WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Plein Air
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer the French easel or the Pochade Box?
French Easel or 1/2 box 131 26.10%
Pochade Box 226 45.02%
Not familiar enough with both 145 28.88%
Voters: 502. You may not vote on this poll

Our Sponsors

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2006, 12:08 PM

Re: French Easel vs. Pochade Box

Agreed, Johnnie. I see your point.
Not sure about others, but I have had some shoulder surgery (did too many stupid things for too long), and need to avoid slinging things over my shoulders. It's not like I need to put my dinner plate on wheels to get it to the table; I just got the heads-up, to stop carrying weight on/over shoulder(s).

Know what you mean though, it does seem sort of odd, unless someone really needs to bootleg around a problem.
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-27-2006, 05:03 PM
Lord of the Arts
canada

Hails from Canada

My current set-up is a nice, but rather cumbersome full french easel. LAtely I've been painting small fast plein airs.. and the hassle of hauling and setting up the large easel up is too much. Has anyone out there ever tried one of those Thumb box easels from Guerilla painter>? I'm thinking it would be perfect for my needs as I usually paint 5x7 or 6x8 plein airs anyway. Also I think it would work well for "car painting" in the winter, being so small. Appreciate any advice/info...

thanks Skips..

NEW^WEB
BLOG
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-30-2006, 02:48 PM
Enthusiast
Palmdale, California, USA

Hails from United States

Sadly, my julian french easel was killed in the line of duty by a Canadian baggage handler two years ago. Now I primarily use my Open Box M and I absolutely love it. I also use my palm box ( handmade by the friend of a friend in England) if I have to go really small. Open Box M also has a new larger version called the "American Easel" for holding larger panels, I believe up to 16x20. Check their website to be sure.

Rich
  #64   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-30-2006, 03:34 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United States

I got a EasyL pochade box, I keep it in a back pack and I carry the tripod with the over the sholder strap. I carried it up to the top of of this 50' ridge. It is an easier climb off to the side of it. My french easel I wouldn't have been able to carry it up there.
I had visions of my easel tumbling down the side, but it also stood very stable on that windy day and held my 14x22 inch canvas firmly.
Attached Images

#65   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-01-2006, 12:22 PM
Surrey, England

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: Jullian Easel sliding drawer

Hi,
I've just had my new Jullian easel arrive. The sliding drawer when pulled out leans downwards as if it's not supported properly due to the width of the groove it travels down.

Is this so with all Jullian easels, is the drawer supposed to have some play in it, and lean to the ground slightly as you pull it out, or is it just a problem with this one. When I see pictures of the Jullian easel the tray always seems so straight at a proper right angle.

I may be being to particular, i'm just interested in making sure it's how it's supposed to be.

Included is a couple of pictures to show you what I mean.

Thanks,

Brad
  #66   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2006, 11:30 AM
Immortalized
"" Lincoln, Ontario""

Hails from Canada

As I said in your other post about this they all pretty much drop a bit.. Real one or not..

Johnnie
  #67   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2007, 12:59 AM
Veteran Member
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

[quote=mcdougal] I am still on the prowl to find a pochade set-up that is light weight enough for the mountain bike, or a short hike on foot, and does not use all of those brass thumb screws and wing-nuts. Currently trying to find someone who has seen this one up close and personal: http://www.artboxandpanel.com/products.htm
quote]

Me too. I also found this site with a similar box: http://www.outsideshore.com/school/art/easel/info.htm It looks so perfect but, I too, haven't heard any reviews about either one.

For carrying everything around I use one of the metal collapsible shopping carts that sell at Safeway for cheap. It takes a beating and with the metal grid pattern of its construction I've been using metal hooks found at Home Depot for hanging stuff I don't want to get dirty on the shopping cart while I'm painting..

I'll admit I probably look dorky but I really would rather drag the loaded up shopping cart around because by the time I carry my chair, my pochade and the tripod plus etc., I am too tired to paint.

