WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Glass Art > Let's Talk > Glass Works Lobby
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2004, 03:28 PM
A WC! Legend
Bucks County, PA

Hails from United States
Re: Group Bonding: Tell Me 5 Things about You!

great idea Lunesse, and a wonderful way to get to know each other a bit better! Val
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2004, 03:29 PM
Enthusiast
Frisco, TX

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaGirlBT

I'm dying to get my nose pierced but too chicken to go through with it. Does someone want to come with me?

Oh Ellen - me too - I wish we lived closer together!!

Becky
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2004, 03:31 PM
Enthusiast
Kansas

Hails from United States

I will try this.

1. Live in Manhattan Kansas since 1982. Before that all over the place. From the west coast to the east and then Germany and Berlin. Before the wall was down. Yup DH was in the military. Raised two kids during this time. Now to old to remember there ages. Have seven grandkids. Ages from eleven to six months. I have been a school bus driver for USD 383 for seventeen years.That is fun when the kids are fun.

2. Taught my self about the computer. Ha! It still knows more than I do.
3.I show dogs and love it. Have for twenty years here.
4. I'm an artist and love to paint, make jewelry and make glass beads among other things. Love to experiment with other mediums.
5.Enjoy meeting people and talking with them. My sister is my best friend along with another dog person living a long way from here. DH tollerates the dogs but allows them inside the house. He is a hard worker and tollerates what I do.
That is about it. On going life that is allways learning every day. Opps Been married for 39 years. That should be it.

Failure is not an option.
Success is bliss!
www.noahsbark.biz
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2004, 03:32 PM
Enthusiast
Cannington, Ontario Canada

Hails from Canada

Ok so this seems like a good way to get to know people - we know your beads better !

1. Born in the "Beaches" of Toronto - I am really old (49) and every once in a while that 1/2 century things comes flying through my brain and I cant believe it. I wish I had found lampworking, fusing, beading and all the other crafts I started about a year ago much much sooner. Moved all over Toronto areas but finally resided in Cannington Ontario on a 5 acre Hobby Farm with my daughter and all sorts of animals including horses, dogs, cats, goats, chickens, turkeys, pot belly pigs, sheep you name it we adopted it.

2. Both my parents are gone and missed terribly as I was very close to both my mom and dad. I know if they were around today or if I had started glass way back when, both would have been totally involved with me and the glass and would have loved it.

3. I have a daughter 23 and a granddaughter 3 - totally dedicated to them- she is revamping the 125 year old farm house (has gutted the kitchen/livingroom/masterbedroom/grandaughters room and refinished) and she just tore down are old shed and is making all the arrangements for my new shed (my studio 20 x 25) to be built on the old shed site. She is so handy !

4. I work full time from 7 to 5 daily M-F as a Controller who controls nothing and everything- live by myself with my two cats and always something to do. In the summer weekends are down to the shore and winter is home in Sellersville PA. Moved to U.S. 7 years ago on working visa's and havnt left yet (operative word here is yet!) I keep wishing for retirment and to work glass full time.

5. No tatoos, no piercings (my daughter has them all- more than enough for both of us) I am just so in love with glass that if I met Mr. Right, right now I may only notice him if he's made of pyrex (get your mind out of the gutter Mr Smiley and Tattooed Freek! - thats not what I meant) LOL

http://www.deborahread.com

Canada ! Home Sweet Home!

"We can do no great things ------only small things with great love." -Mother Teresa
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2004, 03:33 PM
Veteran Member
Gothenburg, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaverska
1). My name is CARRIE, not VAVERSKA.... guess I should stuff that into my sig. line, huh? Vaverska has been the name of my Art Studio for years. I have sold my art most of my life, though glass is a new venue for me. Vaverska is a reference to my Swedish grandfather who always joked that the only art you could make a living at was "vaverska' ( weaving fishing nets)...well, it does lose some humor in translation!

Actually Carrie, "Väverska" means female weaver, as in a woman weaving any kind of cloth. I have never heard it in reference to fishing nets, I always though they were knotted. It might be from one of the obscure coastal dialects though...

5 things about me...

1. 36 y/o and still live in the city where I was born, on the Swedish wet (oops! Freudian slip!), I mean west coast. All the bad things you have heard about British weather could have been said about the mild coastal climate we have here.

2. Next Wednesday is my third wedding anniversary! Well, not only mine... DH Mikael has some part in it too. And it's my DH's birthday. Can you think of a better way to make sure your husband doesn't forget the anniversary?
I've been married once before and have a wonderful son from that marriage.

