Home Forums Explore Subjects Wearable Art Permanant jewelry and permanent art adornment

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    DonnaBee

I can’t figure out how to spell “permanent!”

Anyway, I met a nurse recently who was wearing a permanent bangle bracelet of solid jade. To have it put on, her thumb had to be dislocated, and then set back. Wild!

I saw a few mention on this forum that they have permanent toe rings? How is that done? I would be most interested in this, as the only reason I do not wear toe rings, is because they fall off me too easily, so I gave up on them.

There have been a couple great tattoo threads in the Glass Lobby, and I hope we see them here as well.

What other permanent jewelry and permanent wearable art/adornment is being done these days? Anyone?

Me, I like to change my jewelry a lot. But I know people who just want to leave their’s on and never remove it or change it.

O.
        M.
        G.

Why would anyone do that? How big a pain is it to put a bracelet on?

Lara

OUCH. WHY WHY WHY. I agree with Pam, it isn’t hard to put on a bracelet. I bet it had some other significance. A fell nurse should know better, this nurse would never do that. OUCH. What if she gained a lot of weight or lost a lot of weight. :rolleyes:

Lara

eBay
            www.lutrick.etsy.com

It isn't pollution that's harming the environment. It's the impurities in our air and water that are doing it." George W Bush

Kalibabe

I’d say you’d have to be bonkers to have something broken to put jewellery on!!!

I DID have my ears pierces about 12 times, but in my new job we are only allowed to wear 1 pair of earrings so i wear a pair only… that i change every day.

I ahve 3 rings that i wear all the time, and about 10 other rings that i change depending on mood and clothes…

i ahve loads of bracelets and necklaces….

I also have 2 tattoos…

I want more but, these ones i want to be meaningful, and designed by me, so i am willing to wait to get them right.

I REALLY like jewellery that is a little different and have many pieces from shows that are one-offs, or i buy bog standard jewellery, take it apart and change it a bit.

Cynical - Moi?

DonnaBee

I’ll tell a bit of this nurse’s story, I don’t remember where she said that she had this done, but she said that it was an Asian woman who sold her the bracelet and put it on her wrist for her.

She said that the woman started messaging her hand and wrist and that she didn’t even really know she was ready to do the dislocation, she said all the sudden her thumb was moved over, shifted to the bottom of her hand, real quick and she claims it didn’t hurt. Then the Asian woman quickly put her thumb back in place after slipping on the bracelet! She claimed it didn’t hurt, and was done so quick she barely had time to object or protest! :eek:

It was a smooth polished jade bangle, about 1/2 inch in thickness (maybe a bit less) and she paid $400.00 The bangle would have to be broken to remove it, or have her thumb dislocated again.

I hope this didn’t make anyone too squeamish!

Also, now I think of another aspect of permanent adornment: some of it is painful, and some isn’t. I still want to find out about these permanent toe rings, I will Google it!

jacki

:D squemish yes..but very interesting.

It is a great topic, there are so many forms of permanent adornment. Have you seen that wonderful Ndebele book that shows them putting the ash in the dots on the young girls to form those amazing patterns. It’s incredibly painful….ASH!!! ouch. but they are so beautiful.

Around here I see quite a few people who have stretched their ear lobes to wear large plugs. Asthetically, I like the look of the plugs, especially the tusk or horn shaped ones. but wonder how they will feel about having a 1/2 – 1 inch hole in their ear lobe when they are fifty…..

I have a couple small (tiny) barbell shaped gold earrings that I use for spacers in some of my ear piercings since work allows only one earring per ear. They can be taken out, but only with help and a bit of work. I really prefer them to anything else now.

Alan Cross

Interesting thread but you know I change my mind so often anything like that would not hold my intrest for that long….and I do wonder about how it will look when you are really old…not a pretty pic in my mind….
                            Alan :)

My Web Site[/url]
                            Our wedding photo's

Nolly

Interesting … my gram wore Mexican sterling bangles and never, to my knowledge, took them off; well, my sister wears them now, so I guess ….

It’s really fun to still hear the tinkle of the bangles whenever my sister is around. I love that part of inherited things.

Nolly

Ask me about the mission of the International Society of Glass Beadmakers.

People cannot live gracefully or peacefully, joyfully or justly, without celebration in their lives, without awe. Matthew Fox

Blair

I just found out this forum was up and running today. I’ve been on vacation. Love all the great eye candy!

I just wanted to answer the question about the “permanent” toe rings. I have two that I wear bundled together on the same toe. I got them in New Orleans in October and love them! The only reason I would say they are permanent is that they are solid rings, as opposed to being split. When I bought them the sales person smoothed a lot of lotion on my foot and “sized” the rings by trying various ones until we found the size that would go over the knuckle but not slide right back off. I can still remove them in the future if I want to, I just have to use a lot of lotion again and wiggle them back and forth over the end of the toe, but I haven’t removed them since I got them. I can even wear them under thick socks in tennis shoes and not feel them. They also gave me a card with my size on it so I can order others in the future if I want to.

