WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Pastels > Oil Pastel Society
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2012, 05:09 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States
Is artistnetwork.tv worth it?

I saw that their videos are usually in the $15-16 range, and I'm just not sure if they would be of real value to me. Would they? Most of the stuff I'm seeing on youtube (a lot of it is just segments of artistnetworktv stuff) is "pretty", but without much ....if any substance.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2012, 11:44 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: Is artistnetwork.tv worth it?

I subscribe to their online streaming watercolour videos and they are good value but of late I have been having buffering problems even though I have fast broadband.

Doug
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2012, 03:02 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Thanks for the info, Doug. When I looked at the lineup of videos I wasn't too impressed with the quantity. I know that quality trumps quantity, but at the price they're charging (especially since there is no one-on-one interaction) they NEED to offer more tutorials and such.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2012, 06:29 PM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Actually there is a good selection of Watercolours fot $50 per 6 months. I have been impressed by the range.

Doug
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-14-2012, 10:47 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

It depends on how you use them. I've joined on two or three different occassions. I'll watch one or two videos and forget about them until my subscription expires.

So for me, it's not worthwhile. However, if you watch two or three times a week and practiced the techniques you learn there, yes I would say it is worth while.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-15-2012, 06:58 PM
Enthusiast
Dixie

Hails from United States

If you only want to study one media, buying videos that interest you is better. There are more artists to choose from. If you want to study multiple media, the $50/6mo is a great resource. Just don't let them go until the last week.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-29-2012, 11:50 AM
Resting in Peace

Hails from United States

I'm not totally familiar with them, but I do know that for me it would be hard as I wouldn't be able to find the time to watch and then work consistantly. And they don't have oil pastels which is what I would be interested in.

Pat
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2013, 11:26 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from Australia

I subscribed, and had a different problem: they quickly chewed up my broadband usage - especially if you put one on pause for more than a few minutes, it still keeps downloading. I thought I had an adequate plan. However, this then left little mb left for regular internet stuff. So I didn't renew my subscription. Have bought dvds from various artists instead.
cheers
Donna
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2013, 09:20 PM
A Local Legend
California

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Isaac
I'm not totally familiar with them, but I do know that for me it would be hard as I wouldn't be able to find the time to watch and then work consistantly. And they don't have oil pastels which is what I would be interested in.

Pat

Pat, maybe you should do one for them on oil pastels!
Would be great as I live to far to go to classes. . .

Steve, thanks for that link!!

Last edited by RainySea : 03-07-2013 at 09:26 PM.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-09-2013, 10:13 PM
A WC! Legend
Rabun Gap, GA

Hails from United States

Like others, I don't have the time to watch on a regular basis. Would rather purchase from artists and watch when I have the time to paint along or watch with a group. Sometimes the group will share the cost, then share the dvd keeping a library at one studio.
carly
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-22-2013, 02:35 PM
Veteran Member

In the UK we have a society called the SAA or society for all artists, they have a tv channel on our cable/Satellite network and also offer the programs via their website and youtube.
They rotate the programs weekly on each and every Monday, but usually introduce a new video each week.
Here is the Link
http://www.thepaintinganddrawingchan...v-anytime.html

It is generally aimed at beginner/amateur artists and there is a leaning towards watercolour, but some of their videos are definitely worth watching. Two of my favourite UK teaching artists are often shown, Joe Francis Dowden (watercolour) and Hashim Akib (Acrylics) so i look every week to see if they have any of their videos showing.

best of all the videos are FREEEEEE, even to non members