WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Drawing and Sketching
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#121   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-16-2017, 12:24 PM
Over your shoulder

Hails from United States
Re: Monthly Drawing Challenge - 8/2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by terriks
Thanks so much for the detailed response, Ken! More than ever, I know I need more than just a #2 pencil because of these glaring shading discrepancies you described, as well as so little blending. I can see this now based on your helpful critique. I have so much to learn, and better tools would be a good place to start! Thanks again.
I think you will find out more about the uses of various pencil grades next month when I am inclined to tackle skin. Well, drawing skin ... any drawing can be done with 1 grade of pencil but that requires a lot of pencil control and is much harder to do than using multiple grades. My method of drawing skin basically needs several grades of pencil to come out "right" but as I said, we'll get into that next time.
  #122   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-16-2017, 02:55 PM
Enthusiast
Maine, USA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparrowHawk7
Yes, dog noses are larger than our mind thinks they are. I hate to tell you, but it's still a little twisted. Maybe this will help ...

I lightened it significantly so you could see the nose better - the problem is with the shape and positioning of the nostrils.

Is it getting closer? I'm going to have to make this my last go at it, at least for now. I've got a people portrait I have to oil paint for someone.

It is impossible to perfectly recreate that which has been perfectly created.
  #123   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-16-2017, 04:04 PM
Over your shoulder

Hails from United States

Much better! Not quite perfect but close enough for rock-n-roll ... as we used to say when I was young(er) ...
  #124   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-16-2017, 05:50 PM
Enthusiast
Maine, USA

Hails from United States

Thanks Ken for the "Much better!" It means a lot to me to hear it from you. After I finish painting the portrait, I'm going to work on this dog again to improve fur texture, give the ears the velvet appearance, create a more solid background, etc.. I'm looking forward to skin.

It is impossible to perfectly recreate that which has been perfectly created.
  #125   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-16-2017, 06:24 PM
Over your shoulder

Hails from United States

Just don't practice skin on the dog ... it won't work.
  #126   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-16-2017, 09:20 PM
Enthusiast
Colorado

Hails from United States

Quote:
Just don't practice skin on the dog ... it won't work.

#127   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-19-2017, 05:48 AM
Immortalized
Runcorn (near Liverpool)

Hails from United Kingdom

It's been a long, long, looooong time since I posted here at WC, or did much drawing for that matter. When I saw that this month was all about eyes, I thought I'd have a go. I like drawing eyes

So here's my attempt so far. I have had problems with the lower lid as I can't make it out properly towards the inner corner, in the ref. Once I add the eyelashes and more tone, hopefully that will help. So far the skin has just been blocked in so I can see where the shadows lie. I think I've knocked the iris slightly out of round and the pupil looks a bit oval to me, but that's an easy fix.
  #128   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-19-2017, 08:09 AM

Hails from South Africa

Trying to draw the horse's eye with charcoal pencil. Struggling with the white hairs and eye lashes. C&C welcome!
Attached Images

#129   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-19-2017, 07:11 PM
Over your shoulder

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janby
It's been a long, long, looooong time since I posted here at WC, or did much drawing for that matter. When I saw that this month was all about eyes, I thought I'd have a go. I like drawing eyes

So here's my attempt so far. I have had problems with the lower lid as I can't make it out properly towards the inner corner, in the ref. Once I add the eyelashes and more tone, hopefully that will help. So far the skin has just been blocked in so I can see where the shadows lie. I think I've knocked the iris slightly out of round and the pupil looks a bit oval to me, but that's an easy fix.
Do I know you? Hmm .. seems I ought to ...

Very nice start so far. Things often sort themselves out as you progress so keep at it.
  #130   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-19-2017, 07:18 PM
Over your shoulder

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsobelW
Trying to draw the horse's eye with charcoal pencil. Struggling with the white hairs and eye lashes. C&C welcome!
Hello Isobel ... you're doing better with the values.

The thing that stands out to me about this is that the hair has been done in sections so it doesn't exactly flow. I can see what you did the hair in a place without moving your hand and then moved somewhere else and did the same thing. Horse skin is more silky and softer. You are improving though ....
  #131   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2017, 05:58 AM
Immortalized
Runcorn (near Liverpool)

Hails from United Kingdom

Quote:
Do I know you? Hmm .. seems I ought to ...

Very nice start so far. Things often sort themselves out as you progress so keep at it.
Hey Stranger (and they don't come much stranger ) I vaguely remember you................

Thanks Ken. As usual the photo isn't good, so it looks so much better irl. I'm hoping to get a bit more done on this today.