WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Plein Air
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-25-2017, 05:32 PM
Veteran Member
Athens, Ohio

Hails from United States
Painting Time Rant

First off, I would like to apologize, A) because of this rant and B) if I conflict with anyone else's view.

As a plein air artist, and an alla prima artist that works primarily from life in general, people often ask me how long it takes to finish a painting. This is a completely understandable question. I would probably ask a painter this if I strolled passed them in the park and saw them painting. The problem is that, when I reply that it takes 45 minutes to 2 hours to complete a piece, I can already tell what is going through alot (not everybody) of people's minds. "Oh, 2 hours? That must be in invaluable piece of trash he is painting, -REAL- paintings take months or years to complete!" Although I understand this is somewhat logical, especially for someone who is not particularly interested in art, this really erks me sometimes. It doesn't bother me when the average passer by asks me how long it takes to complete a piece, but some people just drop these little comments here and there that drive me NUTS!!! (although I never say anything, hence this thread, I need to blow off some steam) There are two people that are very close to me, and their comments seem to bother me the most. "Oh, 2 hours? Well thats not enough time to complete a REAL painting!" Its like they are making excuses for my lack of skill. I have only been painting for about 8 months, I make no false implications of being a master at this. But the thing that really bothers me about it is that it wouldn't matter if it was me, or John Singer Sargent. They just don't understand the beauty of an alla prima piece. And even though I know in my heart that they are just using the best of their logic, their ignorance drives me BANANAS!!!

I know that not every alla prima or plein air piece is a masterfully painted masterpiece that belongs in a museum. Not every oil sketch deserves an award and international recognition. Especially MY work. I never claimed to be Rembrandt. I am not trying to con anyone into thinking that I am some prodigy that does some super human magic with a brush. Alot of people just have this attitude that I have some super human gift because I like to paint, but then make these comments out the side of their teeth when I do quick oil sketches, because, I like to do them. ARRGGHHHhh.

I'm not sure why I am letting this non sense bother me so much. I am lucky that I am able to do what I love, every single day. If this is the only drawback from it, then that is awesome.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-25-2017, 06:16 PM
Enthusiast
California Central Coast

Hails from United States
Re: Painting Time Rant

My standard response is I've been at it for 15 years.

Additional work can be viewed at Mike's site
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-25-2017, 07:30 PM
A Local Legend
Salt Lake City

If you paint in public places, people will approach you and talk about everything including your painting. I have become an unwilling buddy of a few self-proclaimed substance abusers. I have been propositioned twice.

Kids are the most fun. One group was afraid to run into scene as they thought they could spoil the painting like a photo. One little boy told me his mother painted in oil pastels but they were not toys and he could not play with them.

Know-it-alls are the least enjoyable. As I was simplifying a scene, one old drunk kept pointing out things that I had missed. At least he did not ask me how long a painting takes.

I just try to immunize myself against it with good humor. Think of all the great stories you will have to tell. Gary
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-25-2017, 09:31 PM
Lord of the Arts
Oregon

Hails from United States

Come up with some friendly generic responses..even if it is a bit phoney...LOL
you never want to offend a possible customer or get them talking bad about you to others..
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-25-2017, 10:11 PM
Veteran Member

A few of these signs on posts 15 feet away in a circle plus some yellow and black - CAUTION! - tape strung between them forming a ring around you and your easel can eliminate all of the problems with onlookers.

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-26-2017, 02:27 AM
A Local Legend
Pembrokeshire. West Wales UK

Hails from Wales

The public are fine, never had a bad or indecent incident, though there is always hope .

What does annoy is the comments I get on WC, that’s why I no longer post on this forum.

Dave.
“What peaches and what penumbras! Whole families shopping at night! Aisles full of husbands! Wives in the avocados, babies in the tomatoes!—and you, Garcia Lorca, what were you doing down by the watermelons?”
— Allen Ginsberg
Are you ready for a Journey?
PS Critiques always welcome but no plaudits or emoting please.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-26-2017, 06:53 PM
U.S.

Hails from United States

Barkode while I can't say anything on painting from life (as I've never done it before) I do understand what you mean. For example: I believe we as artists SEE differently than our non-artist counterparts.. there are a few of my paintings that I thought were pretty damn good & my family would not be impressed, however, a few of my amaterish paintings seemed to amaze them so I still feel the vibe you have going on & I understand the frustration.. just walk away with self satisfaction that you know the true joys of painting & they don't
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-26-2017, 08:43 PM
Enthusiast

Even worse, IMOSHO, is when your SO (non-painter) suggest "it need more of colour XYZZY", or "why are you painting that junk...".
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-27-2017, 06:49 AM
A Local Legend
Pembrokeshire. West Wales UK

Hails from Wales

Most people have a built in nascent sense that allows them to make an intuitive judgement of a painting. So I never dismiss what the public say to me and have consequently had some interesting and intelligent conversations.
Sure they don’t have the technical terms to describe what they want to say but if you take the time to listen you will learn from them.

Dave.
“What peaches and what penumbras! Whole families shopping at night! Aisles full of husbands! Wives in the avocados, babies in the tomatoes!—and you, Garcia Lorca, what were you doing down by the watermelons?”
— Allen Ginsberg
Are you ready for a Journey?
PS Critiques always welcome but no plaudits or emoting please.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-28-2017, 11:06 PM
Lord of the Arts

"Ah, can I ask you a question? How long have you been painting?"
"Oh, lessee. I started about 45 minutes ago."
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-30-2017, 03:07 PM
Lord of the Arts

BTW, I enjoy having people watch and comment - pro or con. I love the grammas who tell their grandkids that they paint as well as me. In fact I often offer a child a brush to help me put some paint on the canvas. [If I'm painting in acrylics, I paint over after my helper leaves. In oils, I just rub out. And sometimes I just leave the brush strokes in!]
My biggest fears are backing up and 1) falling over a kid, 2) falling into a hole or over a rock, 3) stepping in dog poo, or 4) having a dog pee on my leg. All of which have happened in my 40 yrs of painting outdoors.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2017, 03:51 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Sedona, AZ & Campobello Island, Canada

Whistler had a good line: "A painter is not paid for his labor but for his vision."
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-05-2017, 07:44 PM
Enthusiast
Portland, OR

I'm not a plein air painter, but I often paint alla prima in public (work from photos usually) - at a coffee shop. I've been asked that, and I find most say something like - "it would take me 2 months to do what you've done in 2 hours". So I take it as a compliment. But I don't appreciate unwanted comments from self proclaimed "artists" telling me what is wrong about my composition etc. If I ask you, I want your opinion. If not, be quiet!
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-06-2017, 08:12 PM

I just found an old Ron Ranson book where he describes trying to paint while children throw rocks at him. No rocks for me yet. So, I figure I'm doing ok

Last edited by Alerio : 06-06-2017 at 08:14 PM.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2017, 01:51 AM
Immortalized
Ventura, California

Hails from United States

No one ever asks Itzhak Perlman or James Taylor how long it took them to "play that song". They know that a lifetime of practice and study went into those few minutes of sharing their art. I don't understand why they think painting is different.

http://www.carolynspaintblog.blogspot.com/