WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Plein Air
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-25-2017, 02:01 AM
Veteran Member

I inevitably get paint on my hands when painting plein air, and when I reach for my water bottle, I hate having to unscrew the top because I worry about contaminating my beverage with paint. So I'm interested in a bottle that lets me drink without unscrewing anything.

I could buy the Deer Park bottled water; those let you suck water directly from the bottle. But the environmentalist in me would prefer a reusable bottle. Is there one that's not prone to mold growth?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-25-2017, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member

Re: Hands-free, reusable water bottle (for drinking)?

I take a ceramic filter bottle with a silicone tube coming out of the top when I am outdoors. You only need to touch the sides to drink. The lid can be closed without touching the tube or you can just leave it open. I fill it with tap water when heading out but the option to fill with river or lake water is there if you run out.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-25-2017, 07:43 PM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

Geoff, it's hard to advise without knowing your location (if you are in the US or not), but the Gatorade water bottles are fantastic. They hold nearly a quart and have some kind of valve in the cap; you just invert and squeeze, and the water comes out. I use it for acrylic plein air painting all the time --- so easy to refill my water cup! They sell them in a lot of different places. My husband and I got freebies at Sports Authority when they were doing a giveaway special one time. The look like this: https://www.target.com/p/gatorade-17...A&gclsrc=aw.ds
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-26-2017, 01:01 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the replies. I'll look into both those suggestions. Jamie, I'm in the USA, east coast, and I've seen folks with those Gatorade bottles. I guess my concern with those (or any) reusable bottles is keeping them clean and mold-free. The things always smell musty to me! I suppose this is why God created dishwashers?
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-26-2017, 07:47 AM
New England

Hails from United States

When I go out adventuring on my mountain bike, I wear a hydration backpack by Camelbak.

I love it because it holds both my art gear, as well as my bike gear, wallet, keys, phone, etc.

But the best is that it has a large bladder to hold cold water, and a long tube with a drinking nozzle on the end.

It works so great while I'm riding, but it also serves as my hands-free water bottle when I'm on site. I just need to prop it up before I begin!

Hope this was helpful! Cheers!
Attached Images

Last edited by Soupcan : 06-26-2017 at 07:48 AM. Reason: (bad img file)
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-26-2017, 08:56 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotius
... I suppose this is why God created dishwashers?

God guided, but it was a woman who invented dishwashers!
Josephine Garis Cochran invented the first useful dishwasher in Shelbyville, Ill., and received patent # 355,139 on December 28, 1886. Cochrane, a wealthy woman who entertained often, wanted a machine that could wash dishes faster than her servants, and without breaking them.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-26-2017, 01:59 PM
Enthusiast

To keep my waterbottles from getting musty I store them open with tops next to them. A closed up, damp waterbottle will grow mold and mildew. A full one, or a dry one usually doesn't. Also use them for water only. The sugars in juices etc are lovely for growing mold.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-26-2017, 06:58 PM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotius
Thanks for the replies. I'll look into both those suggestions. Jamie, I'm in the USA, east coast, and I've seen folks with those Gatorade bottles. I guess my concern with those (or any) reusable bottles is keeping them clean and mold-free. The things always smell musty to me! I suppose this is why God created dishwashers?

You can always soak in bleach and water when need be, then rinse. That's what people do who use those water bladder backpacks, like cyclists, etc. If you just empty out the water at the end of the day and let it air dry, it's not a problem.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-29-2017, 06:20 PM
Veteran Member
Hollywood, CA

Hails from United States

I have a water bottle with a flip-up spigot which I can open and close with my chin. Good luck!

“The only way the artist can appeal to humanity is in the guise of the high priest. He must show people more-more than they already see-and he must show them with so much human sympathy and understanding that they will recognize it as if they themselves had seen the beauty and the glory.” ~ Charles Hawthorn