Home Forums Explore Subjects Landscapes Watercolour Tutorials

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Arnie

At the end of last year I got a copy of ‘Handbook of Watercolour Tips & Tehniques’ by Arnold Lowrey Et al off Amazon. I picked this one as it looked good value – with a range of styles and loads of pages!
        Since then I’ve been working thru the demonstrations – with mixed results and emotions – but it’s been well worth it in learning how to control the water and paint.
        Several had to be restarted, but I’ve only got one that’s ‘waiting for rework’.
        I found it easier to use the demonstrations as a guide and interpret/modify them to get them finished, so some of my versions are very different.
        A selection of my favourite/the more presentable ones.
        C&C appreciated.
        Thanks for looking.
        Arnie

CromfordCanal on Hahnemuhle Anniversary paper 24x32cm

Glencoe on Hahnemuhle Anniversary paper 24x32cm

Snowscene #2 on Hahnemuhle Anniversary paper 24x32cm

Holmfirth on Bockingford CP ¼ imperial

Farmyard on Bockingford CP ¼ imperial

Snowscene #1 on Bockingford CP ¼ imperial

These are really nice. They have a full range of values and beautiful colors. There also are a nice variety of textures. Great work. Gary

"Painting is a verb"

CaliAnn

I really love these Arnie! You managed to get so much texture and beautiful deep colors. All are bold and beautiful in my opinion! :)

Ohiohawk97

These are incredible Arnie! You are developing a masterful approach to watercolor…

Wes

You did a great job on these Arnie, I did the same when I started, copying demos from books. A good way to learn techniques.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

kahuella

I think they are all very nice paintings.
                    My favorite is Snowscene #2.

Mikael

dewarp

Wow Arnie. Fantastic collection of work. Well done!

regards – Peter

Aussiesrus

All very nicely painted Arnie & although I like them all the last one is an absolute stunner IMO & even reminds me of the artwork of Richard Schmid. Absolutely well Done !

Michael.

michaelcartwrightart.com.au
                            https://bluethumb.com.au/michael-cartwright
                            I'M NOT AS THINK AS YOU DRUNK I AM

sea dangler

Lovely paintings Arnie.
                                Dave

KaySilver

Some terrific paintings, Arnie – very nice work indeed.

I like using tutorial workbooks for learning and practice too. There are some really good ones available – I have several in different styles. They’re a great resource for learners and improvers, and I like the fact that you can choose how closely (or not) to follow the tuition.

I think my favourite of these is the first one. I like the soft colours.

Bizzibee

Well Arnie, you haven’t been posting for a while, but you have clearly be working very hard at your craft. These are all absolutely beautiful. If I had to pick a a “best in show” it think it would be the last one, but there really isn’t much in it! Excellent.

'One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star': Friedrich Nietzsche

Arnie

Thanks Gary, CaliAnn, Wes, Peter, Dave, and Claudia.
                                            Doug: Thanks. I’ve watched videos on youtube, but this is first time I’ve actually got the paints out and followed the directions.
                                            I would definitely recommend others to have a go, as its a great way of learning.
                                            Mikael, Michael: Thanks. This is a entirely imagined scene – I reimagined the entire right hand side to get it to work for me.
                                            Bizzibee: Thanks. I’m looking forward to doing some of my own, but not until I’ve finished the rest in the book.
                                            Thanks for all your comments which are much appreciated.
                                            Arnie:)

Skyenorth

A lovely selection of very lovely watercolour paintings Arnie. You have been working hard! I think at any time in a painting life it can be of great benefit to copy another artist’s tutorial, much can be offered in the learning of a new technique which is what the exercise is about. I know AL’s work he used to show his work here on WetCanvas. His work is very fluid and loose and his use of colour is nice too. In your exercises here I can still see these have your own style of how you work in watercolour. It will be interesting to see where the journey takes you and how you will use some of the new techniques into your own paintings after you have completed the book. I do like the texture in the bark of the foreground tree in the first painting. And Glencoe is of course my favourite!!!!

[URL=http://www.simmillarts.co.uk
                                                http://simmill-arts.blogspot.com/
                                                Success is never found. Failure never fatal. Courage is the only thing.
                                                Winston Churchill.

Arnie

Thanks Caroline – much appreciated.
                                                    I should of done this earlier – watercolour is less forgiving than oils/pastels.
                                                    I’ve not visited Glencoe myself, but we bought a trailer tent last year and the long term plan is to visit Scotland and my cousin in Stirling, who reclaimed his Scottish heritage 30+ years ago.
                                                    Thanks
                                                    Arnie

Skyenorth

Watercolour painting is extremely difficult Arnie! Hope you find your way to Stirling, there is a wonderful castle there you would enjoy painting!

[URL=http://www.simmillarts.co.uk
                                                        http://simmill-arts.blogspot.com/
                                                        Success is never found. Failure never fatal. Courage is the only thing.
                                                        Winston Churchill.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.