WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Glass Art > Let's Talk > Glass Works Lobby
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

View Poll Results: what kind of torch do you use
hot head 109 24.06%
minor 112 24.72%
mini cc 60 13.25%
bobcat 32 7.06%
lynx 41 9.05%
barracuda 10 2.21%
bethlahem bead burner 9 1.99%
red -max 4 0.88%
national 8M 16 3.53%
phantom 9 1.99%
midrange 9 1.99%
other 42 9.27%
Voters: 453. You may not vote on this poll

Our Sponsors

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-21-2006, 03:06 PM
florida

Hails from United States
Re: What Torch Do you Use?

I bought my torch from Kim Osibin after using it during a class with her. I wish I knew the name of it but all I know is she buys them in Italy when she teaches there....guess I will just keep calling it "Italian torch Antonia" or "other"...
karla.p
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-21-2006, 09:11 PM
Enthusiast
New England

Hails from United States

It's probably similar to the Carlise Lucio torch that's coming out soon. Paula
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-21-2006, 09:41 PM

I'm in charge of torch sales at Bethlehem. When they discontinued the Piranha a couple of weeks ago I was a little unhappy....until they sent me a Betta. I fell soooo in love with that torch....it is so smooth of flame and damn near silent, and really hot. Even at 1 pound of gas and 5 pounds oxygen it's been more than hot enough for boro. So if anybody has any questions about the whys and wherefore's of the Beth's, just ask....I haven't been on this forum for what seems like forever...been on LE daily....but here I am if you need me (or not!)
-Marcie
  #64   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2006, 08:16 PM
Lord of the Arts
Colorado

Hails from United States

It's been a while since I checked in on this thread. Thanks Am and Harold! The baby's doing great. She's already 7 mos. old, and her eyes are still blue. Maybe they will stay. Her hair is light brown/strawberry blonde, what little there is of it.

I was curious about something. Now that the Piranha has been discontinued, will the centerfires of the larger Beth torches (Barracuda on up) be the Betta?

Want to know more about me? Check out my user profile.
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-23-2006, 11:44 AM

What an excellent question. At the moment, the center fires on the larger torches will remain unchanged. The Betta technology is revolutionary, and we are very pleased with the results and comments from the field. It is entirely possible that in the future we could utilize that technology in the larger torches, but for right now we have not done that. Great idea though!

Marcie
  #66   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-04-2006, 04:23 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United States

HH-here

BeadArtist.org
  #67   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2006, 08:38 PM
Immortalized
San Jose, CA

Hails from United States

I've been happy on my minor since 2002. I have to say I love my torch.

Etsy - - - Artfire - - - Blog - - - Twitter
  #68   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-31-2006, 06:22 PM
Jacksonville, (Hurricane Central) FL!

Hails from United States

I've been using Minor since I first began torching in January 2005, But I just graduated to a Bethlehem and I am LOVING it too!

Besides making beads, I make twisties a LOT, and the flame's a little larger and bushier, allowing me to use 90 & 96 coe glass to produce twities in those COE's as well, with ease!
  #69   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-15-2006, 12:04 AM
Lord of the Arts
Elma, WA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by firelady1
I'm in charge of torch sales at Bethlehem. When they discontinued the Piranha a couple of weeks ago I was a little unhappy....until they sent me a Betta. I fell soooo in love with that torch....it is so smooth of flame and damn near silent, and really hot. Even at 1 pound of gas and 5 pounds oxygen it's been more than hot enough for boro. So if anybody has any questions about the whys and wherefore's of the Beth's, just ask....I haven't been on this forum for what seems like forever...been on LE daily....but here I am if you need me (or not!)
-Marcie

I have one. I have a piranha. Just tried a boro bead yesterday. Felt like it was going to be impossible to melt that sucker, but I finally got enough to make a bead. What torch would you suggest if I decide I want to upgrade to do boro?

Thanks!
My Etsy
  #70   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-15-2006, 08:12 AM
Veteran Member
YountsvilleMill, Crawfordsville, IN

Hails from United States

I have a Lynx in storage due to switching to natural gas and Mini CC. I miss the Lynx for small beads and I am not fond of the Mini CC at all. So I keep reading these polls and threads in hopes someone will come up with a good solution that will do for small paper weights, larger beads, and boro.
  #71   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-15-2006, 09:49 AM
Caldwell, Idaho

Hails from United States

Hmmmm. My DH has been doing boro for over 60 years. For clear boro and some of the colors his standby is a National 3A with a special tip. His second torch is a Gtt Phantom. When using the GTT he mainly uses the inner ring which is exactly the same as my Lynx as far as I can see. The difference would be in using more oxy pressure. He usually works at 40 pounds oxy and 10 pounds propane. I can melt boro just fine on my Lynx using two concentrators. The only reason I prefer soft glass over boro for beads is I do not have the patience to wait for the dots to melt in on boro and I don't think the colors are as pretty.
I guess the bottom line here would be, work with higher pressure oxy, see if that helps.......

Laaura

Rebecca Barlow Jordon
  #72   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-16-2006, 04:50 AM
Richmond, VA

Hails from United States

I have three workstations, and I can't say which is my favorite. I use a mini CC for the moretti station, a Beth PM2D for my boro, and a Barracuda for working Bullseye. I adore them all... I've just switched the Barracuda to a concentrator, and it's working wonderfully (I pretty much just use the inner ring).

I do have a Nortel Major in the shop too - it makes a great paperweight (and I don't mean out of glass)...

-- Susan
  #73   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-23-2006, 07:51 PM

Hello everyone,
I am new to wet canvas, I've just joined today, so I am not sure where to post, I Just got a GTT lynx for x-mas, so I see myself using this torch from now to the future. I just would like to know what my new torch has to offer.
I would appreciate all the information,
Thanks,
Rosa.
  #74   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-24-2006, 09:51 AM
Germany-Cologne

Hails from Germany

I use the "IGM 01" from a german Manufacture for glass-benches, called Ilmenauer Glasseiden.
Have a look at the site: Ilmenauer (english)
It´s really easy to adjust and needs about 3.5 liters/min. of oxygen. So it is fine to use with a concentrator.
  #75   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-17-2007, 12:16 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

http://www.sundanceglass.com/major.htm

This is the torch I use. Top one for soft glass and bottom one for Boro. Occationally I use the top one on Boro for detailed work.