Home Forums Explore Media Acrylics "Sealing" an acrylic painting?

• This topic has 17 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 16 years ago by soap.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    platapie1

“Sealing” an acrylic painting?
        Hi there-

Any of you use a “protective coating” to “seal” your acrylic paintings once they are finished?

It’s my opinion that acrylics are somewhat self-sealing as a plastic-based medium, but I had a client a while back almost insist on it (although she was not a painter/artist).

Just curious. Thoughts?

Aimee

www.aimeehoover.com (pet portraits)
        www.aimeehoover.com/fine_art/fa.html (personal work)

The creative act, the defeat of habit by originality, overcomes everything.
        - George Lois

Autumnwillow

OK, I’ll pipe up… ;)

I use gloss varnishes now but not for protection, simply for the aesthetic. They look so pretty with that shiny finish, very luminous and more like oils… plus they make the colors more vibrant.

Michele

"I'm going crazy, wanna come?"

Visit my website www.sommersend.com or my Facebook Fan Page www.facebook.com/sommersend
            Useful links: General New User FAQ , Decorative Arts, Murals and Faux (my home forum) , Intro to Murals

Linee

Because of using a gloss medium for parts of the painting, I end up with some areas glossy and some dull. I use a matte varnish (Liquitex’s, which actually has a soft sheen) to give a nice, uniform finish. It also enhances the colors nicely.

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Linda - C&C always welcome
                Facebook Flickr Etsy

Guide

There is a wonderful article on varnishing on the golden paints site.

Just a quick bit:

True Varnishes vs. Acrylic Gels and Mediums:
                    One final point to make about the use of gels and mediums is that all of these products are NOT recommended as final picture varnishes. Generally speaking, these products do not have proper balance of properties for such application. They are all either too soft, too hard, or they simply foam up too much to be a clear topcoat. They also all lack the property of removability. None of the gels or mediums are removable in a manner that would not harm the underlying paint films, and this is an important consideration for final varnishes. Soft Gel Gloss, thinned 2:1 with water, on the other hand, is recommended as an “isolation coat”. An isolation coat has several functions. Applied after completion of an acrylic painting, it seals the surface, lowers the absorbency of the surface, allows for a more uniform varnish application and serves to protect the acrylic paint during varnish removal. Not applying this coat can cause serious side effects, such as the varnish absorbing into a porous support. For spray application of an isolation coat, a mixture of GAC 500 (2:1) with Airbrush Transparent Extender is well suited.

Click here to go to the information kiosk My You Tube Channel 48hlc48
                    The only person you can't fool, is yourself! (Oz The Great and Powerful)
                    "If you think you can, or think you can't, your right!"
                    "The thing about art is that life is in no danger of being meaningless," Robert Genn

platapie1

I too like when paintings have a slight sheen and agree that varnish can give color a little bit more luminosity. But I am not a fan of the side effect of glare that sometimes comes with the varnish–you have to stand in the right spot to really see the painting.

Does anyone know how a varnish or “isolation coat” effects the painting down the road? Does it lesson the chances of the paint darkening over time?

Is there any harm in using no varnishes at all?

Thanks for your input!

Aimée

- George Lois

Howard gave you a good description from Golden’s site – it’s worth taking note of it! :)

After the isolation coat, if the painting is not framed under glass (and you can get non-glare glass) it should be varnished to protect the paint. You can use gloss or matt or a mixture of the two to make a satin finish.

It’s up to you, but I think most would recommend protecting the work with a varnish or glass. Makes wiping it free from dust much easier and less destructive.

Cheers, Maureen

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in the Florals/Botanicals forum , WDE in the All Media Art Events , Different Strokes in Acrylics forum .

platapie1

Just found some similar info on the Liquitex site too. Brief and straightforward. Thanks everyone…I guess I’ll varnishing in the future.:)

Aimee

- George Lois

I use Golden’s soft gel medium for my isolation coat. :) (actually I do 2 coats) Then I matte varnish. Acrylics also ‘takes in’ dust permanently into it’s porous surface so it’s quite important to varnish. (as I learned from folk in this forum)

Tina.

Abstract coast and geology art: www.tina-m.com | Art/Science gallery: www.grejczikgallery.com

Autumnwillow

Interesting… I was under the apparently mistaken impression that acrylics are a non-porous surface and that a varnish is unnecessary… :confused: I know that oils continue to collect dust and environmental impurities over time, but I didn’t think acrylics did. I have heard so many different things, that now I don’t know what to believe. Really, since acrylics have only been around for about 60 years I don’t think we’ll even find out in our lifetimes what the longevity will be… but I so love working with them! Guess I’ll have to take my chances, and if my paintings don’t last centuries, I’ll be all right with that :lol:

Interesting topic…

Michele

"I'm going crazy, wanna come?"

Visit my website www.sommersend.com or my Facebook Fan Page www.facebook.com/sommersend
                                Useful links: General New User FAQ , Decorative Arts, Murals and Faux (my home forum) , Intro to Murals

I use a matte spray to even things out and to protect. Maybe it depends on the quality of paints you use. I know others say acrylics don’t need protecting, but when I tried to wipe a spot off an older painting that wasn’t sealed with a damp paper towel, some paint colour rubbed off onto the paper towel.

C&C always welcome. Michelle

mkmcreations.com
                                Every painting is a new adventure.

plec

I think acrylics take on dust because when the water evaporates on drying it leaves a micro porous surface, I always varnish, gloss of matt depending on the finish I want, I am now going to try the isolationl ayer mentioned above,
                                    Ken..

JamieWG

………. An isolation coat has several functions………… Not applying this coat can cause serious side effects, such as the varnish absorbing into a porous support..

I’ve had this happen when not applying an isolation coat before varnishing, and the result looked terrible. I highly recommend not skipping the isolation coat step, even if you think it’s not necessary. It could be too late by the time you see you should have done it!

Jamie

Hudson Valley Painter[/url]
                                        Hudson Valley Sketches -- Reviews/Lightfastness Tests/Art Materials
                                        [/url]
                                        One year from now, you'll wish you had started today.

ecobb

[FONT=Calibri]A few of the large paintings I’ve done hang outside and get harsh sunlight, rain, wind and all types of weather. My biggest concern was fading and UV damage and over all protection for the frame and canvas. I have been experimenting with a fifty, fifty mixture of Golden Varnishes (Polymer Varnish with UVLS, Matte finish, and an Acrylic Polyurethane, Low Luster. If I know the canvas is going to be hung out doors when I put the frame together I coat both sides, frame and all, with a good gesso. After the painting is finished I coat my mixture on both sides again and a third over the painting topside. I like the deep look it gives the painting without any reflections. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial Narrow]Eric

I’m surprised no one has posted Golden links yet. I went a bit mad. :) Golden does a lot of research and conservation with with major international galleries. Their newsletter (Just Paint) is worth subscribing too if these things interest you. All the old articles are here: http://www.goldenpaints.com/justpaint/index.php

This one, I just wanted to point out point number 5 in the article (though the rest if very interesting readying too):
                                            http://www.goldenpaints.com/justpaint/jp12article1.php

An article about cleaning acrylic paintings:
                                            http://www.goldenpaints.com/justpaint/jp5article2.php

Intro to varnishing (a must read if you’re deciding how to varnish I think):
                                            http://www.goldenpaints.com/justpaint/jp2article1.php

If you DO decide to varnish, some great information for getting it right:
                                            http://www.goldenpaints.com/technicaldata/varnapp1.php

Okay, that’s my geeking out for the day. Have to varnish today and tomorrow, coincidentally! ;)

Tina.

Abstract coast and geology art: www.tina-m.com | Art/Science gallery: www.grejczikgallery.com

AMuse

I just found this thread, because I was wondering about varnishing my paintings done on paper.

Thank you to everyone who posted here – what a wonderful resource you people are! :)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
                                              • The topic ‘"Sealing" an acrylic painting?’ is closed to new replies.