WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Plein Air
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer the French easel or the Pochade Box?
French Easel or 1/2 box 131 25.99%
Pochade Box 227 45.04%
Not familiar enough with both 146 28.97%
Voters: 504. You may not vote on this poll

Our Sponsors

#331   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-05-2015, 10:59 AM

Re: French Easel vs. Pochade Box

Does anyone own a Paintbox by EdgeProGear by any chance? I see it's getting a looooot of attention lately.
  #332   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-07-2015, 09:01 AM
Veteran Member
Rural Central Pennsylvania

Hails from United States

Hugo,

Regarding the EdgePro, I wasn't familiar with it, but just looked at their website. I see that they now sell only their Paintbook, which has two distinguishing features, it seems: an integrated LED option and magnetized mounts for panels. It also has a glass panel, which is obviously more appealing for oil painters.

I see some comments online about the magnetic mounts and costs. You apparently can choose not to use them, but then I am not sure what the advantage to the system is. (The larger Guerrilla boxes accommodate the same size panels, for example.)

And any box or palette system can be rigged to accept an LED clip-on light. Or, in the case of studio work, any floor or desk lamp that is correctly color/temperature balanced can be used alongside, which is what I do. There are many options for this. For plein air, you generally don't want any artificial light.

This is an expensive system, and the fact that they refer to it as aesthetically pleasing when working in a coffee shop (!) makes me wonder....who cares what people think of your setup?

As with any choice, it is what works best for you. I don't have any first hand experience with this, just looking at the website and offering my own opinion. (Just be sure you either get to handle one in person or else have a full return guarantee, in case it isn't what you expected.)

Good luck!

http://www.flicker.farm
C+C always welcome.
  #333   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-22-2016, 05:40 PM

Goodness. I am overwhelmed by options. Trying to decide on what set up to start with. I usually paint in my garage "studio". I would be looking for something affordable, stable (gets windy here), ok to get a little damp, reasonable lightweight, that sets up easily. I often travel and camp in my old Tacoma, so it would be great if it was relatively compact. I do not want to hold a palette and want enough palette to spread out a bit...Sometimes I think I would do well to just paint off my tailgate with my desktop easel, but I can't always get the truck or the viewing angle situated the way I want! I generally paint no larger than 12x16" and use both panel and deep canvasses. Help!
  #334   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-23-2016, 05:44 PM

Smile Re: French Easel vs. Pochade Box

I'm a newbie and I agree with you--so many options! Was looking at the Professional En Plein Air easel. Do any of you have one and what are the pros and cons? Also from the previous posts, several had problems with the legs on the Soltek. I was wondering if the company has made any improvements. So hard to decide!
  #335   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-23-2016, 06:31 PM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by linpete
I'm a newbie and I agree with you--so many options! Was looking at the Professional En Plein Air easel. Do any of you have one and what are the pros and cons? Also from the previous posts, several had problems with the legs on the Soltek. I was wondering if the company has made any improvements. So hard to decide!

I have both the En Plein Air Pro and the Soltek. I like the Plein Air Pro for watercolor and fluid media (like Golden High Flow and Fluid acrylics). I use the Plein Air Pro shelves often with other (lighter weight) setups for painting in oil, and sometimes acrylic. The Soltek is great for large paintings and very stable in wind. However, it's extremely heavy --- nearly the weight of a full french easel. In spite of the slimmer design, it's unlikely you'd want to lug it somewhere. I'd only use these for paintings 12x16" or larger. If you don't plan to go that big when painting outside, a lighter setup such as a Guerrilla Painter 9x12" lap box is ideal, and only weighs two pounds.
  #336   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-06-2017, 09:55 AM

So is no one using the Italian steel easels with some custom box attache to it?
  #337   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-06-2017, 10:59 PM
Immortalized
Heart of Missouri's Outback!

Hails from United States

I have both a home made pochade box and a French easel. I use a Slik tripod to support my box. I used the box exclusively for years, then bought the easel thinking I would like to paint larger on location. My pochade box holds my paints, pallet and 2 canvas wet or dry, plus a little shelf. It holds 8x10" boards. I drilled 2 holes in it and made pins to stick in the holes. I have painted 12x16" boards with that setup. I don't usually hike back country very far, but if I were, the pochade and tripod would be lighter than the French. I like the versatility of the French. I can paint small 5x7s or easily a 16x20, but I don't paint that large on location. I use both, it just depends on where I will be painting.

Jamie WG, I tried to PM you about a replacement pallet. I don't know if I sent you 4 PMs or if none of them went through. They don't show up in my Inbox.

Good thread!
Donald
  #338   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-16-2017, 10:43 PM
Immortalized
Heart of Missouri's Outback!

Hails from United States

I only have experience with my pocade box, but I was thinking about it. One advantage of the French easel over my box is I can adjust the canvas up high enough that I can get my hand below the canvas for certain brush techniques.
Donald
  #339   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-23-2017, 05:02 PM

I use a french easel with a back packer strap set up that I got from Jerry's art o'rama for about $14. Still heavy but it spreads the weight around. I have been out about 15 times with the easel I got from Ebay, new for $45. still holding up.
  #340   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2017, 12:21 AM
Enthusiast
Reedsburg, WI

Hails from United States

I use a french easel (M22 mabef - $75 shipped on ebay), with backpack straps (homemade).
I have used several different pochade box's, but find myself going back to the french easel.
It is not perfect, but it's good enough for me!
  #341   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-01-2017, 08:42 PM

French half box

I have the Jullian french easel half box. I attached backpack straps directly to the box and have hiked with it everywhere on different trails to paint plein air. I'm able to fit all my paints and brushes and media in it and just carry my lunch bag. In my opinion its better to have a smaller amount of essential painting materials for plein air anyway, but sometimes I'll carry a small wooden painting box of extras. I've been using it for the past 20+ to hike and paint and the old easel is still holding out pretty well although its been glued and mended quite a few times, its even traveled by plane to Hawaii, Aix en Provence, Mexico and Budapest! I've tried a few others but they are either too thin to hold my painting materials (Easy L) so I have to carry a whole bunch of extra boxes and bags, too much hassle with attachments and separate tripods, or too boxy to pack and too cramped to paint on (guerrilla thumb box). I have three different sliding drawers for the Jullian, one for watercolor, one for pastel and one for oils and I keep them packed and ready to go so I can just switch them out depending on which medium I want.
  #342   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-07-2017, 07:10 PM
western New York

Hails from United States

I'm using my new Mabef22 now for painting outside. I love it!

Although its heavy, I'm ok with that, as I paint from my truck or car with something that heavy, no heavy hiking.

If I'm hiking or riding in, I'll usually only be working in graphite or cp (dry lightweight media).
  #343   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2017, 09:48 AM
Maryland. U.S.A.

Hails from United States

I started off with using paint box's. Then i went to a french easel. Love them, never looked back.
  #344   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-16-2017, 08:38 AM
Veteran Member

"I have three different sliding drawers for the Jullian, one for watercolor, one for pastel and one for oils and I keep them packed and ready to go so I can just switch them out depending on which medium I want."

Hoy Cow! What a great idea! I have a generic half-box that I love, your idea really solves my biggest problem of switching out supplies btwn oils, watercolors and pastels.

Where does one find add'l drawers?

Thanks for the tip!