Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor Watercolor Studio February 2018 Watercolor Challenge – Kettlewell Village Store

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 65 total)
  • Author

This is a photo I took at the September 2007 Get Together. This is the village store that features in the film “Calendar Girls”.

Photo in RIL

Here’s the 7×5 sketch I did on site:

And here’s my painting 15 x 11 on a Langton rough pad.

Hope you like this quintessential Village scene.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

Dick

There both fabulous Doug. I don’t know which one I prefer.

Dick Hutchings
        Daniel Smith Essential 6 colors and Arches 140#

Love this quaint little house with the store. Like both versions and will try this one for Feb. Nicely done Doug.

LIL

davidkhoirul

Hi Doug,

Thanks for the February Watercolor Challenge.

This is my preliminary sketch on my phone:

And here is the painting on my sketchbook:

Wow! That was quick David, excellent painting.

Doug

Merriweather

Such a cute store… Thanks for the challenge… I love your sketch and painting. and to David… Wow… quick I reckon !! but really nicely done too.

Cheers

MW

Painting is a complete distraction. I know of nothing which, without exhausting the body, more entirely absorbs the mind. Winston Churchill

Johndk

Hi David. Love the immediacy of your treatment of this subject. How did you execute the road markings?

As long as there is light, I will paint it.

davidkhoirul

Doug, Merri, thank you. Because I did it on sketchbook, which is not so big, I could quickly finish it.

John, I used white gel pen for road markings. At first I wanted to use the paper, but it was accidentally painted.

Lyndylu

How do you do it on your phone?

Lyndylu

There are numerous painting and sketching apps on both android and apple phones.

Doug

davidkhoirul

Hi Lyndy,

Doug is right. There are many painting applications you can download on Play Store for Android or App Store for iOS. I paint on my phone a lot.

I can show you how I do it. Here is the video of my cellphone painting process from 2014. I included notes on this video, too, for each step.

[antv]hAYPusMAIss[/antv]

monarch

I enjoyed this challenge. It’s my attempt at painting/drawing loose. Not really happy with it but it was a good learning experience. I have no idea why I decided to draw the little person in micron pen.:lol:
                                    About 9×5 inches.

C&C welcome and appreciated

I’m glad you enjoyed painting this, every challenge is a learning process.

Kettlewell is in a deep glacial valley and the hills behind the village are quite steep.

Doug

Lyndylu

I’ve tried several painting apps on my phone in the past, but I was not happy with any of them. Painting with a real paintbrush was always tons easier. Thanks for the link, David.

Lyndylu

davidkhoirul

Lyndy, I understand that. It is a bit hard at first to paint on your phone. When I did for the first time in 2013, I also found it very difficult, especially because I used my finger to paint. If your phone has a stylus pen, it will be much easier. You can also get your own cheap stylus if the phone doesn’t come with a pen.

Trust me, once you get used to it, you will paint or sketch every where.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 65 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.