WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Printmaking
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-29-2017, 08:12 AM

Talking Printmaking Newbie

I'm a painter and I could give lots of advice regarding brands, mediums and surafces but I would like to try linocut printmaking and I have no idea where to start. Could anyone point me in the right direction? I have access to Fabriano papers and some Canson. Are there items or brands I should be interested in or avoid?

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-31-2017, 11:25 AM

Re: Printmaking Newbie

for Relief printmaking I think choice of paper is pretty much wide open. Usually printmaking papers have less sizing I think than say watercolor papers, but for Relief you can use pretty much anything.

I'm partial to Rives BFK because it has a great feel and works great for both relief and intaglio processes. I also like Akua inks which are pretty easy to deal with and clean up, but again for relief you have a lot of choices.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2017, 01:30 AM
Veteran Member

You might want to try some other surfaces besides linoleum to see what you like the best.

Gomuban is very nice to work with but is not available in large sizes.
http://www.imcclains.com/catalog/blocks/gomuban.html

Compared to white eraser material (Speedy Cut or MasterCarve) Gomuban is just as easy to carve but it is stiffer so it holds very fine details and crisp edges even under pressure from a press. It is so dense that it can be printed either as an intaglio or as a relief print.
Sintra (foam PVC) is kind of in between wood and linoleum. You can carve very fine lines with it using micro gouges. It also works with drypoint like techniques. I buy my Sintra from a sign supply wholesaler for about $50 for a 4x8 sheet of white 6mm.

I have been an oil based ink guy for decades. I tried Caligo ink and it was not dry after two months. I need to try some Akua ink - my friend swears by it.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-11-2017, 12:51 PM
WC! Guide
Thunder Bay, Ontario

Hails from Canada

Are you printing the blocks by hand or using a press? If you are printing on rag papers I found having more pressure from mechanical means will give you a better result. For hand burnishing thinner smooth papers will produce good results. I tend to favour using kozo or text weight paper for hand pressure application.

www.myprintmakingjourney.blogspot.com
visit my Etsy shop: www.etsy.com/shop/borealart
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-11-2017, 08:17 PM

Hails from Australia

As an oil painter you can adapt your paint into relief printing ink with Georgian Block Printing Medium.
http://www.localartshop.co.uk/daler-...nt-medium.html

The medium will 'thicken' the oil colour and make it tacky for pick up on most papers. I keep a limited palette of Graphic Chemical inks in Black and use oil paint and Medium for my colours.

Are you printing by hand or by press? I have printed on many types of paper and my general advice is use thinner papers for hand burnishing and thicker for press printing when you're starting out, later you'll be able to use paper types and weights for effects. Your Fabriano and Canson are great papers to print.
'Don't worry about your originality. You couldn't get rid of it even if you wanted to. It will stick with you and show up for better or for worse in spite of all you or anyone else can do.' - Robert Henri