Home Forums Explore Media Acrylics Painting Left Handed?????.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    hokuspokus

[FONT=Arial Black]Hi:wave:

Is there many left handed painter’s on here who have tips on painting left handed?I have just watched one by Darrell Crow,it was a mountain and made it look so easy,now i know were i was going wrong by using a knife doing a mountain,as other tutorials showed them scrapping hard on the canvas while doing mountains

Do you you know of any other tutorials were i would be able to learn more about left handed painting…..maybe that sounds silly asking that lol:lol:
        [/FONT]

If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced. Vincent VanGogh.All C&CWelcome.:eek:[/SIZE]

I am left-handed. I never really thought about it, I just paint as best as I can, like writing. I put my palette and water and brushes on the left. Dragging my hand in the paint isn’t an issue (unlike learning to write in public school where us lefties get ink smudges if we’re not awfully careful :lol:) Unlike scissors and many other hand and power tools, paintbrushes aren’t specifically designed for the right-handed world.

As a matter of interest, I did a painting workshop earlier this year and of the 12 students, I think 4 of us were lefties. I don’t know if that ‘means’ anything or not, but it seemed a somewhat high proportion.

"None are so old as those who have outlived enthusiasm." - Henry David Thoreau

Moderator Acrylics Forum~~~Reference Image Library

hokuspokus

[FONT=Arial Black]That does seem high number for lefties in a class of 12.they do say left handed people are talented[/FONT],[FONT=Arial Black]i wonder were my talent went :Dand for smudging writing my primary school teacher made me write in pencil in the end because apparently my writing was like hieroglyphics…lol i dont think it was that bad if it was i should of been writing on the walls of the pyramids:lol::lol::lol:.

as for painting left handed it will just have to be loads of practice for me then as i do need to improve alot :thumbsup: [/FONT]

graham

If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced. Vincent VanGogh.All C&CWelcome.:eek:[/SIZE]

K@R3N

I’m left-handed, I haven’t thought about it being any different to be honest lol. I have smudged things before now but I tend to work right to left most of the time to save this

[FONT=Century Gothic] Art should comfort the disturbed and disturb the comfortable :eek:
                hokuspokus

[FONT=Arial Black]hi Karen:wave:

Funny i always work from right to left,never even crossed my mind from working left to right,do you paint snowy mountain’s with a knife?
                    Darrell crow made it look very easy and i have learned a little from that in doing mountain’s with a knife etc

Graham
                    [/FONT]

Why should painting for a leftie be any more difficult than painting for rightie?
                    Whereas you have to write from left to right, you don’t have to paint from left to right ….. I mostly do that because I’m right-handed:)
                    Certainly with pastel work (or other ‘smudgy’ mediums) it’s better to work away from the dominant hand so you are not going over work already done ………. with acrylics, it probably doesn’t matter because they dry quickly!:lol:

I’m interested to know how a leftie ‘reads’ a painting though – do you look from left to right, as with a book, or from right to left? :D

Cheers, Maureen

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in the Florals/Botanicals forum , WDE in the All Media Art Events , Different Strokes in Acrylics forum .

hokuspokus

[FONT=Arial Black]Well Maureen, i was wondering why i could never understand when i read the words never made sense thats coz i was reading from right to left[/FONT]:evil::evil::evil: [FONT=Arial Black]rofl:thumbsup:[/FONT]

K@R3N

[FONT=Arial Black]hi Karen:wave:

Funny i always work from right to left,never even crossed my mind from working left to right,do you paint snowy mountain’s with a knife?
                            Darrell crow made it look very easy and i have learned a little from that in doing mountain’s with a knife etc

Graham
                            [/FONT]

:wave: I haven’t tried snowy mountains yet, but knives are great for cliffs and rocks, creatures texture so easily. I learnt what little I know with knives from Bob Ross video’s, I still have lots to learn though lol

[FONT=Century Gothic] Art should comfort the disturbed and disturb the comfortable :eek:
                            hokuspokus

[FONT=Arial Black]Am the same still tons of stuff to learn,but your paintings are of really good quality and you detailing is excellent.i wish my detailing was really good,am trying to think of a few things to put in to my next painting.
                                I painted a lighthouse scene but to me it looks so basic and pathetic looking i wolld need to go back and add something different to it,but i think the paint would not flow properly over the dried paint…..or would it.
                                [/FONT]

no-one-home

Painting right to left is no different than writing right to left. If you’ve written arabic or hebrew, you already know that.

K@R3N

[FONT=Arial Black]Am the same still tons of stuff to learn,but your paintings are of really good quality and you detailing is excellent.i wish my detailing was really good,am trying to think of a few things to put in to my next painting.
                                        I painted a lighthouse scene but to me it looks so basic and pathetic looking i wolld need to go back and add something different to it,but i think the paint would not flow properly over the dried paint…..or would it.
                                        [/FONT]

Thank you :) It’s just practice is all and watching tutorial videos over and over :lol: To learn the wrinkles I watched a “how to draw wrinkles” video and then had to convert the same kind of technique to paint.
                                        I have had the same problem, I’ve done something that seem’s basic (or childlike was my wording)
                                        then ended up putting more detailing in the sky or water to try and bring it to life. Doesn’t always work for me but worth a shot. I’ve painted over dried paint before, can be tricky if the layer before is thick (I’ve found)

hokuspokus

Who mentioned Arabic or Hebrew writing?
                                            If you are referring to one of the message’s i quoted i was reffering to what a teacher said about my writing at primary school….many moons ago that was lol

Do you write from right to left then one more time?

hokuspokus

[FONT=Arial Black]K@r3n,i have drawn out landscapes but when i go to paint it,it end up a real hash,and am not joking a child of 5 could of done better at painting it lol.
                                                There is some of Bob Ross landscapes i would love to try but i know what would happen,and the canvas would end up lying in the garden somewhere :D
                                                [/FONT]

K@R3N

[FONT=Arial Black]K@r3n,i have drawn out landscapes but when i go to paint it,it end up a real hash,and am not joking a child of 5 could of done better at painting it lol.
                                                    There is some of Bob Ross landscapes i would love to try but i know what would happen,and the canvas would end up lying in the garden somewhere :D
                                                    [/FONT]

:lol::lol::lol: yeah a few of mine have been close to being thrown out of the window LOL! It’s always worth trying though, as my mum always said “you don’t know if you don’t try” :thumbsup:

jocko500

I right handed but I had to teach my son who it left handed everything. Throwing a baseball and hitting a baseball. Tiring knots is backward for me if I had to do it left hand. I had to learn everything left hand just to show him how to do it. I sure if you watch the painting shows it will be right handed so you have to do it backwards.

a good way to learn how is throwing a ball with both hands. also batting will teach you to think backwards. Tie a square knot the right way. first use your left hand way then do it right handed. the only thing will be it will look like a backward square knot. It will be ok. squre knot is a squre knot.
                                                        this way you can watch the videos and think things out backway from right hand to left hand
                                                        hope this make cents lol

ideas is like the stars in Heaven, just grab one and hang on and if it do not work out grab another one:)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
                                                      • The topic ‘Painting Left Handed?????.’ is closed to new replies.