WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Glass Art > Let's Talk > Glass Works Lobby
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2004, 04:04 PM
Veteran Member
Marysville, MT

Hails from United States
Re: Group Bonding: Tell Me 5 Things about You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaverska
AHA! thanks for the clarification KiKi! I knew it referred to weaving, guess it fits even better being a feminime reference! My grandfather teased me much, but loved me much as well, he said if I had to make pretty things, they should be useful too, like weaving. He then would say "Go! Weave me a net Vaverska so I may catch you a fish!"...thus, my confusion over the specific type of weaver. My Swedish is VERY limited and poor! Mostly I remember the timbre of my grandparents voices, their accents, and some little rhymes and stories from that time.....Like the one that starts...( please forgive the spelling!) " Ride, ride ronka..." or 'ride a little horse..." I'm not certain if this is a common nursery rhyme, or something more peculiar to my family. My apologies for mangling the Swedish language! The Sjobergs and Rydbergs would spin in their graves to hear me try to speak it!

I know the feeling - all of my grandparents were Swedish immigrants. Every time I speak Swedish I have that mental picture of all four of them rolling over in their graves!! I can remember friends not being able to understand my grandparents because of their heavy accents. It always confused me because I didn't know they had accents Guess in retrospect they did.

Mountain Morning Design

Ebay Auctions
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2004, 04:17 PM
Brooklyn, NY & Adamstown,PA

Hails from United States

Ignuss-Fatuus
I'm with SVA (School of Visual Arts) where did you go?
jd
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2004, 04:24 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Indiana

Hails from United States

I didnt get to school in NYC I went to Indiana University in Fort Wayne....:-s wish I could have schooled in NYC though! The lady I worked for was names Jill and she taught at The New School and a few other places around manhattan...I was lucky enough to get to know Eddie Adams, Joyce Tenneson, gosh my mind is so bad! there were others I met that I knew much better and my mind is just mush right now its so embarassing....grumble one of the photographers I really enjoyed meeting lived in the Bowery in an old 6 story bank it was wild but with my bad mind I can remember his wifes nick name L.A. but cant remember his or his daughters which is sad cause his lil daughter was an absolute peach!
  #64   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2004, 04:27 PM
Lord of the Arts
Tilburg, The Netherlands

Hails from Netherlands

Five things about Sarah...

1. Born in Monroeville, PA (just outside Pittsburgh) on March 9, 1974. Yup, I'm 30 years old. My dad was in the Navy, so we moved every 2 - 3 years, so I got used to making new friends real fast. I've lived in Pennsylvania(Pittsburgh, Monroeville and Slippery Rock), Virginia (Norfolk), California, Alaska(2x on Adak), Florida(2x Pensacola and Jacksonville), and Portugal (The Azores). I have 1 sister, and two brothers all younger than me. Mom, Dad, Sis and youngest bro still live in PA, the oldest of my bros is in England right now in the Air Force.

2. I went to college to become a teacher and got addicted to the internet, flunked out. But in the meantime, met my DUTCH husband thanks to the game I was addicted to (called a MUD). Worked at Burger King in the summers and after I flunked out of school, until I moved to Holland in 1995. Married my DH in 1996 and we have 2 girls, Judy (who will be 6 on Oct 24) and Kristel who is 3. I've lived in the Netherlands for nearly 9 years. And been married for 8.5.

3. I draw, play with computer graphics, write html for fun and friends (learned it all on my own), read (learned to love books from my second grade teacher Mr Chaney - Thank you Mr Chaney where ever you are!), I LOVE to read, sci-fi, fantasy, horror... McCaffrey, King, Pratchett, Perry to name a few... Before I found glass I was working on my drawing skills and was exploring Coloured Pencils.

4. I spend my days taking care of the kids, husband and house, and work evenings cleaning offices. Its not the best kind of job, but around here its the best I can do with the kids still too young to stay at home. After I get home, I normally turn on the torch. In the last year and a half, I counted the approximate hours I've put into my glass and it counts up to a parttime job. I owe this all to Linda (swamperfolk) who last april sent me almost everything I needed to get started, all I had to do was find the gas. I love you Linda!

5. What I want to do in the future is stop working outside the home and concentrate on my glass. I want to have my own little garden shed studio, where I can have everything ready to go anytime I want to play, and be able to play whenever I have the urge and need. I want to take classes with some very special people and learn way more about the glass I've fallen in love with. I want to be able to travel to the states to meet all the people who have inspired, influences, encouraged and helped me in the last year and a half. I love them all and hope to be able to repay each and everyone sometime!

