WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Landscapes
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-15-2019, 12:58 AM

Hails from United States
Morrison, Colorado

Hello, This is 10x14 inches painted with oils.

I guess I haven't really fixed some past problems. Thanks for looking.
Rob
Attached Images

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-15-2019, 04:14 AM
Enthusiast

Re: Morrison, Colorado

It is a beautiful vista Rob! What is troubling you - is it still the foreground? I think the rich, earthy colours against that bright sky, with its scudding clouds, are excellent.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-15-2019, 05:11 AM
A WC! Legend
Auchtermuchty Fife Scotland

Hails from Scotland

Needs a point of interest. A cowboy on a horse leading a pack horse, slightly off center heading for the gap in the hills. If he's in the middle distance you donít even have to be good at figures and horses. Would turn an anonymous 'landscape' into a little adventure and you have a winner.
Jim
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-15-2019, 10:32 AM
A Local Legend
Highlands of Scotland

Hails from Scotland

Hello Rob you have a very lovely painting there, but I do agree with Jim, the same thought came to my mind. There does need to be a focal point, it doesn't have to be a figure it can be one of the trees maybe made a little bigger or even a path could be created leading off to the distant rock.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-15-2019, 02:50 PM
A Local Legend
Salt Lake City

Nice work. I like the color contrast between the foreground and the sky. Gary
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-15-2019, 03:52 PM
Immortalized

Lovely painting - I agree with the others about a focal point - and agree with Caroline, it doesn't have to be a figure. The sky and clouds are beautifully painted
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-15-2019, 07:29 PM
wynnum Brisbane Q

Hails from Australia

A good looking tree may suffice to anchor the eye. Tho not the Bob Rossie
dab-dab stroke that we all know and love. The sky is certainly great - love that
along with the colour contrast as was mentioned by others. A good desert
oak might be good to go into a desert setting perhaps. Mr google will come up
with some good examples to get the pattern of the tree. It has the basis of a
really good painting. If it were my painting I would try for a single tree. Still
tho that's just me.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-16-2019, 01:30 AM

Hails from United States

Hey, thanks Bizzibee for the feedback and nice comments. Yeah I guess foregrounds troubles many others too.

Jim, thanks for the good idea. I will think on that.

Caroline, thanks for the words and advice. I appreciate it.

Gary, thank you for the nice comments and feedback.

CaliAnn, thanks for your kind words and feedback.

John, thanks for the nice words and advice. It's a good idea and I will mull it over.

Rob

Last edited by landsmith : 05-16-2019 at 01:32 AM.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-16-2019, 05:00 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Scotland

What is it that 'landscapers' (on WC) have against people in paintings.? I suggested a cowboy and horse. Immediately 'it doesnít have to be a figure' of course it doesnít. As for a tree, good idea, a big one would certainly draw your eye, but would simply be another tree, and probably look out of place with all the other stunted ones around. I personally would rather paint a figure and horses in the middle distance than what would have to be a pretty good tree as a feature. Trees are not the easiest things to paint convincingly. It all depends on what you feel comfortable with.
Jim
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-16-2019, 10:07 AM
Immortalized

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaskip
What is it that 'landscapers' (on WC) have against people in paintings.? I suggested a cowboy and horse. Immediately 'it doesnít have to be a figure' of course it doesnít. As for a tree, good idea, a big one would certainly draw your eye, but would simply be another tree, and probably look out of place with all the other stunted ones around. I personally would rather paint a figure and horses in the middle distance than what would have to be a pretty good tree as a feature. Trees are not the easiest things to paint convincingly. It all depends on what you feel comfortable with.
Jim

I don't think landscapers (WC) feel that way at all! Adding another option/opinion is nothing more than another way to look at things. Not everyone prescribes to the theory that a painting must have a figure, animal, or structure to provide a focal point or add "life" to a painting. I think light, color, movement also adds life, energy and creates a mood to a landscape. The landscape is full of life, with or without adding anything and letting the imagination of the viewer fill in the scene. Nothing wrong with a figure and horse either - I'm a big fan of your paintings and they always have something in them - but I'm also a fan of other artists on here who have different styles too. Just all opinions and options that the artist(poster) can take away and think on - that's all.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-16-2019, 10:51 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAnn
I don't think landscapers (WC) feel that way at all! Adding another option/opinion is nothing more than another way to look at things. Not everyone prescribes to the theory that a painting must have a figure, animal, or structure to provide a focal point or add "life" to a painting. I think light, color, movement also adds life, energy and creates a mood to a landscape. The landscape is full of life, with or without adding anything and letting the imagination of the viewer fill in the scene. Nothing wrong with a figure and horse either - I'm a big fan of your paintings and they always have something in them - but I'm also a fan of other artists on here who have different styles too. Just all opinions and options that the artist(poster) can take away and think on - that's all.

I totally agree, please disregard my suggestions for adding 'my type of life' to landscapes. It was the first thing that came into my head. As you say light, colour, movement does it all already, but remember to add a point of interest. Meanwhile Iíll keep adding the odd puff of smoke to a chimney. Kids dropping stones from a bridge into a river. Or a derelict Conestoga Waggon in a desert one like this. When I paint my landscapes.
My problem is, I'm an inveterate story teller.
Looking forward to the result of the advice given
Jim
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-16-2019, 11:31 PM

Hails from United States

Jim, I'm not sure what to say. But I appreciate all the ideas from everyone. I'm kind of confused, so I'm putting the painting on the back burner.
Rob
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-17-2019, 03:37 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by landsmith
Jim, I'm not sure what to say. But I appreciate all the ideas from everyone. I'm kind of confused, so I'm putting the painting on the back burner.
Rob

Rob Iím sorry if we, me in particular, have caused you confusion. Remember advice is only the opinion of the giver. If I were you. Iíd say thanks, but Iíll do my own thing. Art is personal. This is one painting. Right or wrong, itís time for the next one. The more you do the better you will get. As for advice, well, it is only that and is not mandatory. The most comprehensive Art encyclopaedia in the world is just a click away.
Good luck
Jim
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-17-2019, 09:41 AM
Lord of the Arts
Horseshoe Bay, TX

Hails from United States

I like this Rob, for me I see the focal point of this painting as the very interesting rock formations and the color of them contrast nicely against the sky.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-17-2019, 10:44 AM
A Local Legend
Maryland, USA

I like the emptiness here - it conveys that sense of "miles from anywhere" well. Those rocks are amazing, the colors are realistic, and I like the clouds, too.

Still much to paint and much to learn!
My Blog My Print Gallery