Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor Palette Talk Using Gesso on ceramic

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    boarsrock

We have an “Arts” event in my home town each year. There’s always a theme and participating artists are given wide freedom to do what they want.

The theme this year is “Tray Chic”. Artists are asked to paint trays of any kind in any means. I was given a large, white, fairly ornate serving tray to use. I know I could go with acrylic or oil, but I’d love to do a watercolor on it.

Does anyone know if Gesso adhere to ceramic? Also, how differently does watercolor react to Gesso? All art works are auctioned off and all funds go to support the arts programs in our community. Thanks for any advice

I am not overly certain that Gesso would adhere well to ceramic. Are the tiles the highly polished type or are they matte? If matte then you have a better chance.

Also don’t know anything about wc on gesso.

Carol

Carol
        "Mercifully free of the ravages of intelligence" - Time Bandits[/color]
        Moderator: Acrylic Forum
        My websites: Discoveries With Colour Adventures in Photography[/B]

lyn lynch

No, gesso will not adhere to ceramic.
            Pre-manufactured gesso, which is what I assume you are talking about, is simply a water based paint, might as well use latex house paint.
            Gesso in the true art sense and something you make yourself might have more clinging property, but I dunno and no nothing about it and have no interest in learning.
            Watercolor grays over gesso and it a pain in the @ss as far as I am concerned. Nothing to be gained.

[edit] Kiltz makes a primer which will adhere to ceramic and you can buy it at a home builder store.

Why don’t you go over to ceramic community and ask them; it is their area of expertise.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.