WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pen and Ink > Calligraphy
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-24-2012, 06:10 AM

Hails from Italy
Beginner nibs problems

Wanted to start this fascinating art, so i bought a Winston & Newton calligraphy set with 5 nibs and i see now that only one nib has a resevoir attached to the bottom...does this mean that i have to remove it and mount on others to use them?
I tried to use the nibs without reservoir , result is just a big splash of ink on the paper
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-24-2012, 01:53 PM
Toronto

Hails from Canada
Re: Beginner nibs problems

Yes, you need the reservoir under the nib to hold the ink. You can buy these fairly cheaply if you switch nibs frequently. Its recommended that one learns with a broad nib (2mm) so you can see the line variation clearly and the strokes are long enough to show you the letter forms. Once mastered you can easily produce the same script at different sizes.

The lessons pinned at the top of this forum are superb. Pick a hand and have a go at it, it might take some time but you'll be having fun from day one.

Salman

My Blog
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-24-2012, 02:32 PM

Hails from Italy

Thanks a lot salman, i was afraid to break something, but now i see that the change is possible..just wonder why W&N didn't put 5 nibs with a reservoir each in a so nice set...i will try now to have a good flowing stroke (i washed the nibs but the flow is so so), can't wait to start the lessons
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-09-2012, 06:11 AM

Hails from United Kingdom

You can make extra reservoirs using the metal from a drinks can and a pair of scissors - use the reservoir you've got as a template.
I find these reservoirs really good because the metal is soft so they don't have a vice-like grip on the nib (which can cause poor flow of ink). Plus they're free so you don't feel so bad if you accidentally wash one down the sink!
Janet
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-24-2012, 06:54 PM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetSmith
You can make extra reservoirs using the metal from a drinks can and a pair of scissors - use the reservoir you've got as a template.
I find these reservoirs really good because the metal is soft so they don't have a vice-like grip on the nib (which can cause poor flow of ink). Plus they're free so you don't feel so bad if you accidentally wash one down the sink!
Janet

So clever!

Jamie
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-27-2012, 03:12 PM
Boston (Brookline)

Hails from United States

Another consideration is the ink you are using. For a long time I was frustrated by nibs that wouldn't flow at all, or flowed too much. I tried to fix it by changing reservoirs, when in fact, all I needed was the correct ink. In my opinion, if you're learning to use a dip pen, you should probably start with an ink like Higgins Eternal. It's a pretty easy ink to use with lots of different nibs.

If you find your ink globbing down, try a different ink, or put a little bit in a shot glass or other dish and try watering it down bit by bit. These little changes in your ink will really change how a nib works.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-29-2012, 01:34 PM

Hails from United Kingdom

Quite agree. I found it very surprising how much water you can add to a good black ink (such as Higgins) before it goes grey.
I keep a couple of small stones in the bottom of my Higgins ink - helps stir the sediment back in when you give it a shake before using it (and if you can't hear the stones, you knoe the sediment is particularly gloopy!)
Janet