WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Plein Air
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer the French easel or the Pochade Box?
French Easel or 1/2 box 131 26.10%
Pochade Box 226 45.02%
Not familiar enough with both 145 28.88%
Voters: 502. You may not vote on this poll

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-12-2006, 02:45 PM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States
Re: French Easel vs. Pochade Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnie
Hi all

A couple of times my FE drawer fell out as I picked it up.. ...

Johnnie, on mine, the drawer will fall out if it's not positioned back far enough before the easel is locked shut.

Jamie
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-12-2006, 05:52 PM
A Local Legend
Southern New England

Hails from United States

Jamie thank you so much for the 42 second set up directions I am really hooked on larger PA's and plan on doing many this year. I've been wrestling with what to do for a set up. I hate my FE which was a job lot special, the legs warped and the hardware fell off. That kind of soured me on the FE...but I still think it is probably the best option for larger field work. I'm considering getting The Cheap Joe's American Journey Sketchbox Easel.http://www.cheapjoes.com/art-supply/...full-easel.asp It has some improvements to the Jullian FE. For instance, the legs when folded up attach to the sides of the box with strong magnets instead of clicking into the little metal opening thingy. It looks really well made. I'm going to get one of those cart things that you have to pull the easel around with me. I'll post pics and give a review of the Cheap Joe's easel if I decide to go that route.

#48   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2006, 12:01 PM
Lord of the Arts
Kansas

Hails from United States

I have a 9x12 Gorilla box, a WC version Open Box M with EasyL hinges fitted to it, two Sun-Eden tilting adaptors and I love them all but for different uses. The common thread is of course they all fit onto a tripod and I use the heavy duty Bogen 3001N, cut-down, with a quick-release ball joint head: quite handy. The Sun-Edens are great for travel by air and I've used them in England and Australia as well as at home. I used to carry extra nylon hardware for them but have never needed it. I fit a 12 x 16 WC block on and then clip a Zoltac or a Jones palette at the top end. I use the Gorilla for WN Griffin alkyd oils and the OBM for watercolors on blocks. If I was starting out again I'd get one sun-Eden tilting adaptor, a Bogen quick release device and a used Bogen 3001N, (try e-Bay). No $500 Solteks here... I love the concept but I keep hearing from users that the legs need fixing. No French easels either, I simply never got one in the first place and now can't see a need.
------
I did meet a guy who says he paints huge PA acrylics using a modified shopping-cart as an easel. Something to consider I guess.
Have fun,
Dave
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2006, 05:53 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Sedona, AZ & Campobello Island, Canada

I'm coming in late to this poll, but...

I have a bunch of different types of outdoor painting easels and boxes. To date, I'd have to say that, for oil painting, my Guerrilla 9x12 paintbox works well for me in all situations. I work small outdoors -- 6x8 on up to 9x12 -- and the box holds everything I need. It's light, easy and quick to set up and dang sturdy.
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-17-2006, 04:59 AM
A Local Legend
Near Winchester in Hampshire.

Hails from England

Jeez Dave! You're walking talking trade catalogue mate.

Gorilla,BoxM, Easy L, Sun-Eden, Bogen, Zoltac, Jones, Soltek. What the hell are these things if they are things?

I have a good quality FE, but still find it a struggle to get up (in the nicest possible taste!) Still thinking about getting a pochade and have been thinking for several years now. But will read this thread with greater interest now.
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-17-2006, 10:07 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Sedona, AZ & Campobello Island, Canada

Although I like my French easel, the worst part is the little knurled nuts. After a few days of setting up and breaking down, my fingers get pretty ragged.
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-17-2006, 03:15 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

I didn't vote in the poll because I like both my full Jullian easel and my OpenboxM for different reasons. My openbox is certainly more portable and lightweight and I prefer it for those times when I'm painting far away from my car. My Jullian is bulky and on the heavier side but with my French Companion fold-out palette I have a lot of workspace and it's much easier to attach an umbrella; if I'm not hiking far from the car the Jullian is wonderful. I can actually get my Jullian setup quicker than my openbox - I kind of treat it like I'm wrestling with a large pig, vigorously flipping it upside down and grabbing the legs and throwing it upright again.
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-18-2006, 01:43 PM

Erik, your reference to "wrestling with a large pig", cracked me up...

