WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Plein Air
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer the French easel or the Pochade Box?
French Easel or 1/2 box 131 26.10%
Pochade Box 226 45.02%
Not familiar enough with both 145 28.88%
Voters: 502. You may not vote on this poll

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-26-2005, 09:39 PM
Veteran Member
Sandy hook, Kentucky

Hails from United States
Re: French Easel vs. Pochade Box

I have French Easel, have not had a chance to try out a pochade box.
Looking forward to it.

"You... whose day this is, make it BEAUTIFUL. Get out your rainbow colors, that it may be beautiful."
Nekoosa Indian Poem
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-26-2005, 09:48 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United States

Thanks everyone for all the advice,
and thanks Tom that was exactly the information I was looking for.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-27-2005, 03:54 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieWG
Tracy, I strap my french easel to a luggage rack that I got at Staples which has large wheels. I just wheel it everywhere. It's so easy. Because the wheels are large, it can navigate most of the terrain in the places I paint. I can paint 24x36 on it easily. However, if I'm going to have to climb, I bring the Weber Integra instead.

My box was made by Loretta Louviere. She's not making them anymore. For me, the most critical thing in a pochade box was that it be very compact and lightweight. I only work small on it (up to about 11x14, though I've done 8x16 on it as well).

Jamie

Hi Jamie, when you get a chance could you post a photo of your luggage rack. I know that I've seen it before, quite a while back, with the umbrella attached to it.

Last edited by James or Jimmy Jim : 09-27-2005 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Stupidity
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-29-2005, 06:45 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by James (or Jimmy Jim)
Hi Jamie, when you get a chance could you post a photo of your luggage rack. I know that I've seen it before, quite a while back, with the umbrella attached to it.

Jamie, don't worry about answering this ... I bought one today.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-30-2005, 10:43 AM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United States

Well, I ordered the Versa Pocade Box today! Thanks for the guidance, I can purchase with confidence.
I can not waste a nice though, I am off to the gardens with my french easel to get ahead of the frost.
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-20-2006, 11:10 PM
Grass Valley, CA

Hails from United States

Greetings!
I prefer the Take It Easel www.takeiteasel.com and have just about quit using my pochade box and I never use my french easel. Check out their site, it is a great easel.
Happy Painting, DJ
FYI Rudy doesn't make boxes or easels anymore.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-21-2006, 09:07 AM
New York

Hails from United States

Hi,

There are more possibilities:

the takeit easel for painting large: www.takeiteasel.com

The anderson plein air easel: see it cheapjoes.com

The soltek easel

Very light travel easels

All the people who make French Easels, the original being Julian. There is a half French easel as well as a whole size one, and there is something to put on top of it called the French Maiden, by some.

Then there are two/three types of pochade boxes:

1. Ones with space to hold your paints,etc

2. Ones that just have a palette and panel holder with the paints left in the box with which you carry it.

3. Ones you make yourself (making a box is the first thing they teach you in shop classes in Junior High as well as modified cigar boxes) Many examples on WetCanvas.

For the pochade boxes one must get a tripod with or without a "head" (and this adds $100 or so)

Finally most people want to also have an umbrella (black and/or white) to shade things and that leads to issues of attaching it. However, there are also various grips that are used in film with unbrellas, "flags", etc. all designed to block light. These are found in major photo store but the are mostly made by Manfrotto so you can go to their website and see and endless array of them.

Richard
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-21-2006, 09:07 AM
New York

Hails from United States

Hi,

There are more possibilities:

the takeit easel for painting large: www.takeiteasel.com

The anderson plein air easel: see it cheapjoes.com

The soltek easel

Very light travel easels

All the people who make French Easels, the original being Julian. There is a half French easel as well as a whole size one, and there is something to put on top of it called the French Maiden, by some.

Then there are two/three types of pochade boxes:

1. Ones with space to hold your paints,etc

2. Ones that just have a palette and panel holder with the paints left in the box with which you carry it.

3. Ones you make yourself (making a box is the first thing they teach you in shop classes in Junior High as well as modified cigar boxes) Many examples on WetCanvas.

For the pochade boxes one must get a tripod with or without a "head" (and this adds $100 or so)

Finally most people want to also have an umbrella (black and/or white) to shade things and that leads to issues of attaching it. However, there are also various grips that are used in film with unbrellas, "flags", etc. all designed to block light. These are found in major photo store but the are mostly made by Manfrotto so you can go to their website and see and endless array of them.

