thread. (You can feel free to discuss anything roughly related to using this custom brush variant, customizing brushes, and painting in general with Corel Painter in that thread without worrying about getting "off topic" or "hijacking" my thread. I love it when a thread wanders a bit into other interesting territory!).

#60   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-01-2006, 03:46 PM
Enthusiast
California

Hails from United States

I just realized that it may not have been mentioned earlier but the download file in my post above for Jins_Pinstripe_Glassy.xml the Painter IX version.

In case you aren't using Painter IX (haven't tried to reproduce it for Painter 6 and don't know if it's possible what with changes in each new Painter version):

P7Jins_Pinstripe_Glassy.xml for Painter 7

P8Jins_Pinstripe_Glassy.xml for Painter 8

Again, it's a single XML brush variant file so you can put it into any existing brush category.