WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > Café Guerbois
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2017, 03:13 PM
A WC! Legend
Grafton, NH

Hails from United States
Re: Celebrity Artists... Your Thoughts?

Many are called, few are chosen.

What an artist needs most is someone who believes in their work, has connections to people with deep pockets, and is something of a taste maker-- more or less, somebody other people want to be like, or even want to be. I was fortunate in this respect. Even though she never bought a piece for herself, she was responsible, directly or indirectly, for the sale of quite a few to others. I wouldn't have sold a good third of what I produced without her help. She was something of a minor celebrity herself, in the fashion world.

Just luck of the draw.
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2017, 05:23 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
New Mexico

Hails from United States

It's a lot of work to be successful at anything.Even a movie star who now paints and has people lined up to buy paintings put the work in to get famous.
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2017, 05:24 PM
A WC! Legend
Almost Philadelphia

Hails from United States

Robert DeNiro Sr. was not a celebrity artist. He was an artist who had a celebrity son.
  #64   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2017, 05:31 PM
A WC! Legend
Almost Philadelphia

Hails from United States

I think the annoyance isn't that they paint, but that they get instant recognition whether their paintings deserve it or not, along with sales.

It's the same with children's books. Did Madonna and Jaime Lee Curtis deserve publication when other children book authors have to slog through doing all the junk none of us like to do to get published...and to sell?

I think the internet is helping to make buying original art easier, and if they can afford it, once their appetite is whetted, they buy more.

I've had quite of few of my dog portrait customers tell me later that they liked it so much, they've found other art online by other artists for other occasions for gifts and for newly redecorated spaces. I think that's fantastic. I like being a door that introduced them to the possibilities.

I have been in galleries, to openings, etc. and I STILL feel awkward and out of place. I can only imagine how someone who has never been feels. I was in one yesterday and I didn't like the work, but the gallerist kept engaging me in conversation, I felt like a cornered rat.

If we want more people to spend $$ on art, we have to get it to them in a more comfortable way. If selling in galleries is doing well for you, then of course, keep it up. But if it isn't....why keep doing it that way?
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2017, 06:02 PM
A WC! Legend
Grafton, NH

Hails from United States

Just out of curiosity, what kind of price range is under discussion here? You really have to tailor your work depending on what you charge. You can go high volume, low margin or the other way around, but the audience for each of these niches is generally not the same.
  #66   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2017, 06:43 PM
A WC! Legend
Almost Philadelphia

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by musket
Just out of curiosity, what kind of price range is under discussion here? You really have to tailor your work depending on what you charge. You can go high volume, low margin or the other way around, but the audience for each of these niches is generally not the same.

I think the figure bandied about was $900? Which through a gallery grosses the artist about half that?
  #67   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2017, 07:30 PM
A WC! Legend

In my experience, I should think that most galleries would pay a celebrity to hang their work there rather than take commission.
  #68   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2017, 09:30 PM
A Local Legend
Pretoria

Hails from South Africa

Quote:
Originally Posted by musket
Many are called, few are chosen.

What an artist needs most is someone who believes in their work, has connections to people with deep pockets, and is something of a taste maker-- more or less, somebody other people want to be like, or even want to be. I was fortunate in this respect. Even though she never bought a piece for herself, she was responsible, directly or indirectly, for the sale of quite a few to others. I wouldn't have sold a good third of what I produced without her help. She was something of a minor celebrity herself, in the fashion world.

Just luck of the draw.

Very true, though one does have to roll the dice to stand any chance at all, and the more you roll them the better your chances get. Ans this is one of the annoying things about trying to make it as artist: you have to become very social, whether that is your natural inclination or not.
  #69   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2017, 10:04 PM
A WC! Legend
Grafton, NH

Hails from United States

In my case it was sheer coincidence. My sweetie knew this person long before we met. She was just one of those magic New York people who come along every so often. Everybody knew her, she knew everybody, and she was ferociously loyal to every one of her hundreds of friends.

Nine hundred bucks is a tough price point. Too expensive for most, not expensive enough for those who have the dough to throw around (well-heeled people are inherently suspicious of anything too inexpensive... dopey, but there you have it).

I never had to be sociable and never even met most of my clients. My sweetie, who has all the social graces ready to hand when she needs them despite her hermit-like nature, did the selling. I played the mysterious, reclusive artist, a congenial role for me since that's the way I am anyway. I hated talking about my work. I cringe in the spotlight.

