WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Landscapes
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-11-2019, 05:22 AM
Enthusiast

Re: Some Hills, a Sunrise and a Sunset

Thank you very much Gary. I think I might like the second too, so that is nice to hear from you also.

Thank you also Rob. Very kind. Looking forward to seeing some of your lovely works soon, hopefully!

Thank you Michael for your very thoughtful responses. I'm glad you like the flowers, as I stuck them in last minute. Everything is so green here, it gets monotonous at times. Wasn't sure if it was the right thing to do. Re the third I always wonder about the wildlife, but I'm not sure I would be any good at them, so I always play safe, EXCEPT I did put a flock of sheep in the first. They are very far off in the distance and I don't think they have worked, so I have proved myself right! 😃

Thank you too Dave. Very kind!

Thank you also Kay. I appreciate your comments!
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-11-2019, 08:26 AM
Lord of the Arts
Waterlooville, Hants, UK

Hails from United Kingdom

These are all very nicely done. The 3rd is also my favourite, and quite special. Lovely colours and softness. Hard to see this one started off with pallet knife.
Arnie
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-11-2019, 08:43 AM
A Local Legend
Highlands of Scotland

Hails from Scotland

Good morning Bizzi, you have done such amazing work in all three of your paintings. You are creating a good sense of distance in all of your work, not always easy to do! The third is my favourite I just love the colours and the simplicity of the landscape in this one with the lake. I don't think these days there are that many strict rules about how to paint. Experimenting with different mediums and tools is very popular. I too will use a palette knife and then often smooth out the work. It gets the paint onto the canvas efficiently and then you can build up or smooth out from that point. Looking forward to seeing more Bizzi paintings here soon. For now I am going to enjoy gazing at these fine views! well done!
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-11-2019, 09:44 AM
Lord of the Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizzibee
I did put a flock of sheep in the first. They are very far off in the distance and I don't think they have worked, so I have proved myself right! 😃

So those are sheep! Good job! It did work!
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-11-2019, 04:49 PM
Veteran Member
Tampere Finland

Hails from Finland

I like all of these. Very hard to find my favorite, but maby lake view is one for me.

Mikael
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-11-2019, 10:01 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

STUNNING WORK! All 3 are wonderful examples of blending color - the 3rd is my favorite - great use of color & textures in alln3..
http://painterofthesouthwest.blogspot.com/
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-12-2019, 07:50 AM
Enthusiast

Apologies Claudia for calling you Kay!

Ken thank you for your lovely comment! Very much appreciated. I was flattered by the biblical reference, just the "junior" bit made me think they thought it resembled a sub-standard illustration in a children's book.

Gay thank you very much too. Very kind. Hope you sold some paintings at the show!

Oh ntl, you should get a Wet Canvas prize for observation! You were right (well almost ) they were sheep. I meant to get rid of them but I forgot! The light spot you refer to is just my bad painting: I should have blended it in a bit more and I will indeed do that!. Thanks for spotting.

Arnie thank you very much. It certainly started that way but probably ended up 50/50! Much appreciated!

Well Good Morning to you Caroline, albeit the next day! You are right about the rules, I just think I personally felt a bit of failure reverting to a brush. It is very good to know you do the same sometimes. That makes me feel a lot better! I can't imagine anyone would want to "gaze at these fine views!" and I found your fine words very touching. Thank you.
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-12-2019, 11:19 AM
Immortalized
Jacksonville, FL

Hails from United States

Hi Bizzibee,

All three of these are superb paintings. All three have incredible skies in them and show real depth and atmosphere. As far as using a combination of palette knife and brush, there are plenty of artists that use a knife and brush within a single painting to great effect. If you get the desired effect you're after, use whatever you like. I think you nailed it!

The only thing I would say in the form of a critique is to start thinking about edge work and the use of "lost and found" edges in your paintings. You've got the simplification of masses, subtle shifts in value and temperature, all of that you have nailed down, and your skies are to die for, so it's all there. Edge work will sell the viewer on the atmosphere and distance in a painting even more.

As a reference, I would recommend looking at the work of Richard Schmid. The guy is very good at creating the illusion of depth by pushing the softness of edges, particularly in his backgrounds. Even in his portrait work where depth is only a few feet, he uses the manipulation of edges to great effect.

I suggest stuff, but know I think you are doing some awesome work!!

Randy
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-12-2019, 05:22 PM
Enthusiast

Yep, ntl, sheep! Well done!

Thank you very much Mikael, I appreciate your comment.

Richard thank you too. Your comment is greatly appreciated.
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-12-2019, 05:37 PM
Enthusiast

Randy, thank you, as always, for your help and advice. I have looked briefly at RS before. His books are outrageously expensive but I will delve into the internet. I think I do need to do a bit of reading and detailed studying, rather than just diving it every time.

Trying hard not to sound cheesy, but your words mean a great deal and are much appreciated. It is almost a year since I joined this forum: I know in that my work has improved and it is very much down to the encouragement I have received from posters here. More importantly, I don't think I would have stuck at it in the same way if I hadn't joined. Painting is something I have always wanted to do and now, having the opportunity and, crucially, the motivation to is a bit like winning the lottery! Thank you again.
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-12-2019, 08:48 PM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States

Love the big panoramas: You seem to be in your element here.
Beautiful!
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2019, 03:43 AM
wynnum Brisbane Q

Hails from Australia

Those skies are divine !!!!!!!! Wonderful stuff indeed.
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2019, 05:17 PM
Enthusiast

Thank you so much Derek. Very kind. I do like a big sky, you are right. I think it is the idea that you can fit so much on a canvas which appeals.

John you too! I appreciate all those !!!!!.