Big hugs from Holland,
Sarah
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2004, 04:45 PM
Alberta

Hails from Canada

Way kewl thread!!!!
5 things about Julie
Live in rural Alberta on a farm. Feed currently, 230 head of cattle every morning before I go to work. Also look after the calving in the spring time til DH and DS get home from work and then we all go out and process the newborns.
Have my own home based business called Blind View Window Fashions where I go into people's homes and sell custom made window treatments. Thus I can set my own hours (a must cuz of the cattle).
Age 51 going on 18. Love to party......much to the chegrin of DH
Love to shop. West Edmonton Mall is my FAVORITE place in the whole world!
Can count on one hand the number of holidays I've taken in the last 25 years. Guess it goes with farming........
  #66   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2004, 04:48 PM
A Local Legend
Saint George Island, FL & Stafford Springs, CT

Hails from United States

A wonderful thread - should be a sticky!

Five things:

1. In two years I'll be 60 and feel very lucky to have lived my life. Three super grandchildren - all boys. Husband that let's me be me and has provided me with great oppotunities for travel. My dream since I was about 13 was to go to Spain and I was able to do that.

2. I love to play with words. I love big ideas. I love discussions - one-on-one or a group. But I really don't like the telephone. Never have. Love all kinds of music and love to sing. Especially while driving. SPeed limits are just suggestions, right?!??!!! I've become less competitive over the years. But I love games.

3. Lived in CT until 7 years ago. Now share time between FL and CT. Also spent a few years living in NY working for an airline - not stewardess. Worked at a bank, in the engineering dept. of a specialty insurance company, managed a McDonald's.

4. I've become lazy and have learned to live with it. If I don't finish a project, that's OK. I don't cook. I don't clean. I don't iron. Zoloft has been a true wonder drug for me.

5. I'm not religious 'tho I was brought up Catholic. I'm too curious to deal with any church's dogma. But I do respect other's practicing their faith. I used to find math and science truly fascinating. Archeology too. I wish there was Stephen Hawking out there when I was in my teens.

OK! That's what came from the top of my head just now.

pat

A great exercise for the heart is to reach down and lift someone up.
  #67   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2004, 05:09 PM
Enthusiast
San Antonio, TX

Hails from United States

I have to jump into this one! I love reading about everyone! It's so cool!

1. I'm Mexican and German. . mostly Mexican but MAN did I ever get a German nose!!!

2. I am REALLY into death and dying and proof of life after death - that mostly started a while back when my grandmother passed away. . . revived earlier this year after my father in law's passing - . . currently reading a book on how to communicate with people in our lives who have passed. . . don't know that I'd try it but it is very interesting reading. I'm also VERY religious. Hispanic Catholic although I don't believe in one religion being right. . .to each his own. . . .

3. I own a HUUUUUUGE Yankee Candle Collection and purchase at least one for my collection per week!

4. Once every three months or so I let my daughter play hookey and we have "Girl Day" which consists of going to lunch and then to the mall (specifically, Bath and Body works, Yankee Candle Co., James Avery (a Texas thing. . silver jewelry), the makeup counters (I let her have little to no color lip glosses - she's nine), the book store and Starbucks (I have a frappuccino and she has a Jones Soda!)

5. I love life, my family & everyone around me. Recent experiences have taught me that life is too short to NOT enjoy it although I'm sure there's much more in store for me when I die and I will NOT be disappointed!

#68   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2004, 05:19 PM
Spokane, WA

Hails from United States

What a fun and interesting thread!

1. I live in Spokane with my DH Daniel and my son Garrett. Both Dan and I were born and raised here. We live on 14 acres just outside the city limits that have been in my hubby's family for 4 generations. Deer, pheasants, racoons, quail - we have em all.

2. I work as a database administrator for a company that sells equipment and services to utilities. It's a good job though not long on excitement. I have also worked for Nordstrom as a department manager (jewelry - where I fell in love with glass and stones) and for Egghead as their webmaster when they first launched their online store.

3. It's been a pretty turbulent year. My Mother passed away at the end of January after a 5 year long struggle with Alzheimers. My 80 year old father has just remarried to a dear friend of the family - it's so wonderful to see him happy again after all those long years of misery.

4. I love online gaming and my favorite is Everquest which I try to play at least a few hours each week.

5. I love movies, books (science fiction, mysteries, fantasy, science), and travelling, though I never seem to do enough of it.
  #69   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2004, 05:30 PM
Round Rock, Texas

Hails from United States

1) I believe Love is a non-verbal communication and is the key to a happy life. I may not speak spanish, or Greek, but if I walk up and hug them or shake their hands, that they understand. "LOVE"
2)God has blessed me with a great wife Anne Marie Ricketts (I'll hold the age) and four great children, Chris 21, Amanda 19, Austin 15, and Cameron 12,
3)I was All State and All Americian in high school , and All American my freshman year in college in Track and field.
4) I look forward to the Rolling down the hi-way in our portable glass studio,and visiting all of you an a cross country trip (may be awhile)
5)I believe in (my case at least, WE opt to impress God with how good we are rather than confessing how great he is.

