WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Plein Air
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#586   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-13-2017, 12:51 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: Autumn in the Big Bend National Park

Hi Dave, I don't remember seeing your Chile painting, have you posted it anywhere?

Doug
  #587   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-13-2017, 07:59 AM
Enthusiast
Dallas, Texas

Hails from United States

I have been wondering the same thing, Doug. Would love to see Chile. Maybe 1 and 3 will appear together?

Yep, summer is flying by and soon it will be time for your BB trip, Dave. If you stay in a different place, I would love to hear what you think of it. We stayed in the easter egg cabins last time, and they were adequate, but we want to stay somewhere else on our next trip. We have also stayed in the lodge in the basin, which is comfortable but pricey.

We have started planning a fall excursion, but haven't gotten very deep into it. That's a good thing, because yesterday I finally met with the watercolor exhibition committee about the catalog I'm doing for them. Looks like my deadlines are going to fall during the time we had planned to be travelling. Time to revise our thinking.

Thanks for mentioning about drying time on the open acrylic. I got some retarder to add to my regular acrylics, but haven't worked out how much to use yet. Put some in my misting water to spray on the paint on the palette, but haven't noticed any effect.

Pence is keeping very quiet. Staying out of the mire so that he can step up with clean shoes?
  #588   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-13-2017, 11:11 PM
Lord of the Arts
Kansas

Hails from United States

Hi Doug & Robyn and whomever else is out there:

Chile: Is finished as far as I can see.

Chile-3 is also, as of 3 minutes ago finished... but tomorrow will bring another look at it. I will wait until it really feels dry before a glossy topcoat goes on.

No I have not yet posted either one. The high gloss top coat makes it hard to photograph well. Will try again in a bit.

...and that's it for the two bargain stretched canvases that have been in the basement for years.

I have been in the 'Easter Egg' / Chisos Mining Company motel twice and am open to something else. The park lodge is out due to the cost. There are a couple of other places in town and there's the Trelingua Ranch... which is a bit of a long drive from town.

One thing I want to do this time is paint in the Black Gap Wildlife Management Area. This is just south of BBNP and looks interesting. To do this I must first pay a fee to a Texas State agency that manages it. Then go down and if no 'hunts' are schedruled that day I can sign in and out at my leasure.

If you get Dave interested in another BBNP trip... I know who would lend you a boat. But a trip to Canada could be a real winner.

I have no idea how long the Golden Open acrylics are supposed to take but I saw my test of a spreadout, thin strip still fluid at 6.5 hours. This is claimed to be faster if mixed with standard acrylics.

Pence... would be the President no one voted for. Just another donald... without the erratic behavior. I'd rather see Hillary sue for it on the grounds of her popular vote win and the interference of a hostile foreign power. Dreaming I am.

Warm day with several storms. Thundering as I type. Rose bush rabbit seen today but no wood chucks.

Comments ? Dave
  #589   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-14-2017, 01:32 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

I look forward to seeing them Dave.

Have you tried protecting your watercolours with Dorland wax? CharM uses that technique on gallery wrapped watercolours which can be hung without framing and they sell well. She stretches watercolour paper over cheap pre-made cavasses.

Doug
  #590   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-15-2017, 08:22 AM
Enthusiast
Dallas, Texas

Hails from United States

I looked Black Gap up and gosh, that place looks wild. Take flares in case you need the rangers to come and find you!

We finally got passport photos made. It will probably take a while to get replacements because we were lazy enough to let the old ones lapse. But in 8-12 weeks we will be all ready for international travel! The last time we were out of the country was to visit Iceland, and that was way too long ago. Meantime, we will probably head somewhere out west.

I hope you can beat the gloss probem and show us the Chile paintings. I'm very curious and really do enjoy your work.

Took a little break from painting, except that yesterday I did some copies of an Utah watercolor artist, E. Verdine. He uses a lovely muted palette and watery effects. Lots for me to learn.

