WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Plein Air
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer the French easel or the Pochade Box?
French Easel or 1/2 box 131 25.99%
Pochade Box 227 45.04%
Not familiar enough with both 146 28.97%
Voters: 504. You may not vote on this poll

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-21-2006, 07:20 PM
Lord of the Arts
Holland

Hails from Netherlands
Re: French Easel vs. Pochade Box

iam not sure also anymore, i have a french easel and a pochade.
The thing with the pochade is that you can't set anything on it besides
brushes etc. On a french easel there is always space for a cop
of coffee or lunchbox. With the bird flew on its way here and painting
many time on the Riverside's it's feels a little od to put my lunchbox
and coffee can just in the bird droppings,.......

On the other hand the pochade is so extremely light, you could walk for
hours and hours. you also can put youre panel/canvas so high that you barely
can reach it, that's the main thing i like about it. together with that palette idea, ( an other thread) to put it into a box and then in the freezer. it's almost the ideal painting kit.
C&C Always welcome.
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-21-2006, 07:25 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Canada

Jamie, guess what?

When I ordered my French companion, I was sent the Jullian multi-box by mistake. When I contacted them about it, they said to keep it - throw it away. The quality is amazing, but I don't need it and have never used it. The width is the same as the one for my "Plein air" Jullian, but it's a little shorter.

Want it?
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-21-2006, 07:27 PM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

OMG! Sending you a PM.....
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-21-2006, 08:17 PM

Jamie,

If you need another palette for your Julian, just pick up a 2 x 4 piece of 1/4" plywood ( a good, flat piece) from one of the big box home stores and cut out a rectangle of the correct size and varnish it thoroughly with 3 coats of polyurethane on all edges and both sides. Unless you carry the palette while you paint (which is awefully uncomfortable) you will not miss the big hole in the same location and can cut a smaller one near an edge to put your brushes into when you need to lay them down.

I've already done this and you will end up with more room on the palette for paint mixing as the hole will be smaller and in a location that will not waste as much space. The palettes on all French easels are made from warpable plywood nowadays and it is not rocket science to cut your own from the same stuff. If you can find a better, flatter material, go for it.
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-21-2006, 08:43 PM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

Richard, that's a good idea, and you're right---that hole always bothers me in fact! It's looking like Jimmy's box and palette might be a tiny bit big for my easel (so much for the advertised compatability). I'm sure I have something lying around here that I can use to make another, especially if I don't bother with the thumb hole.

Jamie
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-22-2006, 12:11 AM
northern Colorado

Hails from United States

We've noticed that there are no replacement palettes for French easels, and we've thought seriously about making them. Probably polypro (I'm glad I don't have to *say* that)
Do people have preferences as to palette color or material, thumbhole or none, or any specific size recommendations?
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-24-2006, 06:21 PM
Enthusiast
Palmdale, California, USA

Hails from United States

I'm with Erik. I love my Open Box M. Its easy to set up, lightweight, beautifully made, and everything fits well into the backpack that came with it.
Having said that, I also use a small pochade box made by a gentleman in England which holds up to four 6"x8" panels, brushes, paints, and a sliding palette. For planned painting excursions I always use my Open Box M. Because it is a bit pricey I never leave it in my car. However, my pochade box is almost always in the car in case I make unplanned stops to paint.

Rich
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-24-2006, 06:36 PM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerrilla Painter III
We've noticed that there are no replacement palettes for French easels, and we've thought seriously about making them. Probably polypro (I'm glad I don't have to *say* that)
Do people have preferences as to palette color or material, thumbhole or none, or any specific size recommendations?

Sarah, that would be wonderful. There does seem to be a problem with size standardization though, as I've recently discovered. Perhaps that's why no company has taken it on. You'd think that whatever companies are already making the easels and palettes could just make extra palettes to sell separately! Perhaps the retailers don't want to stock all those different palette sizes. It turns out that my easel will in fact take Jim's box and palette; however, his palette alone won't fit into my box. So it is actually the drawer/box size that determines the size of the palette, and not just the easel. This gets complicated.

Jamie
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2006, 04:22 PM
A WC! Legend
Gainesville, Fl USA

Hails from United States

I use the FE for oils and the PB for alla prima in acrylics. I only do large format with oils now so it is the best of both worlds. As soon as my full box FE dies, I'm going to replace it with a good half box, probably Julian.
Love,
Linda
https://lindablondheim.com/classes-art-tutorials/
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2006, 08:00 PM
Lord of the Arts
Kansas City

Hails from United States

I love my FE----my really old one----about 40 years old----with only one level of storage inside and the legs will fold up "inside" the edge of the box. Sets up in about 20 seconds. The newer one, part of a plein-air event best-of-show prize a few years ago, takes forever to set up with the legs-relationship----but is "real purty!!!" :-) Use it for demos. But the old one, with it's duct tape binding around the sides of the box where I've always pulled the legs out "nice and far" for fullest support, and dove-tailing separating-----is my love!

