WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Pastels > Oil Pastel Library > Oil Pastel Challenges
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2019, 04:05 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: January oil pastel challenge and chat

Hello purpletrader and welcome back! Lovely mood in your painting and a sense of mystery.

Terriks, beautiful colours and the road is fantastic. Mira's looking good

Nothing left but smoke and cellar, and a woman with a black umbrella...
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2019, 12:45 PM
Enthusiast
SE USA

Hails from United States

Thank you, Sarah!

Film photographer with special love for alternative photographic processes - especially ones that get my hands dirty!
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2019, 08:26 AM
Veteran Member
Saint Petersburg, Russia

Hails from Russian Federation

My version of the winter Stockholm Man, I had planned to do at least two paintings for the challenge, but only managed to do one...
It took quite a long time to work on this one. Maybe later today I'll post WIP photos of the scraping technique I used for windows
Only now when I was editing the photos I noticed the church is leaning to the side...

Oh, yes, it is Canson Mi-Teints regular A4 size, light yellow tint
I really liked how prussian blue looked on the roofs (on the left), I didn't even blend the color. Not sure if it looks harmonious cause most of the other buildings all blended. But it was a little experiment... I feel like those old buildings require the tooth of the paper to be seens cause the buildings have deteriorated over time, and the paint on the buildings is scraping off in some places.
Did the snow very quickly and carelessly because I didn't feel the foreground was important here. My hubby says it looks more like water

Some details:

Get inspired with various artists' beautiful OP paintings in my blog's gallery: https://oilpastelist.wordpress.com/gallery/ the blog is in Russian, but you can still enjoy the art done in our favorite medium! <3
  #64   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2019, 08:33 AM
Standerton, South Africa

Hails from South Africa

Great going, Mira! Well done! These buildings do take quite a lot of time, especially at that small size you worked with
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2019, 10:53 AM
Veteran Member
Saint Petersburg, Russia

Thanks very much, Christel!
Yeah... it's first time I did a cityscape, so I was not prepared for the tricky details

At the beginning I decided to do the windows by scraping. Recently I read in Ken Leslie's book about how he quickly did the windows by using this technique.
So this is how I started (and doing the sketch with the perspective in mind was tricky too - took me over an hour!)

I was in doubt whether it's a good idea to go light over dark, and yeah, the dark was showing through at the next stage...

I even thought it was a mistake to choose scraping (because of the dark grey showing through). And it turned out that just painting the windows dark grey is not enough - they looked flat and unnatural:

And this is the final image which you've already seen. I made the windows look better by using various dark and light colors to cover most of the dark grey. As for the dark grey base showing through, this was fixed by going over the darker spots with a light color to make it match with the main color of the building. And it worked well!
Though some of the light colors seem harder than others and they nearly peeled off the previous layer. It's all Mungyo OPs.

It was cumbersome indeed and it would probably have taken me the same amount of time to draw all the windows by hand, but... it was good to give it a try and it's interesting that sometimes light goes over dark pretty well, like the ochre dots on the dark brown building on the right.
Get inspired with various artists' beautiful OP paintings in my blog's gallery: https://oilpastelist.wordpress.com/gallery/ the blog is in Russian, but you can still enjoy the art done in our favorite medium! <3
  #66   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2019, 11:54 AM
Enthusiast
Portland

Hails from United States

Nicely done Mira. Very tough scene and you did a great job. I like how the windows are unique as each building has it's own style , just like the photo.

My Instagram page: https://www.instagram.com/richarriagada/
  #67   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2019, 12:36 PM
Enthusiast
SE USA

Hails from United States

Good job, Mira! Sounds like you were really paying attention to each step, planning out your painting. You probably learned a lot just with this one painting! I like your treatment of the blue rooftops, and agree that just not blending can help with texture, especially with that Mi-Teintes paper. That paper is a good one to reach for when you know you want some texture.

Good job on the windows, and very nice palette. I find cityscapes very challenging, personally. You did great!

Film photographer with special love for alternative photographic processes - especially ones that get my hands dirty!
  #68   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2019, 02:24 PM
Veteran Member
Saint Petersburg, Russia

Thank you, Rich!
Haha, actually I tried hard to choose an easier cityscape... but in the end, most of cityscapes are tough

Thank you, Terri Glad you liked it! it was my first cityscape and I had no idea how to do it, so I was moving slowly and tried to think of my steps ahead... Yes, I've learned quite a bit and enjoyed it too
I do most of my works on Canson Mi-Teints because it's one of the most easily available and affordable kinds here. Today I got my sample pack of 7 kinds of sanded papers from Jackson's art... so I will try to a very different surface soon