WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Art Journals
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#106   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-17-2018, 12:15 PM
WC! Guide
Henderson, Nevada, USA

Hails from New Zealand
Re: A Fist Full of Pencil Shavings

Your sketches are wonderful works of art. Looking through all your sketchbooks would be a feast! And your comment about the Scavenger Hunt thread make me think I should check it out. Thanks!

Kate
  #107   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-17-2018, 04:46 PM
A WC! Legend
Long Island

Hails from United States

Your still life combinations are always so interesting!
  #108   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-17-2018, 05:46 PM
Lord of the Arts
The Land of the Moonrakers

Hails from United Kingdom

Great sketches (if a little nightmarish at times)!! You must be filling up those sketchbooks now.
  #109   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2018, 05:58 PM
UK

A slightly late Spring clean for me this year (here in the UK the weather has been somewhat un-springy-like ( ), but I managed a good first round yesterday in the ground floor department: Many a cushion cover was torn from it's host and put through the washer, a decent batch of old clothing was cut up to be used as rags, some curtains were torn asunder - finishing a slightly sloppy job my cats had started - and a few inconspicuous draws were opened and their contents dashed to the floor for further inspection.

Oh, what's this... Could it be an old cardboard folder that I must have stolen from secondary school? All the visual cues seem to say it is so. I guess I am, indeed, a thief! Oh, dear. The stuff inside doesn't bode too well for me either. But I have an idea...

The next small smattering of posts will probably be me sifting through a long forgotten folder of very old (some pre-pubescent) sketches I have done, and ripping, tearing, crumpling, crushing, biting (?) at them; and then forming the pieces into a mish-mash of pages I can have fun with. I'm all for recycling!

Maybe, now that I'm older and have responsibilities beyond myself, I can find some honest food for thought from the younger me. If not, I can always just have fun ripping things up and getting to use the glue and scissors.

Seriously, when was the last time you did that?

Vhere: Damn, I need to respond to your recent work!

KiwiKate: At this point I think I will always find your username endearing, haha. Thanks, and I do hope you drop in on a Scavenger Hunt when you can. I'm not a regular myself, but once you start it's difficult not to pop your head in the forum - even if you don't have time to participate.

Joan: I always feel guilty responding to you. The output is so gorgeous. My only hope is to assume you are retired. If that is not the case, then I am a confirmed ass. I know I could do a little sketch while eating breakfast but I don't.

Sonia: I appreciate your thoughs and encouragement. Any "nightmarish" elements are just me enjoying various aspects of nature and/or culture. There's a lot of cuteness and love going on. I've only posted one image that has darker undertones (post #69), but even that is rooted in the idea of different experiences. Check out Carl Sandburg's poem, 30. Southern Pacific. Going forward, I cannot honestly say there will be no uncomfortable material. All I can say is that it comes from a fun heart.

Sketch-Blog
  #110   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2018, 07:36 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States

Well that is quite the impressive collection of sketches I must say. You have an interesting style of handling edges and hatching or cross hatching textures. So many little things I can pick out from your work and perhaps even include in my own someday. Thank you so much for sharing, truly inspiring.

Delofasht
  #111   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2018, 03:58 AM
A WC! Legend
england

Hails from England

it's on my to-do list to go through old old stuff - loving the ideas for taking things forward. I've even got a couple of bits from my A level at school a long long time ago and my Foundation year at art college, equally long ago - it would be interesting to find them at the back of the cupboard - not looked at in years.

MY WEBSITE:http://vivienblackburn.com MY BLOG:http://vivienb.blogspot.com/ ETSY for original paintings http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6150568
  #112   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2018, 04:38 PM
UK

Delofasht: Yikes, thank you. To possibly inspire someone else is a very warming feeling. You mention my hatching style and I can only be honest here: Maybe it looks "interesting" to you because I really don't have the patience to make everything just so. I honestly can't be arsed so I just keep my hand/forearm moving and let it stand at that. I'm not doing plaster studies of a foot here, haha.

Vhere: Oh, I beg you to have a decent rummage and bring forth the ancient scribbles. You don't have to destroy and mock them as heavily as I seem to be doing, but maybe go back and do a paint over or two, have a revisit, take some time to correlate. I haven't posted any real thoughts yet, but I'm half tempted to do so because, so far, this activity (?) has really had a nice impact (possibly too strong a word) on how I may move forward. Also much more than that. Bah... It can be fun. Put it that way.

Below are a few more destructive efforts. The first has two stages. I'm only posting both to hopefully show how this rip it up and paste behaviour can result in very boring compositions. In the end I gave up and just went for the old billboard look.

Sketch-Blog
  #113   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2018, 03:13 AM
A WC! Legend
england

Hails from England

it could be interesting to scan and play digitally as well, using overlaying options? then work from that taking it forward?

MY WEBSITE:http://vivienblackburn.com MY BLOG:http://vivienb.blogspot.com/ ETSY for original paintings http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6150568
  #114   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2018, 10:40 AM
Beautiful BC

Hails from Canada

Unladylike sleeping cat pose indeed! Good spooky mannikins. How fun to uncover old work and collage them. What type of surface are you collaging onto? And how do you prepare the surfaces? I agree with you about having many interests
Moderator for: Artwork From Life (Scavenger Hunts) All Media Art Events (WDE) Art Journals (Sketchbooks)
  #115   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2018, 03:26 AM
Enthusiast
South of France

Hails from France

Very inventive collages, and atmospheric too.

I love every one of your entries,because of the diversity of it, despite a style of your own.

