WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Plein Air
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-27-2017, 08:19 PM
U.S.

Hails from United States
Re: Plein Air Limited Palette

No yorky I have an iPhone & I just posted it in the open critique forum
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-28-2017, 11:12 PM
Lord of the Arts

JDawg. re: brush sizes. Heed the advice. GO BIG and flat. All flats have five painting surfaces - 2 flats, one edge and two corners! When I paint outdoors (NOT en plein aire!), I try to restrict myself to two flats and if painting boats the edge of an old credit card!
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-30-2017, 11:50 AM

Good luck, JDawg!
Meantime, I do most of my painting in every medium with various sizes of angle shader brushes. Even more versatile than the flats. It's a flat that is slanted and can imitate a wide variety of other brush strokes.
Whatever medium you use, as they're telling you, start big. Don't get lost in details as you start out a painting, or you will find yourself frustrated. Working big into a value painting first allows you to lock in the essentials of composition quickly, so that the change in lighting is less of an issue.
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2017, 01:54 AM
Immortalized
Ventura, California

Hails from United States

Try it in the backyard first. Then if you forget something, you can run back in the house and get it. Or if you drag too much stuff, you will know what not to take next time.

http://www.carolynspaintblog.blogspot.com/
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-29-2017, 05:48 PM
Veteran Member
Hollywood, CA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDawg_97
I've noticed every time I've attempted a fall scene it ends up looking like an amateurish piece of .... it's extremely frustrating & my trees in general are absolutely horrible especially when I try to rush them... do any of you have any patience for sell?
A dear member of this wonderful forum, Larry Seiler, taught me many years ago to "stop painting trees!!!" I questioned his comment in that as a plein air painter, trees are part of our composition. The next words he wrote inspired me to open my eyes. Larry mentioned that I should spend time looking at, feeling the texture of and observing how the light is reflected off of the leaves, the bark, etc., and instead of painting "trees," paint the light I see reflected off of them.
I credit Larry with "opening my eyes" to see what I was missing, and in doing so, he gave me a wonderful way to express what it is that attracted me to the scene I was painting. My "trees" and other things began to take on another whole new dimension in my expression.
See those failures as opportunities to learn from and become better. I still have junk paintings I did years ago as reminders.
I wish you all the best!

“The only way the artist can appeal to humanity is in the guise of the high priest. He must show people more-more than they already see-and he must show them with so much human sympathy and understanding that they will recognize it as if they themselves had seen the beauty and the glory.” ~ Charles Hawthorn