WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Composition and Design
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-20-2017, 03:10 PM

Need to do a nature scene with with two main subjects

Hello,

So I'm planning this painting I want to do and I had an idea on how I wanted to attack the background. I want to paint trees and make them look impressionistic without a ton of detail that would take away from my two main subjects (a hawk and a wolf). The picture I chose is a nature scene with trees and foliage all across the page but to the left corner there's the sun behind the trees with light beaming through and touching the leaves with strands of light all through out the scene. So I thought I'd tint the canvas with a solid color first then I would add a color that would be lighter that could act as high lights and I could sort of make shapes with that color that could act as the light beaming in. I would probably tint the back with a middle tone then use a darker one and my high light to create these beams and sort of chisel out the effect. Kind like taking a solid mass of color and adding layers that show different tones that would in theory create the effect I want. But my one concern is how my subjects colors will be effected once I paint them onto that solid tone. any thoughts?

Thanks

Tony
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-22-2017, 12:35 PM
Lord of the Arts

Re: Need to do a nature scene with with two main subjects

The only way to know is to try it out
Using oil paint? Consider doing a few smaller, simpler, color studies first, maybe 4x6 or 6x8" studies, even on just bond paper, maybe with crayons or oil pastels, or watercolor on paperboard. If your process seems appropriate, do a small study on your support. Good practice that way. Work out problems along the way.

Right now I'm doing a similar thing. I just finished my fourth study of the same scene on bond paper using graphite. This fourth, 6x8", is a bit bigger and more complete drawing than the others, and I plan to color it with oil pastels to sort of work out the colors I need. My goal in this is to get a good sense of depth, using size, overlap, and hue. The next one will probably be 6x8", in oil, on canvas paper or board.
This is all part of learning for a larger but unrelated project, that I also want a good sense of depth in.
Other people will do things differently, choose what works for you.

Last edited by ntl : 06-22-2017 at 12:38 PM.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-22-2017, 04:31 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Oregon

Hails from United States

It's hard to comment without seeing any of your work , I think the results will depend on your skill level and the degree of realism you aim for.
Oils, acrylics, other?
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-28-2017, 09:11 AM

You wouldn't happen to have an example of your work? I find it really hard to give an opinion without an example first...
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-19-2017, 02:22 PM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone
Hello,

So I'm planning this painting I want to do and I had an idea on how I wanted to attack the background. I want to paint trees and make them look impressionistic without a ton of detail that would take away from my two main subjects (a hawk and a wolf). The picture I chose is a nature scene with trees and foliage all across the page but to the left corner there's the sun behind the trees with light beaming through and touching the leaves with strands of light all through out the scene. So I thought I'd tint the canvas with a solid color first then I would add a color that would be lighter that could act as high lights and I could sort of make shapes with that color that could act as the light beaming in. I would probably tint the back with a middle tone then use a darker one and my high light to create these beams and sort of chisel out the effect. Kind like taking a solid mass of color and adding layers that show different tones that would in theory create the effect I want. But my one concern is how my subjects colors will be effected once I paint them onto that solid tone. any thoughts?

Thanks

Tony

Color is not a big issue - texture is an issue ... once paint is dry you can fairly easily alter/change the color. once texture is dry there is No changing it unless you want to get out the sand paper or a grinder.

given that you joined WC! 10 years ago and only have 1 post, that's now a month old, I will leave it at that and blather on more if you return.

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek,Igbo(Nigeria)

Last edited by La_ : 07-19-2017 at 02:25 PM.