Coffee tastes especially good this morning. It's going to be a good day!
  #591   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-15-2017, 11:03 PM
Lord of the Arts
Kansas

Hails from United States

Robyn & Doug and whomever:

I'm still looking at Chile-3 and thinking... can't I improve this thing?

Dorland Wax... that's something new to me. The exhibitions I've entered often say the paintings must be glazed, (usually with plastic) and can't be varnished. In a gallery however I suspect the waxed look would be helpful and a positive thing. I did one these acrylics with gel topcoat polymer acrylic, clear and glossy... and in about a week will do the same with the second piece.

I have been thinking of Nielson #22 in satin silver for these two stretched canvases. These are thin aluminum frames. I think a neat unobtrusive and contemporary look would result. Something that would look well almost anywhere while being robust and reinforcing the stretchers. I'm not into the casual, 'gallery wrap' look.

Iceland... I'd love to go there but somehow don't think I will. Must have been a great trip. Black Gap is a huge place and should be interesting to explore although I don't think our ancient Honda CRV is up to Black Gap's dirt back roads. I won't get to be too crazy. Getting to be time to start making reservations and I still don't have exact dates picked out. I need to drag on my thinking cap... and think.

Managed to purchase a DVD of the movie 'Tim's Vermeer'. It came bundled with a Blue-Ray disk and I gave that away to an artist here named Tim. We don't have a Blue-Ray player.
>This is the Texas inventor who set out to paint himself a Vermeer painting... copying 'The Music Lesson'... he spent ten years figuring out how Vermeer did it. Went to Holland to see and measure in the museum. Then in Texas Built a copy of Vermeers studio in a rented building, set it up as Vermeer had it. Made his own paints with the same colors, figured out Vermeers apparatus, made lenses and mirrors, interviewed experts and managed to see the original 'The Music Lesson' in the collection of the Queen. Then he did it, a year of painstaking painting. The big thing is he's not an artist and except for one little experiment this was his first painting. Amazing.

Guy across the street told me yesterday that his rain gauge had 3 1/2 inches in it. Another neighbor has 2 inches of water in her basement. Ugly... but certainly preferrable to 4-5 racoons.

We have just renewed our passports and also got the border crossing cards. It went pretty fast although we did beat the Summer rush.

No ground hogs seen... rose bush rabbit still there.

Comments ? Dave
  #592   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2017, 03:05 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Char's gallery wrapped canvasses protected with Dorland wax seem to sell like hot cakes, they can be hung without frames. I would only use the wax on watercolours.

I saw a trailer for the Vermeer film - incredible!

Doug
  #593   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2017, 07:32 AM
Enthusiast
Dallas, Texas

Hails from United States

I wonder why someone would go to such lengths to copy a painting, building a duplicate studio and making paint from scratch. It goes beyond homage and appreciation. Would love to hear any insights you get from the video. I also wonder if he didn't feel very let down when the copy was finally finished. What to do next?

Iceland was a wonderful experience, and for an English speaker it is a very easy place to visit. That trip was what got me into both plein air painting and watercolor. The only downside for this Texan was being cold all the time, but that is just because of what I'm used to. There was another trip where we visited a friend in Northumberland at Christmastime. Doug, your countryman was comfortable in a thick shirt while I had to layer on everything I had in my suitcase and still felt the cold.

Dave, would renting an off-road vehicle be something you would do for Black Gap?

I'm adding the Dakota badlands to our list of possibilities for autumn.

I see the appeal of gallery wraps to buyers, but it's not the way I lke to present my work. An actual frame, even a minimal one, sets a painting off from its surroundings and focuses attention on it. I do some gouache on panel paintings, and like to finish them with a cold wax so they can be hung without glass. Haven't used it on watercolors, though.