Ninety percent of my work sold in New York. I always had the utmost confidence in its quality. I never had to resort to a gallery. But I'm not kidding myself. I got lucky.
  #70   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2017, 10:06 PM
A WC! Legend
A large urban setting in the Mid-West

Hails from United States

Ovid- People who put extra value into the original physical object are just fetishists who buy into the hype that the art market thrives on: manufactured artificial scarcity. They inflate the price of their wares by pretending there is something special about every item...

Yes... there is something to the "aura" (to use Walter Benjamin's term) of the original work of art as a fetish object... something touched by the hand of the original object. I suspect you would rather own a First Folio of Shakespeare's works or an original hand-written copy of the Gettysburg Address as opposed to a modern printed copy if you could. But the fetish aspect of a work of art and its financial value is not the sole reason for the preference for the real art object over the reproduction.

A work of art... and let's assume we are speaking of a pictorial work of art: a painting, drawing, print, etc... is an object as well as an image. This aspect of a pictorial work of art is as essential to the experience of the real art object as is the image. A painting has a certain scale. The impact of a small jewel-like painting by Vermeer or a huge canvas by Rubens owes much to this scale and the relationship of the work of art to our own physical being. Paintings are made of very specific color harmonies. If we make a Google Image search of any famous painting we will find an incredible range of color harmonies in the available reproductions. How different would Mozart or Bach be if we changed the instrumentation... or the notes? There is so much to a work of art that can only be fully appreciated in person. I would not undervalue the merits of art reproductions. I have hundreds of art books filled with such reproductions. But I have always found the experience of the real art object to be superior... with the exception of work that isn't all that good to start with. I have also repeatedly found that my experience of the real art objects in person often resulted in my rethinking works of art that I already knew well in reproduction... and this is something that I carry with me and which continues to inform my experience of these works in reproduction.
  #71   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2017, 11:50 PM
Enthusiast
Ohio

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by caldwell.brobeck
Signatures on artworks date back to at least the 6th Century BC
Thanks! I learned something. I was just going by memories of museum visits and never noticed a lot of signatures on older paintings.

Quote:
FWIW, I usually just initial my work when it's done, and if the work involves a model, I add their initials as well. It seems fair, because usually their contribution is significant.
What a cool idea. Good for you.

Quote:
As for the rest of this thread, why are people so down on others who don't buy original art?
Not sure if you are referring to my comments, but I wasn't putting down buyers, I was suggesting that marketing of art sucked.

Cheers to you, Chris.
old accustomed ways.
  #72   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-21-2017, 12:07 AM
Enthusiast
Ohio

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinZ
I think the annoyance isn't that they paint, but that they get instant recognition whether their paintings deserve it or not, along with sales.

It's the same with children's books. Did Madonna and Jaime Lee Curtis deserve publication when other children book authors have to slog through doing all the junk none of us like to do to get published...and to sell?

I think the internet is helping to make buying original art easier, and if they can afford it, once their appetite is whetted, they buy more.

I've had quite of few of my dog portrait customers tell me later that they liked it so much, they've found other art online by other artists for other occasions for gifts and for newly redecorated spaces. I think that's fantastic. I like being a door that introduced them to the possibilities.

I have been in galleries, to openings, etc. and I STILL feel awkward and out of place. I can only imagine how someone who has never been feels. I was in one yesterday and I didn't like the work, but the gallerist kept engaging me in conversation, I felt like a cornered rat.

If we want more people to spend $$ on art, we have to get it to them in a more comfortable way. If selling in galleries is doing well for you, then of course, keep it up. But if it isn't....why keep doing it that way?
Good post. Good observations.
old accustomed ways.
  #73   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-21-2017, 12:40 AM
A Local Legend
Pretoria

Hails from South Africa

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinZ

Perhaps not fair, but keep in mind that it does not only work for other celebrities. If you achieve some level of celebrity yourself, for whatever reason, then suddenly every scrap of paper with a scribble by you is also suddenly in demand, and I'm sure you won't complain about it then! :-)

It is what it is: fame feeds on itself, and there is definitely a snowball effect - the more fame you have, the more you accrue.

Are you by any chance an author of childrens' books? Or did that example just occur to you?