Thank you.

https://womenwagepeace.org.il/en/
  #116   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2018, 08:34 AM
A WC! Legend
Australia

I just adore coming into your thread to see your work
  #117   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2018, 12:19 PM
UK

Vhere: I like doing paintovers with digital stuff. It can be a great way to explore an idea, or revisit old work with a different perspective in mind. I wouldn't want to post that kind of material in this thread, as I wanted to keep it graphite orientated as much as I can. I wouldn't want the thread title to be false advertising, hehe.

Eye: Much appreciated. I'm pasting things into the cheapest sketchbook you might well imagine. The paper is horrible, but somehow I have found a certain charm to it. If you look at the right side of post #18 (the cardboard inside cover), and the left side of post #21 (the first page), you can probably see how the binding of the book is already looking like it's been through some major trauma. If anything, it's the perfect sketchbook to slap old sketches in. If I manages to fill the book, I did think of leaving it outside and photographing the pages over time. Maybe get some mould and cute slug/snail interactions going on.

As to how I prepare the surface? I guess I just look at the blank, flimsy, slightly grayish page, and think of recycling and trees.

Provenceaquarelle: Thank you. I'm very pleased the word "atmospheric" was used with regards to my scribbles. That makes me feel I'm somewhat on the right track. If only I could concentrate and make pages flow from one to the next.

Laudesan: Very kind of you to show an interest. I honestly need to step up my game.

Another amalgamation of old sketches...

I'll probably do a few more pages like this, because it's simply fun and a change of pace for me (messing around with glue, and scissors etc... ), but if I'm honest, I have been met with no real thoughts or understanding of my past scribbles that mean anything to me. At least anything worth my time.

Sketch-Blog
  #118   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2018, 06:38 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States

I really like this last page, it is almost an entire illustration now. I know the feeling of needing to start orchestrating the pages from one to the next, maybe tell a story from it all. Just bought a few sketchbooks recently that I haven't started any work in just yet. Going to organize things for each one, using the tiny one as a general purpose pocket sketchbook (that happens to allow me to use any media in it), and use my bigger one for a specific project, and the last one is actually going to be for my finished works where I paint directly into it finished looking works of art to show prospective clients my range of skills and media.

Since each is serving a specific purpose I may need a couple extras for Portraits, life studies, and visual journaling, since I do all of these things. Haven't quite decided on which brand for the other things, but it'll likely end up being Crescent RendR paper sketchbooks (I really love that paper).

Delofasht
  #119   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2018, 02:44 PM
UK

Delofasht: Yeah, I know. I'm a little late, but what you talk about resonates with me rather a lot. I hope you have a different work ethic than me, because I have so many sketchbooks I have started, but only a few I managed to finish...

- I bought some A5 journal thing where the pages alternate in colour every 20 or so turns. Bah... I'm 3 (?) pages in.

- Bought another hardback sketchbook with lovely smooth archive paper. Did a two page spread to test it out... wonderful. Ordered another one and had the intention of filling it with sketches of everything nautical or "of the sea". I deliberately picked the blue cover version, aww... Haven't touched it. Figured I would order another few of those sketchbooks because I know they tend to have a finite run. I go on Amazon and, of course... "currently unavailable". Not strictly true, because I see I can buy one for £120. Bargin.

- Grabbed a little square hardback sketchbook because I thought it looked cute. Big plans to fill it with... nothing. Still in the draw.

- Art sale! Yahoo!!! I'll take two of the green and two of the orange in A4, please. Actually, make that two of the green and orange in A5 as well. Oh, go on... throw me a few of those grey ones with dots too!

- Ahh... the gift of the journal. Well I've got two now and it's way past the mid-year point. They are both lovely, but untouched. The one I want to fill with local flavour and little things/junk. Still haven't touched it (smells nice though).

I could go on, but I think you might get the idea: Regarding the current sketchbooks that I have scribbled in, the one that is most full is a horrible (was, but I've grown to love it) recycled thing from a "Pound Shop" (UK). I'm sure these shops exist in many different parts of the world under different currency terms, but what I am saying is I have mostly sketched in a book that cost me one single pound. The paper is... grrr... fun!

Sorry for the long response, but the buying of sketchbooks is such a fun endeavour, and worthy of the banter, I think.
----------------------------------
Anyway, I've been busy with other interests and my scribble side has been on the back burner. What little time I've devoted to art has been in the scavenger hunts (check out the new one *wink, wink*), but rarely graphite. I just wanted to break the silence here, post some odd bits and get in the mood for Autumn & Winter. My favourite seasonal sketching period.

Recent Scavenger thing... Bah.

A few from a semi-recent time period where I was wrong about more things than I am now.

Sketch-Blog
  #120   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-21-2018, 04:48 AM
A WC! Legend
england

Hails from England

a lovely series - trees that are individuals with character and I like the collaging too, something I don't do enough of, except digitally.

I think it would be fine to share some of the digital stuff - I regard it as another sketchbook, thinking around ideas. It is really good for that.

I've learned over the years that I just hate cheap sketchbooks and flimsy paper. I'm too hard on the paper. Sunday, doing some life drawing in the hated Strathmore I ended up with ink bleeding through and a hole in one page I need to get the buff coloured Nova in the bigger size as the same mix of media and tough treatment didn't buckle, sink through or go into holes in the smaller one I was given.

I have a LOT of sketchbooks on the go at once. I am unconcerned about how long it takes to fill them but want the paper and size that I need at that time. Some are themed but most are a mix of anything and everything.

I don't usually like working small, preferring 19 x12 ins or bigger.