One of my neighbors who runs cattle on an adjacent ranch, saw me setting up my french box. He said it looked "kinda like calf roping". The visual I conjured up, was the point at which the guy jumps off his horse, and flips the calf over, and ties a front and back leg together. Man. I look that bad? Needless to say, I am having trouble with the weight of the box these days, and am on a quest to find a suitable tripod-mounted pochade set up, as a replacement. On the up side, the guy really liked my plein air painting of the gathering and branding day.

This thread, and the posts about constructing pochade boxes, continue to be an incredible source of helpful opinions and observations. I am really grateful for the resource.
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-18-2006, 01:51 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdougal
The visual I conjured up, was the point at which the guy jumps off his horse, and flips the calf over, and ties a front and back leg together.

That's exactly the image I had in mind. I think painters are too gentle with their French easels. Have you seen any of the French easel tote bags and backpacks available online?

Erik
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-18-2006, 01:57 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerrilla Painter III
We've noticed that there are no replacement palettes for French easels, and we've thought seriously about making them. Probably polypro (I'm glad I don't have to *say* that)
Do people have preferences as to palette color or material, thumbhole or none, or any specific size recommendations?

There actually is a replacement palette available. Dick Blick sells the Artisan Deluxe wood palette: http://www.dickblick.com/zz030/59/

Erik
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-18-2006, 11:48 PM

Erik, you have a good idea, with that french easel bag on rollers. (Plein Air rolling easel bag: http://www.dickblick.com/zz032/65/ ). Efficient, with a few extra pockets.

My neighbors consider me to a reasonably sane person (with a few minor exceptions that can be attributed to the Hadley's Peach Margaritas). I am not sure that would continue to be the case, if I were to roll that easel bag down the dirt road. (visual: cow pies, gopher holes, etc.) I can hear it now; "Good god man, the airport is that-a-way".

I am still on the prowel to find a pochade set-up that is light weight enough for the mountain bike, or a short hike on foot, and does not use all of those brass thumb screws and wing-nuts. Currently trying to find someone who has seen this one up close and personal: http://www.artboxandpanel.com/products.htm

Pochade vs. French Box
At present, I think if my french box thumb screws could be changed out for "quick release" hinges/levers; that might be enough of a convenience to forget about the weight factor. For a while anyway.
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-18-2006, 11:49 PM
northern Colorado

Hails from United States

Thanks, Erik. That's good to know. We had just about decided that we'd have to make too many different sizes (or custom make them, which would be harder).
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2006, 12:06 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdougal
Erik, you have a good idea, with that french easel bag on rollers. (Plein Air rolling easel bag: http://www.dickblick.com/zz032/65/ ). Efficient, with a few extra pockets.

My neighbors consider me to a reasonably sane person (with a few minor exceptions that can be attributed to the Hadley's Peach Margaritas). I am not sure that would continue to be the case, if I were to roll that easel bag down the dirt road. (visual: cow pies, gopher holes, etc.) I can hear it now; "Good god man, the airport is that-a-way".

Your neighbors might be less wary of you if you tote your easel around in one of these: http://www.cheapjoes.com/art-supplie...tists-tote.asp

I once stuffed my Jullian into a large rolling suitcase and took it for a drag around the local park - I felt like an idiot.

I've also seen French easel backpacks around online somewhere.

Erik
  #59   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2006, 08:30 PM

Making French Box More Portable:
I Looked at the totes you posted - yes, that's definitely an improvement over the luggage trolly. That would keep the box together, if I strapped it to a mountain bike. Going to take a look at a few ideas that some others posted, that look like it is a pull-cart, destined for a picnic or the beach.
Erik, the image of someone wondering around the park, pulling a rolling suitcase - cracks me up.

French Box Modifications?
I was going to post the link to the WetCanvas thread/article to that someone wrote, that showed photographs of the modifications they made to their french box. They had some really good ideas. Very sorry that I can't recall who wrote that. Regrettably, I can't even find the darn thread. Maybe it was in Plein air tips...

As I continue to look for a pochade box that suits my needs, I am curious to find other "french box modifications". Like, has anyone found any quick-release knobs/levers, to replace those brass thumb screws and wings? Taking the drawer out, also made it lighter in weight (not sure that is a smart compromise, however).
  #60   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2006, 05:17 AM
Immortalized
"" Lincoln, Ontario""

Hails from Canada

Hi all

I dont understand why anyone would nead a tote bag or anytype bag or trolly for a French Easel..

They come with a Handle AND a Shoulder strap..

So whats the point of a bag.. Your just doubling another handle and another strap.. Dont make sense to me.

Johnnie