WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-09-2003, 02:09 PM
Enthusiast
Baldwinsville, N.Y.

Hails from United States
1 Large painting or several smaller ones?

Hiya folks!

Happy Saturday!

Was wondering what you guys think .... I'm wanting to do large paintings again ... abstract of course .... and some expressionism, if that's the word for it. But I don't want to have to 'ship' large pieces when a bidder on ebay wins it ... IF they even bid! LOL!!

Anyway ... was thinking what you think of '1' large piece vs several smaller pieces that would be able to be put together to make a larger piece.

Of course ... folks could also place them any way they wanted to, not neccessarily together in a square ... whatever they choose.

They would also be easier to ship ... since you could use a smaller box in general ... but would have to place them on top of each other ... with something in between of course.

What's your take on this?

Hugs,
Dee
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-09-2003, 02:32 PM
A WC! Legend
Lawn Guylind

Hails from United States
My take is it belongs in the business forum and not composition.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-09-2003, 02:50 PM
Cataldo, ID

Hails from United States
Hi dd50,
I guess I missed something here as this seems to be general art business discussion and this is a business question.

I have done dyptichs and triptychs before and they are very successful. Just be sure each painting stands on its own merit so they can be combined or separate. I think it's a sound marketing and business idea.

Best wishes,
Carrie Stuart Parks
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-09-2003, 02:58 PM
A WC! Legend
Lawn Guylind

Hails from United States
carrie this was moved from the composition forum.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-09-2003, 04:02 PM
Enthusiast
Pennsylvania

Hails from United States
I thought that the bidder was responsible for the shipping so if you take to to Mailboxes, etc or someplace like that , they will crate it or whatever has to be done to send it and insure it so that you don't have to worry about it. I would assume this would go COD.

Atrsy
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-09-2003, 04:04 PM
Cataldo, ID

Hails from United States
Aaahhhh, Arlene, I DID miss something!!
Thanks!
-Carrie
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-09-2003, 04:35 PM
A WC! Legend
Lawn Guylind

Hails from United States
artsy mailboxes etc are way too expensive. best to learn to pack your own and send them.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-10-2003, 06:20 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Hails from Canada
If you feel compelled to paint large, so you should...
The customer pays the shipping - and large paintings ship flat very well, bound in layers of corragated cardboard. I don't actually find it any more difficult to ship large or small...( with the exception of framed w/glass, which still shipped fine but I was attentive to issues resulting from shipping glass)

I always package my own as well, large sheets of corragated cardboard are to be had for free from just about any framing or appliance store...
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2003, 06:54 PM
Enthusiast
Baldwinsville, N.Y.

Hails from United States
Hi Arlene,

I guess I was thinking that it would be a composition question, because I was really also trying to get an idea of the placement and display of several small paintings ... as opposed to one large one.

But it's cool it's here ....

Dee
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2003, 06:57 PM
Enthusiast
Baldwinsville, N.Y.

Hails from United States
Hiya Carrie!

Well, it was actually a question about composition as in 'placement' of several small paintings ... as opposed to one large painting ... was wondering how many folks did them, compared to one larger one. ... but it's cool in here too, cause I guess it is a biz question too.

By the way, what's the difference between a dyptich and a triptych? I remember seeing those titles in ebay now .... didn't realize that was what they were.

Yes, I agree about it standing alone also ... I'd make sure of that.

Hugs,
Dee
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2003, 07:02 PM
Enthusiast
Baldwinsville, N.Y.

Hails from United States
Hi Artsy,

Yes .. that's true, they do pay for shipping, but I guess I'm trying to avoid the hassle of packing one large painting, finding boxes, etc ... cause I have allot of health issues I'm dealing with, and it's hard on me to have to struggle with large items.

I was thinking that several smaller ones would be easier to pack, and prepare ...

Hugs,
Dee
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2003, 07:05 PM
Enthusiast
Baldwinsville, N.Y.

Hails from United States
Paintergirl:

Yes ... I suppose you're right .. but it's a hassle for me to struggle with large pieces, with my health issues ... very bad back, neck, and shoulders. Also, finding the cardboard and boxes is difficult for me, as I don't get out allot.

Just thought the smaller pieces would be easier for me all around.

Hugs,
Dee
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2003, 09:46 PM
Cataldo, ID

Hails from United States
Hi dd50,
The Coeur d'Alene Resort purchased a single painting from me that they made into a triptych (3 parts). They also bought a single and four paintings that were part of a set. I sold a series--not quite a triptych--that was a 7' watercolor, 6' watercolor and a 50" or so watercolor (flying geese). Harpers, Inc. bought a triptych. I've sold a fair number of dyptichs (two parts) and triptychs. They are easier to ship!

Best wishes,
Carrie
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-13-2003, 09:38 AM
Enthusiast
Baldwinsville, N.Y.

Hails from United States
Carrie,

Ah! Of course .... now I get it ... 2 and 3 parts!

Well, that sounds neat ... that folks use their own imagination in purchasing and arranging the paintings themselves. I suppose there are many ways to display pieces ... and they don't have to be a 'set' per se ... as long as they go together to make the owner happy.

And I do agree that they'll ship easier.

Thanks for the info.
Hugs,
Dee