WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Sculpture
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-22-2012, 10:41 PM
Santo Stephano Italy

Hails from Italy
Re: Some of my sculpting works

Here are some smaller pieces.These are mens belt buckles.
Attached Images

#32   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-23-2012, 08:35 AM
WC! Guide
OH USA

Hails from United States

Nice! I made a belt buckle years ago, and cast it in bronze. I like doing small things like that. Thanks for sharing!
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-23-2012, 11:49 AM

Love all the detail work in those belt buckles. The ribbon design on the edge takes a while to do I'm sure and all the scrolls plus the animal anatomy. I bet some western men and women would love to have a custom belt buckle, maybe with their family name on it too.

I know you said that because of a mild stroke, you can't do the detail work of sculpting. I feel a sadness that we are talking about your past history, as if sculpting is over (and it seems to be). I guess I'm too closely associating how that could be me in 30 years, talking of my past. I detest the thought of it! Sculpting until I croak is what I want to do, my whole life, and never have a day where I speak of it in past tense.

Do you feel the same loss? Is it like loosing a part of yourself? I know you said you are painting now instead. Can't you do rough sculpts and work larger or is that not an option or is it not desired anymore?

Just curious since you've been so open so far.

Thanks for sharing all your works of the years, I enjoy seeing them (even with a note of lamentation).

My website My Blog Join me on Facebook
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-01-2012, 05:19 PM
Santo Stephano Italy

Hails from Italy

Tamara
Why and how could I stop sculpting? That was not such a difficult thing to do once my mind was made up to move to Mexico, buy land on a beautiful beach, then build a studio and home there. The project took much longer than I had anticipated, when completed I gathered up some tools and returned to my profession of engraving as a hobby until my vision problems. Which are not that serious for sculpting or painting, only for engraving.
From Sculpting I have enjoyed the learning process one must go through to sculpt lifelike figures in the round, and if you have a good market for the work one can make money. The experience has been of tremendous help in many of my other endeavors, still have some clay that I brought down 12 years ago and occasionally think of doing some small piece. But that is as far as the thought goes for now as I have been exploring colors on canvas.
Thanks for asking
Joseph
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-01-2012, 09:24 PM

Joseph,

Having a house and studio project is like an art project in itself and all consuming. Wow, what a beautiful place you live, so very inspiring from the pics you've shared from your book (recommend people to read it :-).

Glad you are having the joy of painting. This is an avenue I'd love to really learn too one day.

Thanks for explaining and do please continue to share more pics of sculptures and engravings

#36   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-11-2012, 06:19 PM

Been reading your book, "A Gifted Man," and am thoroughly enjoying it! I'm on page 41 now. What a dream you had and all the adventures, wow! Will send you my notes about it when I'm done.

#37   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-18-2012, 07:10 PM
Santo Stephano Italy

Hails from Italy

Thank you so much for your compliments,Here is a rifle that in many way is more sculpture than engraving.
Attached Images

#38   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-19-2012, 12:05 PM

That is so beautiful. The intricate work I admire and like to see closeup. Looks like you had to carve down quite a bit of the metal so as to make the raised relief pattern stand out. Must be difficult to get all the flat areas of metal to be level when carving down in between scrolls etc. These pieces are treasured artworks that I bet people have on display in their homes rather than use which I would assume is fine by you.

#39   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-19-2012, 06:22 PM
WC! Guide
OH USA

Hails from United States

GORGEOUS!! Yeah, it would be nearly criminal to actually fire a rifle like that! Really beautiful work.