I prefer a large paper easel for plein-air painting----along with a larger canvas. I just can not enjoy doing a small painting. Wish I could!!!!!! Would be nice--but----for me, an 18"x24" feelsl like a large postage stamp----and much larger is the most comfy. Yes----will return to the spot as needed. Can put my large paper palette where the painting goes in the easel for transport and can carry my canvas. Two hands. All I need. I use bungee cords for canvases over 34" high---to hold them in place on the easel. Works for me!

The lovely pochade boxes I've seen seem to have so much in the way of where my hand would be holding the brush.

It's great that it works for so many! I say----whatever works best for each of us is "our personal best!" Donna ;-}

• Visit the Writings page for Studio Tips and other useful Information
I celebrate the beauty around us with Color and Light! Donna Aldridge
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2006, 08:46 PM
A Local Legend
London

Hails from United Kingdom

I've just bought my very first (Daler Rowney Salisbury) French Easel at a knockdown price. I'd very much appreciate the how to put it up in 42 seconds explanation!
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-03-2006, 05:06 AM
A Local Legend
Sierra Mardre

Hails from United States

pb all the way. F the fold out legs on FE.
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-03-2006, 03:27 PM
Lord of the Arts
Kansas City

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine T
I've just bought my very first (Daler Rowney Salisbury) French Easel at a knockdown price. I'd very much appreciate the how to put it up in 42 seconds explanation!
When I got my first FE 40-some years ago, I practiced putting it up and down and up and down in the middle of my living room floor! :-) That really helped when it came to hauling it out into the field and setting to work!

My old FE is easy to put up in 20 seconds because of the way the old legs are constructed. The new FE---argh---but there IS more interior storage space.

So----what you want to do is set aside a little time to just practice. See what works best to do first, then second then third, etc. You really can understand a great flow with a little fussing around.

I turn my "new" FE (4 years old or so---but not 40) turn my new FE upside down to put the legs in place first. The side legs need the thumbscrew undone a good bit to be able to get those legs into position, then tighten the thumbscrews up to secure the legs in the little groove that is probably on the sides of the box. Then the middle leg----OR---you might find it a better flow to do the middle first, then the two sides. Try both. See which works for you best. You are designing a sequence with serves YOU! And is easily repeatable, eventually as an easy habit! :-)

Then turn the box upright onto the legs, make sure they are pulled out as far as they will go---and do any adjusting of leg height to level the box. (I always pull them out full lenghth when the box is still upside down.) Next, open the lid and secure the screws holding it. Then slide the painting holders into place, place your canvas or board, then pull out the drawer----put out your paint, etc. and have at it!

Practice! At home---or in studio. That will be your best friend. Oh----I do carry a small pair of pliers in my paint kit. Sometimes need it for the FE, sometimes for caps of paint.

Enjoy your new easel! Happy painting! Donna ;-}

• Visit the Writings page for Studio Tips and other useful Information
I celebrate the beauty around us with Color and Light! Donna Aldridge
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-12-2006, 01:34 PM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine T

Heeheehee....Okay, Katherine, here's my 42 second method.
  1. Stand the box up on end so that the handle is on the top. Position it so that the part with the easel is facing you, and the legs are facing away from you.
  2. Pull out the back leg from the center of the easel. Unfold and extend it all the way, and lock it into position by tightening the nuts.
  3. Stand the easel up on that leg, supporting the front of the easel with your body/hip.
  4. Pull out a leg from one side. Extend it all the way and tighten. Let that leg support one side while your body continues to support the remaining corner of the triangle.
  5. With the easel leaning against you, pull out the remaining leg, extend, and tighten.
  6. Let the easel rest on the three legs now while you open the top and adjust the easel.

It may initially take a couple of minutes, but with practice, you'll see that it is very fast to do it this way and doesn't disturb the contents of the box. You can fold it up again the exact same way.

Jamie

Last edited by JamieWG : 03-12-2006 at 01:41 PM.
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-12-2006, 03:29 PM
Immortalized
"" Lincoln, Ontario""

Hails from Canada

Hi all

A couple of times my FE drawer fell out as I picked it up..

I wonder what caused this.. Doesnt do it all the time..

Its a real pain. I dont trust it now..

Johnnie