And I’ve got to admit, I did have a bit of a shudder when I read that the woman had her thumb dislocated to have that bracelet put on. Even if it didn’t hurt… eeeewwwww!!!!

Blair

I think this is a very interesting thread!

I can easily imagine having a piece of jewelry be permanent… and it doesn’t really make me too sqeamish to read about the nurse with the jade bracelet, especially since we now know that it didn’t hurt. For some reason I can think outside of the box on this one… Maybe it’s because I love having (my small) tatoos so much. And if there were a way to make my grandmother’s engagement ring permanently stay on my finger, I’d probably go for it. That way I wouldn’t have to worry about losing it…

Anyway, thanks for bringing this up, Donna! I’d never really thought about it before!

lynne

[FONT=Book Antiqua]Clarity of mind means clarity of passion, too; this is why a great and clear mind loves ardently and sees distinctly what it loves. ~Blaise Pascal

My eBay
                                    DonnaBee

Hey everyone! Glad to see you guys here! :D

Blair, thank you for the permanent toe ring description, I hadn’t got around to googling it yet, and so I am glad to read your response, I really appreciate that. :)

Now I have to decide if I might want some of these toe rings… I don’t think my toes are among my best features, so maybe not. My sister has the cutest toes you’ve ever seen, (but not me, nope.)

kcpoke

Here’s some advice from experience. Don’t fool around with the adjustable, cheap rings. They pinch and irritate the toe and tarnish quickly. Go to a jewelry store and get properly fitted. They will cut down a wedding band to achieve a perfect fit for around $100. It hurts a bit but will slide over the pad and knuckle of your toe using a wiggling motion with a lubricant like Windex or liquid soap. Now here are the warnings. Don’t get it too tight because after you’ve worn it a few days your toe will change to accept it and it will seem to tighten, settle into your skin and become almost permanent. Also, if you and your lover put each other in toe rings, be prepared for a significant elevation of the libido. :evil: Of course, making love to celebrate will only make them more permanent. I’ve been telling my wife for a year that I was going to adorn her left, second toe with a permanent toe ring to celebrate my ownership of her body. I explained that when she became my wife her heart became mine so I permanently placed a diamond ring on her finger to show she was joined to me. She repeatedly rejected that idea until recently when she announced we both would go to the jewelry store to be fitted for permanent toe rings. :confused: I reluctantly agreed. When I put her toe ring on her, I told her it symbolized my ownership of her body and therefore, as my lover, she was mine and forever fitted to me. She says it will not come off because it has tightened and that she intends to wear it forever. She says it is very erotic wearing it knowing her husband has permanently adorned her and when people ask about it she has to say her husband put her in it, despite her reluctance. :clap: When she installed mine she insisted it become a permanent part of my left foot because she owns my body and no other woman may ever have me. I have accepted it and I must confess that in about 10 days it became permanent. I cannot feel it after it tightened and now it is almost impossible to remove. I don’t know how many guys wear toe rings but my wife has made mine permanent so I have no choice. :angel: I hope you find a permanent toe ring you enjoy as much as we have ours.

SuzyQ

Hmmm, dislocation? Not for me, but I can see it as a possibility. I do have a bit of advice for Donna. I use to work in a jewelry store. I can’t tell you how many times someone would try on a ring and then not be able to get it off. We use to first try the lotion but usually the hand would start to swell as the person got nervous and it was manipulated. Not everybody would tell you right away :), I never went the lotion route. I would get a tray of ice cubes out, put them in a bowl with some water and submerse the hand. When the person couldn’t stand the cold anymore I would reach in a slide the ring off. The cold constricts the blood vessels and makes the fingers thinner. I’ll bet it would work great for your toe. Now, how do you carry that bowl of ice water with you…..?

McDuck

Donna, You always come up with the best things! I have a tat of a poison dart from on my right foot. The next will be one on my butt cheek, you know peeking out the bottom of the swim suit, the last on my shoulder, a green tree frog with those loving huge eyes! But first I have to finish losing my weight or I will have a peramanent disfigured poison dart frog on my hiney, oh yeah get out the hiney con…

-Mary

toozygoot

Donna – another great thread! I was thinking I would be seeing people’s tats and I’m sure they’ll come later. The thumb thing didn’t bother me. I love high quality jade but I don’t think I would go that far! I have a gold toe ring that I wear always it has a little heart cut out. I bought it for my DDIL law who is tall, thin and drop dead gorgeous! Except for her fat toes! I guess I never realized how fat they were so she gave it to me and I’ve worn it for years. Real comfy too! If I were my once svelte self, I would love a navel piercing! I think they are so sexy! I also think the scarrification that some tribes do is very artistic and the whole body tats that are tribal symbols. I also really really love the henna decorations that eastern women have done when they get married. It is just so beautiful!

Can’t wait to see more contributions to this thread!

pat

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. Picassso

A great exercise for the heart is to reach down and lift someone up.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 66 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.