WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Artist Marketplace > Gold Partner: F+W Media, Inc.
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-18-2013, 09:15 AM
the Bluegrass State

Hails from United States
Is it summer yet?

It's mid-March in the Midwest. It's cold out; and it's been so cold for so long that my bones feel cold. I try to boycott winter; going coatless on sunny days or taking long walks despite the bitter wind. The memory of summer keeps me from up-and-moving nearer to the equator.

On a day like this, I consider what it's like to wear sandals and thin skirts, sunscreen and hats that are more for shade and fashion than retaining body heat. Thinking about last summer, a favorite memory popped into my head. My son, an adolescent artist, had asked me to come outside and draw with him in his little pop-up tent. "Heck yes!" I replied.

The tent was so small that I had to sit only partly inside, with my head ducked down. It was on the grass, under the shade of a tree. It was windy that day; but not so windy as to make it a hassle to draw en plein air. I had my sketchbook and a brand new set of colored pencils. My little guy sat next to me and went to town with his own drawings. But what did I want to draw? I began with a dot.

A day or so before this pleasant afternoon, I had heard news that a dear relative had passes away. Spending this time in the tent, half inside and half in the spotted shade from the tree, choosing colors and drawing freely, was therapeutic. I ended up sitting there long after my son had finished and moved on to play elsewhere. Thank goodness for art as a way of expressing emotions.

Do you love to sketch too? For relaxation, or as a study for more realistic drawings and paintings, it's best to have a foundation. During the North Light Shop sale, Sketching Your Favorite Subjects in Pen and Ink by Claudia Nice is only $3.40. That saves you $13.59 off the retail price, so get out your sketchbook and take advantage of this deal. Before too long we'll all be able to enjoy summer again, and doing things like sitting under a tree and drawing, as the sun itself draws its own shadows across the day. (Oh, and it's not that I hate winter--I just love summer.)

Until next time,
Cherie

More deals at North Light Shop >>>