3. I have only had my drivers lecense for 3 years. I realised that I had to get one when my employer put me as a consultant at Volvo Cars. I didn't need one before as I both worked and lived in the centre of the city and it's really easy to get around here on foot or by bike or bus.

4. I love to play Sims. I got the new Sims2 the same day as it was launched but curiously enough I don't seem to have much time to play as I used to BG (before glass).

5. I love reading fantasy books. Eddings, McCaffrey, Zimmer Bradley and Pratchett are my favourite authors.

My Ebay

I thought I could see the light at the end of the tunnel but it was just a ******* with a torch coming to give me more work - David Brent
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2004, 03:38 PM
Yakima, WA

Hails from United States

GREAT thread.

1. My former co-worker and I just marked our third anniversary of running a mobile soup kitchen on Sundays. It has been rewarding, heartbreaking and a great learning experience. (Please if someone asks for spare change, look them in the eye when you say no. Carry fast food coupons if you wish to respond with food instead of cash. )

2. I started beadmaking after attempting many hobbies that were a replacement for pottery. Beading, polymer clay and knitting went by the wayside, and wood carving, kite-making and metalsmithing never even got started.

3. I'm a Christian, married for 21 years to a wonderful man, have a daughter (senior, interested in engineering) and a son (freshman, FUNNY kid, interested in mooching off rich friends). We have two rescue dogs, and I keep koi. I kill them occasionally, too. =(

4. I'm taking a class from Michael Barley in a week and a few days! Can't wait!

5. I'm recently had a social-anxiety healing of sorts. Social anxiety was the main reason I did NOT attend the gathering in Portland, but now I think I would LOVE to meet all of you in person. I hope it lasts ... it is kinda cool.

I take nothing for granted. I now have only good days or great days. ~Lance Armstrong
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2004, 03:40 PM
Charlotte, NC

Hails from United States

1. I am single, never married, and no kids. I will be 46 soon.

2. I moved to Charlotte, NC from Breckenridge,CO in 1999 to pursue a job in motorsports/NASCAR. I got side track with a real job doing mortgages for the first 3 years here. I now have 1 class to finish up in the spring on another degree in Motorsports Management. Now I don't want to quit my day job making beads, so my hopes are to work as a NASCAR official so I can travel 2-3 days a week.

3. My beloved cat of 19 1/2 years died in July, and 10 days later a kitten show up on my front porch. I would like to get a puppy sometime, but need to figure out my future first.

4. I have a Mickey Mouse tatoo on my ankle, and two holes in each ear.

5. I like being outdoors, but I agree with mtmorn. I don't like heat and humidty. Give me snow and 25 degree w/ 15% humidty any day. My hobby is racing. I volunteered my time as the team manager for a SWTour racing team in Colorado. The car number was 78 and the sponsor was NitroTech. So that is where I got the name NitroGal78. Now my real love is working with glass.

Great thread.

Thanks, Lisa

Last edited by NitroGal78 : 10-20-2004 at 03:47 PM.
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2004, 03:45 PM
Veteran Member
Kansas..."We do not see things as they are...we see them as WE are..."-Anais Nin

Hails from United States

AHA! thanks for the clarification KiKi! I knew it referred to weaving, guess it fits even better being a feminime reference! My grandfather teased me much, but loved me much as well, he said if I had to make pretty things, they should be useful too, like weaving. He then would say "Go! Weave me a net Vaverska so I may catch you a fish!"...thus, my confusion over the specific type of weaver. My Swedish is VERY limited and poor! Mostly I remember the timbre of my grandparents voices, their accents, and some little rhymes and stories from that time.....Like the one that starts...( please forgive the spelling!) " Ride, ride ronka..." or 'ride a little horse..." I'm not certain if this is a common nursery rhyme, or something more peculiar to my family. My apologies for mangling the Swedish language! The Sjobergs and Rydbergs would spin in their graves to hear me try to speak it!

My EBAY Sales
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2004, 03:45 PM
Colorado

Hails from United States

OK. I'm fairly new here, but I'll jump in.

1. Am a Colorado Native but got smart about 15 years ago and moved north of Denver.

2. Was married for 20 years and had 5 kids ages 9-19 when my DH suddenly and unexpectedly passed away!

3. Remarried now and just waiting for the kids to be grown and gone (they are now 14-24.

4. Fell in love with making beads a couple years ago and no longer have time to clean my house

5. Looking forward to getting to know you all! Thanks!
Patti G.
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2004, 03:47 PM
Inman, SC

Hails from United States

This is so fun!

1. I am 25, have lived with my boyfriend in SC for 5 years in March. He's a (mostly) doll and I couldn't live without him.

2. Went to 18 different schools, a few of them more than once. Wasn't an army brat, my family used to work construction and we moved a lot for new jobs. It was great to have that experience and I have some childhood friends from all over.

3. I LOVE to drive! We have a BMW M3 and I am obsessed with her. Her name is Bella and she will be one year old in November. She's so bleeding fast and handles like nobody's business. And she talks back. Thinking of buying her some special gas and an oil change for her birthday. We go to Indy for the Grand Prix every year and meet up with friends from all over the world. Spend the entire week getting drunk, going to parties, meeting new people to add to the group and arguing about the drivers.

4. I had a baby when I was 19 and gave it up for adoption. No big secret to anyone who knows me, but I always feel weird when people don't know. Like I robbed a bank and can't tell anyone! LOL Still see him when I go home to Louisiana and he couldn't be cooler. I picked his mother through a lawyer I found in the yellow pages. That still cracks me up!

5. I am a ham. Love taking pictures, love being the life of the party, but also like to listen to other people. I try to get everyone's life story out of them within 2 days of knowing them. Usually don't have to do much or even ask many questions. Am feircely (sp?) loyal to my friends and family.

Rebekah

Never lift more than you can eat... Miss Piggy
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2004, 03:50 PM
Enthusiast
Michigan

Hails from United States

What an interesting and diverse, group we are! That's way cool.
Kelly
Click Here to Visit RedHotBeads
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2004, 03:54 PM
Harvest, Alabama (Roll Tide!)

Hails from United States

This is a fun thread.

1) I live in the same town I was born in but have a strong desire to move to Colorado at some point in my life because I am crazy for the mountains and snowboarding.
2) I am married to my best friend and his name is Paul. We've been married for 5.5 years but we've been together for 10.
3) I have one tat that my husband and I designed on my lower back. I've never regretted the tat.
4) I am not a mother but I am an aunt.
5) I am a Christian although probably not a very good one sometimes.

Thanks for the thread!
Rachel
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2004, 03:59 PM
Lyman, Nebraska

Hails from United States

Hmmm, fun!

1. I'm 42, married to DH for 11 years (second marrige for me, first for him), one daughter, five. That's Punkin for all of you who thought she was a pet, lol! Her real name is Connie.

2. Born and raised in Alaska, near Seldovia. Grew up on a fishing boat, subsistance lifestyle--grew and hunted most of what we ate. I really appreciate electricity, let me tell you!

3. Worked in auto parts when I had a "real job". Sold crash parts mostly....got burned out after I had Punkin, lost my parents, and met my longterm goal of selling a million dollars in one year.

4. I'm a Christian, though I guess you could tell that from my sig line....

5. I'm a pilot, but haven't flown since we left Alaska.

Carolyn
Jer. 29:11
  #59   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2004, 04:03 PM
Michigan

Hails from United States

wow, this is really cool and interesting!

1. I am 45, been a nurse for 24 years, been married 24 years to the only man for me who is a doll. I have two daughters, one 20, one 18. Two grand sons that are to die for and who I babysit every day. I work full time but just weekends. (and when I have a minute mostly late at night I torch my heart out).

2. My belly button is pierced, I used to have my nose pierced, but it fell out and I never replaced it.(and by the way the nose piercing didn't hurt)

3. I modeled once for Green's Dept. Store. and had long hair until I was 38, and I'm never going back to that>>too much work.

4. I took care of both of my parents when they were sick(not one of my other 3 siblings would help) I am the youngest. This was one of the hardest periods in my lift, but came out the otherside with a broken heart(when I lost them eventually) but stronger as a person, and wishing to God I could still have them every day with me. Love people and other glass artists and their creative minds.

5. Love animals(except for snakes)am a devoted wife, mom, grandmother, artist and glass bead maker, and never want to grow old and will die trying to find the secret to youth.(hee hee) In other words, I am never going to wear polyester!!

**By the way did you say there was another cream out there that dissolves wrinkles??
  #60   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2004, 04:03 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Indiana

Hails from United States

Hey John! Which school? I was working in NYC a few years ago for a "prominent photographer" I met lots of photographers when I was there...and maybe in passing I met you as well! lol I was working as a nanny at the time but also have a degree in photography! Im only 28 though
Quote:
Originally Posted by painintheglass
My real name is John, I'm 46 and an Aries

I'm a college administrator for an Art School in NYC. I have my degree in Photography from the school I work for. I've been running their Photo facilities for 22 years. ( PS, I'm burned out and looking for a change. Hopefully this will be it!)