Richard
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-21-2006, 09:17 AM

I don't think that people should be thinking about either one or the other but which two or three of them they may want for the various painting situations they may paint in. The poll is too simplistic. All of these painting systems have their pros and cons and are better for some situations than for another and their use depends on the painting priorities of the artist. A French easel would be my choice for greatest stability, convenience and to get the painting higher for best viewing, but I wouldn't want to be carrying it around all day in Paris or the Alaska wilderness.

Think about where you will be painting, under what conditions, and what all of the convenience, weight, ease of setup, and other priorities are and then judge accordingly. Talk to others and find out where and how they use their easels or pochade boxes.
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-21-2006, 11:02 AM
Immortalized
Somewhere under the rainbow!PNW

Hails from United States

I had a french easel a few years ago and the legs broke. They actually split.
I now have a homemade pochade.

My painting partner has a french easel and she told me the other day 'in the time it takes me to set this thing up, you've already finished your first painting."
My pochade box will hold a 20 X 16 piece of stretched canvas and packs into a backpack easy. I actually just use a little canvas carry bag for everything I need and strap the tripod over my shoulder.

Dianne
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-21-2006, 11:05 AM
Immortalized
Somewhere under the rainbow!PNW

Hails from United States

By the way, I just bought a really nice tripod with an easy release at Big Lots for $10.

Dianne
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-21-2006, 11:29 AM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_garden
I had a french easel a few years ago and the legs broke. They actually split.
I now have a homemade pochade.

My painting partner has a french easel and she told me the other day 'in the time it takes me to set this thing up, you've already finished your first painting."
My pochade box will hold a 20 X 16 piece of stretched canvas and packs into a backpack easy. I actually just use a little canvas carry bag for everything I need and strap the tripod over my shoulder.

Dianne

Dianne, I think some folks just don't know how to quickly set up a french easel. I have mine indoors for the winter. For curiosity's sake, I just pulled it out and set a stopwatch to time the setup. It took 42 seconds, including securing a canvas to it and getting out the palette drawer, and there is no need to ever turn the easel upside down to set it up. Sometimes I think I should write a WC article explaining how to do it with minimal time and hassle.

I've had the same Creative Mark brand spin-off of the Jullian for several years now, and I paint a LOT! It is still fully functional, and the only problem I've ever had with it is that I would love to be able to replace the palette, but can't find palettes for french easels anywhere!

This is not to say that I consider it a replacement for a pochade box, because I certainly see the advantage to having one of those as well. I just think that french easels get a bum rap sometimes. It does seem that some are better made than others, and finding one that will stand the test of time is difficult when companies keep changing their suppliers and manufacturers! I don't know if the Creative Mark easel I have is even the same as the ones being currently manufactured.

I have been eyeing that new Anderson easel which is a spin-off on the Soltek. Everybody I know who has a Soltek even for a short time is dealing with constant issues of broken parts---broken legs, broken canvas holder....My French easel holds up better than that. If the Anderson goes up high enough, that may be my next easel when my french finally gives out.

Jamie
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-21-2006, 02:25 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United States

Well, I'm sorry but I'm not going to choose.
I think more is better!

I have a full box french easel which I just love, but I also have a nice Bogen tripod that I have made a watercolor painting board for and I'm in the process of making a pochade box for.

French easels and pochade boxe both have their advantages and I just want them both!

PS. When I get my pochade box done (it's about halfway now) I will post photos. Honey do's are in the way right now
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-21-2006, 05:23 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieWG
the only problem I've ever had with it is that I would love to be able to replace the palette, but can't find palettes for french easels anywhere!

Jamie

Jamie, what size is your palette?

There is the "Jullian multi-box" which includes a palette. It's the same width as the palette than came with my "Plein air" Jullian, but a little shorter.

http://www.jerrysartarama.com/art-su.../0055605000000
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-21-2006, 06:13 PM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by James (or Jimmy Jim)
Jamie, what size is your palette?

There is the "Jullian multi-box" which includes a palette. It's the same width as the palette than came with my "Plein air" Jullian, but a little shorter.

http://www.jerrysartarama.com/art-su.../0055605000000

Jimmy, I intentionally got a french easel that was compatible with the Jullian multi-box, just in case at some point I wanted to be able to switch out boxes. That palette would therefore work and I thought about that; but it sure is a shame to have to buy that whole expensive box just for the palette, and I can't find the palettes alone! It's crazy. You'd think this was a no-brainer, and that somebody out there would make just the palettes available.

Jamie