To sing, to paint, to laugh, to paint, to dream, to paint to celebrate life
  #68   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2007, 12:40 PM
Veteran Member
usa

Hails from United States

Happy New Year All,

I took my Guerilla Travelbox - 9" x 12" to Charleston, S. C. over the weekend. I loaded up 9" x 12" canvas panels in the travelbox and a drybox for oil painting. I also prepared 9" x 12" Wallis paper panels for pastels. I also used the Guerilla Travelbox for the pastelwork.

http://www.pochade.com/Product.asp?record=1
http://www.artworkessentials.com/pro...Box/Drybox.htm
http://www.jerrysartarama.com/discou...art-supplies/4

This setup made it pleasure to paint past this weekend. I did 5 oils and 3 pastels .

Peg.

Last edited by PCool : 01-03-2007 at 12:47 PM.
  #69   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2007, 11:10 AM
Minnesota

Hails from United States

Peg,
How do you set up the guerilla box for pastels. I see their set-up on the web. Do you remove the inner wood sections to insert the plastic boxes for pastels? Can you carry paper mounted on foam core inside the box? How heavy is your box witht he pastels in it? Did you purchase a heavier tripod? Can the box be situated at eyelevel (I'm 5'4") while painting or is it too unstable? Thanks for your help.
  #70   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2007, 03:59 PM
northern Colorado

Hails from United States

You can carry three pastel trays if you remove the small cross-piece, and still have room for other supplies underneath one of the trays. You can carry four pastel trays if you unscrew the props in the back section that are designed to hold the tray up 1" off the bottom.
The weight, fully loaded with four trays of pastels is 10 pounds, with three, it would be about 9 pounds. (French easels are 10-18 pounds empty).
It would be best to use a heavy-duty tripod. The maximum height would be 54" (it would be slightly less stable with a full load of pastels at that height).
The box comes with all-purpose clips in the lid, big enough to hold a stretched canvas. You could put in two panels, back to back. Panel clips, which hold three panels, are included as an option with each box.
  #71   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2007, 03:28 AM
Veteran Member
usa

Hails from United States

Hi Cheryl,

Here is the lean setup . The Wallis paper is taped to foam core. I use a simple 48 piece prismacolor pastel stick setup. This setup closes right up in the box. The oil paints are still in the box too.

Pictured is the heavy duty bogen tripod. Pictured is the 9 x 12 box. Also, the panel holder is wonderful (the panel bench is situated in the middle for the 9 x 12 and for the 12 x 16 box. However, panel holder is situated at the bottom of the box 6 x 8 box, ugh!

Peg

PS. To the Judson Outfitters...When I bought my Jullian 1/2 box easel, used it did not have a palette. I bought one of those Jullian paintboxes that included a half palette. It would have been nice to have one of those wooden palettes that fold in half and open to a full palette.
Attached Images

Last edited by PCool : 01-05-2007 at 03:44 AM.
  #72   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2007, 11:21 AM
Minnesota

Hails from United States

Peg and Sarah,
Thanks loads for the information. I'm going to weigh my 1/2 french easel and separate pastel case tonight. I see Judson's has a sale this month and if I can swing it, I'll buy the set-up.
  #73   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2007, 11:50 AM
Enthusiast
Quebec, Canada

Hails from Canada

Hi Brad,

little time later... ! If you did not receive any pm about your question... I have the same effect with the drawer of my FEasel, and I kind of like it, since it still is able to keep my palette in place, and I often paint while I sit, so it's a good position for me!

Shadia
  #74   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2007, 01:00 PM
Lord of the Arts
Kansas

Hails from United States

This is an old string! What I'm looking for is not a new easel but rather a folding two-wheeled cart that has really fat pneumatic tires. This would help me haul my stuff on lumpy terrain and especially on sand. I don't want shoulder bags as my left rotary cuff is kinda sensative as it has been made a home to arthritis. I must confess one problem is the 8-track player I have hung under my Open Box M, because of that I have to haul around an automobile battery and cables.
Any ideas? Dave
  #75   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2007, 10:06 PM
Los Angeles

Hails from United States

Pochade box! The French easel is just not very well designed. I use this one and I love it, just pop it open and go, really great in cold weather since you have to limit how long you can stay out: