Home Forums Explore Media Casein, Gouache, and Egg Tempera Sta-Wet palette and gouache- effective?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    tsarasua

Hello WC,
        Long time lurker here, I love this website and really appreciate the information shared on here. I am new to gouache and have heard both sides to storing it- keeping it in tubes and using it fresh and allowing it to dry out and reactivating it with water when you want to use it.

Has anyone use a sta-wet palette with gouache? any mold problems? I just treated myself to a small set of gouache and would love to start using it-

I am not sure if I am posting in the right spot, please feel free to move this if so-
        thank you again!:)
        -T

I only painted with gouache briefly and will be interested to see the answer of others. I have 2 stay wet palettes from painting with acrylics. I found they made the paint too wet. I think you might lose the creamy texture that is so nice about gouache.

Gurney has several blog posts with videos about using gouache.

http://gurneyjourney.blogspot.com/search/label/Gouache

I believe that he keeps them moist for a limited time on a wet paper towel.

I use a wet paper towel in my stay wet palette to paint with caseins. I do not try to keep them active over a long time. They can not be re-wet.

Maybe someone else has had a better experience.

"Painting is a verb"

I think it may be OK for a short time, if you paint regularly. I have lost so much gouache by drying up that I either use freshly squeezed paint or my Caran d’Ache gouache pan set which re-wet very easily.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

Monastic Bat

I tried to use stay wet palette and didn’t like it because I just didn’t want to keep a full palette of paint wet for long periods of time. At the time I was going back and forth between transparent watercolor and gouache. That got to be a pain, so I settled on a china plate for a gouache palette for short periods of time. If I need to keep colors wet for awhile, like over night, I put a wet paper towel on the plate then cover it with cling wrap.
            I think you are going to have to find what ever you are comfortable with by trial and error.
            Good luck and enjoy your Gouache painting.
            Regards,
            Greg

[FONT=Century Gothic]So when is this "Old enough to know better" supposed to kick in??? :lol:

RobD

I use the small Masterson Handy Pallet with gouache and it works reasonably well for me. At least it’s better than anything I have found so far. When painting outdoors it really helps keep the piles and mixing area from drying out to fast. It’s not perfect, but it sure helps. When painting indoors I can keep most the paint usable overnight as long as I keep the sponge damp. You have to balance the moisture in it though, if it’s too wet your piles can turn into liquid. Mold hasn’t been a problem for me, but our climate is quite dry so it may be different for you. At some point the gouache still dries out though, just the nature of this medium I guess.

An easy way to see how it will work is make a homemade one out of a plastic container using baking paper for the palette and folded paper towels for the sponge. I did that for quite a while and it worked fine, but decided to spring for the Masterson because I like the compact size.

Rob
                C&C Always Welcome
                https://www.instagram.com/robd_art/

Millerhill

I use the Masterson’s small Sta-Wet and love it. It keeps the paint moist for at least a few days…enough for me to finish a painting. Quite a luxury to be able to not have to continuously scrub dry clumps of paint to get the color you need. Highly recommended.

Well, I filled my new Painter’s Palette with gouache meaning to use it for plein air as it has two water containers. I opened it two weeks later and found the gouache was still soft, in fact some had run. When packed up the palette is air tight and so keeps the contents moist.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

twasemiller

Ah forgive my poor etiquette and late reply- thank you all! I ended up getting a large rectangular slab of porcelain tile from the local hardware store (Home Depot) it was under $2. I found that before I place gouache on, if I put it in the fridge beforehand, it keeps it cold and gives a longer working time ☺️ I feel like I wasted a lot of gouache in the process of figuring all this out 🙁

chrismc

I use an old plastic chocolate box for my W&N gouache and it stays moist for a couple of weeks.

Millerhill

I’ve used the small sta-wet for qouache and it works very well. I’ve also used it for Casein and although it doesn’t stay for weeks, it works fine for a few days. I just give it a spritz of water before I close it up. I’m now trying it with acrylic gouache (or should we say flat acrylic paint) and I’m finding that it picks up quite a bit of water from the paper and the underlying sponge layer so I’ve been careful to keep it flat between uses or the paints can tend to want to run together. That goes for the casein especially if you add casein medium to get the paint to some creamy consistency.

Lauresa

Hi all,

I have been using the 18 well Mijello Fusion Leakproof palette for gouache.

http://https://www.utrechtart.com/Mijello-Airtite-Palette–Watercolor-Painting–Blue–18-Wells-MP-03095-002-i1023794.utrecht
                                    I leave a couple of folded up moistened paper towels in the center mixing area. I am using Schmincke gouache and so far no problems with mold. I try to keep the palette level and flat when I transport it so the colors don’t migrate. I also mist the colors with water 10 minutes or so before I begin to paint.

The link I provided at Utrecht seems a great price. I think I paid $12 and I thought I was getting a bargain.

Laura

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.