WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Digital Art > The Digital Library
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2014, 12:58 PM
Copenhagen

Hails from Denmark
Splitting an image in Photoshop

When you have a photo you want to paint from it can be a good idea not to have too many colours.
To get fewer colours in the photo and at the same time split the colours so you know exactly where each color have to go you can use Photoshops
Save for Web/GIF generator.

At this link I show in steps with screenshots and text how to do it.

http://sensuallogic.com/painters-too...photoshop.html

Last edited by Christian Skeel : 03-20-2014 at 01:07 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2014, 01:07 PM
Sicily, Italy

Hails from Italy
Re: Splitting an image in Photoshop

very very useful!!!
thanks a lot!!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2014, 02:39 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

There are a couple of alternatives to what you showed that may be faster.

1. The same effect of reducing an image to a specific number of colors is gotten by going to the Image menu, the Mode submenu, and selecting "Indexed color..." At that point you have many palette options, but a fast one is simply selecting "Local (Perceptual)" and inputing the number of colors you want. Once you figure out how to do this and get comfortable with it this can be done in about 10-20 seconds if you don't need to fine tune it.

2. Go to the Filter menu, the Artistic submenu, and select "Cutout..." This option is limited to only 8 colors or less, but gives a few slider bars for adjusting how you want it to look. Again, it should take less than 20 seconds.

I think it would be preferable to post photos and complete information on this site rather than offsite. This statement appears in the description of a few of the forum sections of WetCanvas- "Using offsite links to show your images is not acceptable or in keeping with the intent or spirit of this site and may be removed by the Moderators. Please post images of your work here with the Uploader or Attach them."

Instead, many people here post a link to their blog or whatever else in their signature.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2014, 02:54 PM
Copenhagen

Hails from Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow_oxide
There are a couple of alternatives to what you showed that may be faster.

1. The same effect of reducing an image to a specific number of colors is gotten by going to the Image menu, the Mode submenu, and selecting "Indexed color..." At that point you have many palette options, but a fast one is simply selecting "Local (Perceptual)" and inputing the number of colors you want. Once you figure out how to do this and get comfortable with it this can be done in about 10-20 seconds if you don't need to fine tune it.

2. Go to the Filter menu, the Artistic submenu, and select "Cutout..." This option is limited to only 8 colors or less, but gives a few slider bars for adjusting how you want it to look. Again, it should take less than 20 seconds.

I think it would be preferable to post photos and complete information on this site rather than offsite. This statement appears in the description of a few of the forum sections of WetCanvas- "Using offsite links to show your images is not acceptable or in keeping with the intent or spirit of this site and may be removed by the Moderators. Please post images of your work here with the Uploader or Attach them."

Instead, many people here post a link to their blog or whatever else in their signature.

You are right indexed colors is a fast option but I prefer to be able to choose which colors to keep and which not. Being able to do that you can get a much smaller number of colours without loosing important details. And I like the process of choosing:-) I know what I need when I paint and I might as well prepare the image so as much as possible suits my needs.

Thanks for the advice on uploading images instead of linking to my website. I will keep that in mind.