The Future does not equal the past.
  #70   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2004, 05:37 PM
Lord of the Arts
Chicago

Hails from United States

Great thread!

1. I am 54 years old, live in Chicago (last 34 years). I've been with DH (so really is DSO) for 28 years. We have have a big, 102 year old house on the north side of the city. No kids for either of us.

2. I have been a registered nurse for almost 31--yikes!--years and currently work at the University of Illinois Medical Center in the Cardiothoracic ICU. Guess I like fast paced!

3. I love to travel and will go almost anywhere that I can. Paris is my favorite place in the world. I think I've been there 5 or 6 times at least. DH took me there for my 50th, which made turning 50 not nearly so bad.

4. I LOVE sushi and eat it at least once a week. I would have it 3-4 times a week but DH gets burned out. I also love sake! I speak a bit of Japanese and my favorite sushi chef in the world is trying to teach me more. Not an easy job after I have sake.

5. I have nine cats--Velcro, Dancer, Peyton, Nutmeg, Simba, Thumbs, BT, Freckles and Chatterbox. I also take care of several strays right now and feed a few raccoons and possums that come up to the food bowl that's always full outside my door. As I don't live far from downtown Chicago, I consider the raccoons and possums very special friends in my life. They are just too cute.

I have really enjoyed reading this thread and getting to know everyone. Thanks to you all for the 'inside peak' at who you are.

Deb

Last edited by debkauz : 10-20-2004 at 05:40 PM.
  #71   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2004, 05:52 PM
Melbourne, Australia

Hails from Australia

Ok, my turn...

1. I met my husband at High School in 1988 - we have been married now for coming up on 11 years. No Kids, but 2 dogs who we treat like children!

2. I am a High School teacher in Art, Photography, Drama and Computer Art.

3. I perform in amateur musical theatre and LOVE it and love to sing - I was classically trained.

4. I am a member of the SCA (medieval recreation group) and make 'period' beads for that organisation - my main market for selling so far

5. I have been lampworking for almost 2 years, but i still feel like a newbie - I dont get enough time at the torch but I love it and am slowly getting better all the time.

Suzanne
  #72   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2004, 05:54 PM
Creswell, Willamette Valley, Oregon

Hails from United States

My turn to jump in......

1. I was born in Pasadena, CA on New Years Eve, and am 51. My mother held it against me for years because the maternity ward was on the wrong side of the hospital from the Rose Parade, and they wouldn't let her get up to watch it. I spent most of my misguided youth in a small town in Idaho. And have since gone back to California and then packed off to Oregon, where we have been for almost 20 years now.

2. I am married to the sweetest guy (most of the time) who shares my interest in glass, although he does fusing rather than lampwork. He is also the jewelry maker, putting my beads into his finished work.

3. No children, but do have 6 cats, 2 dogs, 2 horses, and 2 peacocks. I love my animules, and they are my children.

4. I have worked within the Judicial System here and in Idaho for a total of 26 years. I am a judicial assistant to a great judge here in Eugene, Oregon. It is a much less expensive way of getting to enjoy the law without having to go through allllllll that schooling.

5. I have always done arts or crafts, having dabbled in oil paints, needlework, love crochet, PMC silver, and beads. Lampworking is the most I have enjoyed, and will stay with it.

That would be me in a nutshell. Boring as all get out, but I like my nice little life.
  #73   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2004, 06:06 PM
Immortalized
Southern California

Hails from United States

OMG I am still giggling over the 8 inches... REALLY???

1. I am married with 4 kids (2 & 2). I have been married to DH #3 since after my 3rd was born.
My second child still thinks DH#3 is her bio Dad since boyfriend disappeared/ran off. So I have 4 kids with 3 Dads but one kid thinks last DH is her Dad. Not sure when to tell her (25 sounds good! ). Clear as MUD? Hmm... Long story and the book will be out in the Spring.

I met DH in Aruba at a convention for my business. He lived in Kentucky and moved to Ca.

2. I am self Employed with my own business. All I wanna do is run away and make beads! My business is car/truck rental and I am in the middle of developing a property for storage. I have lots of NEW gray hair and disdain for red tape and a fear of City Hall.

3. I love Mexican, Chinese and Sushi. I don't care for American food too much. I love Chili's!
Sushi gets me into trouble since my favorite Sushi bar is more BAR than sushi and the owner is a buddy of HD.
Oh I should say DH is from Texas and loves to cook BBQ. He is a good cook we had chicken tortilla soup this week and chicken enchilada's plus wokked garlic chicker. PARTY at my house!! I make the vegtables!

