WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Mixed Media, Encaustics, Collage and Alternative Materials
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-27-2018, 01:30 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: Urban Sketches

Sketch away, the quality of the sketches is not important it is the memories that they imprint in your head that matter. On a trip to New Zealand I made 90 sketches, many from the tour bus and only 1x2 inches in size. Indelible memories.

Doug
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-28-2018, 10:00 PM
Enthusiast
Westfir, Oregon

Hails from United States

There's something about sketching places and experiences that's very different from just taking photos to look at in an album later through the years. It's more like you're taking little threads of the spirit of the place and weaving those threads into the fabric of your life. It's not something mechanical and remote like a photo. That may sound sappy, but I think it's apt.
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-28-2018, 10:13 PM
Enthusiast
Westfir, Oregon

Hails from United States

Thank you, Kay and Doug. I just now saw you responded to my painting.

I do distinctly remember the sights, smells, and happenings from that day. One thing that stands out in my mind as vividly as if it were yesterday( but that I haven't painted) was that, as we were leaving the park, there was a family of raccoons just running like crazy toward the area we'd been. They go to that area and people give them food. We didn't, but we were told that there are usually raccoons who come for treats. There were at least six of them just travelling likety-split as we pulled out in the car.

It was a crispy cool fall day, K. Very breezy, too, down by the water, but it was one of those sunny fall days when it's so pleasant to sit and enjoy the scenery.

Jay-Bird 77, I really admire the scenes you've painted. Good job! I'm going to go out sketching soon. My daughter-in-law and daughter will probably be going out next week sometime. Maybe I'll have something to post, too.
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-28-2018, 10:48 PM
Enthusiast
Westfir, Oregon

Hails from United States

I just went back through the thread catching up on the art work that's been posted.

vhere, I love your work on the tinted paper. I'm going to eventually try using tinted paper myself.

KreativeK, I love that peaceful fall sketch you posted. It's beautiful.

eraethil, that took some patience and skill to draw all those bowls and to make them all in the same size and shape so accurately.

simon_ess, you've got wonderful precision and perspective in your sketch and I like it even more since you added the color to it.

Monastic, I love that you used pen and colored pencil. I wouldn't have thought of that, but what a good idea. And it's a very nice effect.

I didn't keep up with the posts that were going on in this thread because I kept forgetting where to find it. I have it pinned down now, so I won't lose it. I bookmarked it and I also wrote it down in a little notebook I keep.
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2018, 01:28 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Ellen, I have altered your options to give you notification when someone replies to a thread you have posted in. You will get an email with a link to the thread.

If you wish to unsubscribe to a particular thread go to thread tools at the top and hit unsubscriibe. Similarly if you want to make a one off comment and don't want to see following comments, scroll down and select the no subscription option.

Doug
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2018, 05:38 AM
A WC! Legend
england

Hails from England

I did another one of pretty much the same view as 3 previous ones. I should have been going to a local urban sketchers meet but it was so cold and wet I chickened out.

Instead I did this from the warmth indoors. The houses across the square are almost hidden by the apple blossome and bright pompoms of the kerria. But a grey, cold dismal day. All within this month we've had snow, heatwaves, endless rain always changing.

MY WEBSITE:http://vivienblackburn.com MY BLOG:http://vivienb.blogspot.com/ ETSY for original paintings http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6150568
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2018, 07:14 AM
Lord of the Arts
The Land of the Moonrakers

A visit to Batsford Arboretum in Gloucestershire, taking advantage of the lovely weather we experienced for just 3 or 4 days last week. I perched on a lumpy rock to get down the basics of this little building - pen, Inktense pencils and waterbrush. Stronger watercolour washes and more pen details were added at home.

Approx 8" x 5"
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2018, 07:22 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

It's lovely Sonia, there's nothing nicer than sitting in a beautiful garden painting.

Doug
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2018, 01:55 PM
Enthusiast
Westfir, Oregon

Hails from United States

Thank you for subscribing me, Doug. That will help a lot. This is such a huge forum that it's easy to get lost.
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2018, 10:17 AM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States

A very nice rendering of the house, Sonia!
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2018, 01:52 PM
A WC! Legend
england

Hails from England

some really nice ones here

and another version of the urban garden - back to the grey S&B Nova sketchbook (I love it) with acrylic. The tree is just laden and the buildings totally hidden for the time being

MY WEBSITE:http://vivienblackburn.com MY BLOG:http://vivienb.blogspot.com/ ETSY for original paintings http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6150568
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2018, 01:47 PM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States

The colors and scents of Spring, ahhhhhhh! Well done!
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2018, 04:29 PM
Lord of the Arts

Our Urban Sketchers meeting on Saturday was at the site of an old canal bridge near the centre of town. The canal has long gone, now a walkway and cycle path, but one face of the bridge has been painted with an impressive mural.

The full mural is about 4 times this length

At one end, a large concrete pillar has morphed into Dr. Who's Tardis and this is what I chose to sketch - the final page in my Grey Book.

#59   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-14-2018, 03:09 PM
Enthusiast
South Africa

Hails from South Africa

Mauritius

I am currently on holiday in Mauritius. It's our third visit to this exquisite island. Everywhere you look there is a scene which is a potential picture. The people of Mauritius are also marvellous.

Some sketches from Black River (Rivièr Noir) - the beach and view from Olana - which was our absolutely idyllic apartment right on the beach and bay.

Also from our current venue which is Le Domaine de Saint Aubin, which is a very beautiful estate that produces rum from sugar cane (of course), and grows vanilla and anthuriums. There are wonderful heritage buildings (1819), one of which we are staying in called Auberge.

Views at Olana - with Le Morne mountain in the background (this has a tragic history)

Olana

Olana

Pruned tree Auberge garden. +. Auberge - verandah

Saint Aubin Mill and distillery - heritage tower versus "modern" tower.

The background on which I photographed the Moleskin is floor slabs made from volcanic rock.

I hope to convert some of these into WCs when I get home.
  #60   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-14-2018, 03:23 PM
Lord of the Arts

Great sketches - they will make splendid watercolours.