4. I have 5 holes for earrings. I would have had my belly button pierced if I was 20 years younger but never my nose. lol
I love books, Anne Rice Novels, plus unusual off the wall books like David Austin rose's my backyard is full of his roses. Christopher Radko ornaments make me smile! I love the internet and all the free information!
I love WC!

5. I love glass and have been making beads for over 4 years part time. This year, I started taking some glass classes. Next I want to take a class with Lauri Copeland, then Remschneider, then Fowler etc...
Recently have been taking Connie Fox wireworking classes to put my focals into bracelets! I am now trying PMC clay also.

Heidi
P.S. My name is not JAMN! those are my kids initials and business name!

Last edited by Jamn! : 10-20-2004 at 06:09 PM.
  #74   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2004, 06:10 PM
Veteran Member
FL

Hails from United States

I'll toss in 5 things about me...

1. I'm a natural redhead, born July 24, 1975--which makes me a Leo. Leo and redheaded stereotypes pretty much apply to me. I have 6 piercings, 3 holes in each ear. No tattoos, although I have considered it...(more on that in #5) DHTB is 3 years younger than me , and is a Scorpio. We get along very well, but there is the very occasional clash that always results from two different personalities. He is the chef, and I am the baker. Together we have two large dogs, and two parakeets.

2. DHTB and I have been together 3.5 years, and we have bought a house (first for both of us) in Tucson AZ. He just got his first new car, a VW Jetta TDI (and is loving every minute of it!)

3. I have been constantly "online" since 1993. I MUDed for awhile, but have been on IRC since '93. (IRC = Internet Relay Chat. It's real time chat, and I have hung out with the same group of people all this time.) Most of my net friends are geeks, and I consider myself quite geeky as well.

4. I grew up in Florida, and have also lived in Tennessee (Crossville) and Kansas (Kincaid). After age 17, I lived in Georgia (Athens), Massachusetts (Leominster--but went to school in Waltham and Worcester), Washington (Seattle), and finally Arizona (Phoenix and now Tucson). I was adopted at birth and raised by a woman with a son who was already grown and out on his own. So, while I had a brother--I was really raised an only child. We moved around a lot, I found out later, because she was avoiding my biological mother--who had been promised visitation.) I found my biological mom(and other family) just two years ago. They are great people, and I hope to be living near them within the next 5 years--so I can get to know them better. I have a bioligical half-brother, and we act like we grew up together. It's great! I have not been able to locate my biological father. The woman who raised me, was not the nicest person in the world (putting it mildly)--and I have been estranged from her (and her family) since 1992. I hope to move back to Florida to be near my birth mom and family, but in doing so I run the extremely high risk of running into my adopted mother who is extremely paranoid and schizophrenic and happens to live about 30 minutes from my real mom! (Something I'd rather avoid.) There is a lot more to this story, but.....

5. Lastly, I was in a house fire when I was 4 and have 3rd+ degree burn scars on 45% of my body. (Entire back, arms and from the neck up.) Strangely enough, fire does not scare me in the least and I love lampworking and once co-owned a furnace shop. I believe this is because I was asleep, and don't really remember very much of what happened. My birth mother found out about the fire from the news (she lived in same town as adopted mother), and ran to the hospital where she was only able to see me via a window. After that, information was withheld from her--so she had no idea if I lived or not until I found her two years ago. (For two weeks even the doctors weren't sure I would live.) I think I'm pretty well adjusted, and have often been told I have an excellent outlook on life. I pretty much am of the feeling that life will move on--with or without us, and I'd rather move with it and learn more. (Now, about that tattoo--- I have often wondered if it was possibly to turn the giant scar that covers my back into a "scene" of some sort, but I don't think scar tissue can be tattooed. Plus, I'm sure the cost of such a large tattoo would be prohibitive...)

*squishies*

-M
My Beadartists.org Gallery[/b]
  #75   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2004, 06:14 PM
Enthusiast
St Louis

Hails from United States

Wheeee this is a good idea!

1. My name is Libby Leuchtman and I am 46 years old with a wonderful husband Rick, my son Daniel who is 16, and my crazy daughter Allie 13. My knuckle head dog Auggie (who likes to eat underwear) and sweet kitty Malcom.

2. I own a bead store in St. Louis. www.sorellabeads.com. I have had it for 3 years. The store also has an 8 torch studio where I teach lampworking and have guest artist come and teach.

3. I love to read and garden....if I had more time.

4. Nothing is better to me than a scary movie and a pile of beads to string.

5. I have learned to never count on anything. Everything changes and nothing is a sure thing. Hard lesson to learn but a good one.

Kisses
The Libster aka Libby