Got notice yesterday of my acceptance into the local WC society show this year. Keiko Tanabe is our juror.
  #594   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2017, 07:40 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

I have around a hundred paintings, 45 of them matted and sleeved and I can't afford to frame them. Gallery wrap means no frame and mat needed (apart form the background canvas). It also appeals to buyers who don't have to factor in the price of the framing.

Doug
  #595   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2017, 08:55 PM
Lord of the Arts
Kansas

Hails from United States

Doug & Robyn & others:

I have a tubs full of unprepared art and have been offered shows... but, as an example, just to show my work on the Midland Trail series would run US$ 8,000 for framing materials and I'd have to do the labor myself and then need a van to move them to and fro. The possibility I'd be able to break even with sales is very remote. This is the case with all my watercolor and pen & wash series pieces.

Since I only have two 30x40 inch stretched canvas pieces however I can frame them. They will look better. There is a local show I can enter them into this fall.

The Dakota badlands... I surveyed through the area decades ago for an oil exploration crew. Quite a place... but not as spectacular as BBNP.

There is only one four wheeler available for hire in the BBNP area. It is a four door jeep sited out of Alpine. Not cheap and I suspect not wonderful either. I'd actually rather walk. I plan to have two back packs and set one up daily as required.

In the last scene of the movie you see Vermeers 'The Music Lesson' hung on a wall... and then realize that it's in Tims home.

Raccoon house: The animals are out now and the heir is trying to come to a decision on what to do with the place. It's quite a mess.

No Wood Chucks seen today but rose bush rabbit has been in the usual spot.

Comments ? Dave
  #596   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2017, 08:21 AM
Enthusiast
Dallas, Texas

Hails from United States

I frame on an as-needed schedule. If something is going to a gallery, it gets framed before it goes. I haven't had to frame an entire show in years but hope to change that in the next year or so. Dave, you make me realize it would be a good idea to estimate my framing expenses. I've got good local supplier that precuts everything for me, then I assemble and do the actual framing myself. In a pinch I can cut my own mats that are almost as clean as the laser cut ones. The show I'm putting together would be mostly work on panels: gouache, acrylic, and water mixable oil. The panels are much cheaper to frame.

Doug, to me mats and sleeves are plenty good enough for less formal venues. But yes, any purchasers would need to consider framing. Keeping the outside dimensions of the mats to standard sizes can help make that easier.

Dave, its a shame you've had to turn down exhibition offers because of framing. 8 grand is a major major outlay.

lots of luck to the new owner of Raccoon Manor.
  #597   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2017, 10:16 PM
Lord of the Arts
Kansas

Hails from United States

Robyn & Doug & whomever:

I cut my matts and plastic glazing. No longer do fancy matts but I usually do a double or triple... I like the look.

I always try to have an idea what it costs to exhibit something. Lots of times it's only worth it if your ego needs a boost. I recall once exhibiting in NYC and it cost with shipping, entry fee and warehouse fees about US$ 200 and the show only hung two weeks. I did this three times that year and sold nothing for our $600 bucks. So, I don't exhibit in NYC anymore... the math does not work there. I do agree that framing oils and acrylics is cheaper as no glazing is required. That darn plastic glazing is getting expensive.

BBNP outting: Research on painting in the Black Gap Wildlife Management Area: I will need to spend $17 for an annual limited-use permit good for any Texas WMA. These start validity in mid August so I won't buy one before that. Then I need to know when the BGWMA is closed to allow hunting and work around that. I might actually go in and camp a night or two. Could be fun.

About three months to go ! Whooie!

Thinking about a change on Chile-3.

The new Doctor Who is to be a woman !

Comments ? Dave

Last edited by manfrommerriam : 07-17-2017 at 10:18 PM.
  #598   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2017, 08:03 AM
Enthusiast
Dallas, Texas

Hails from United States

I'm with you on transportation costs and rarely enter any shows that require shipping. If I can't hand deliver, the outlay is just too much. One day I will enter NWS or AWS and you got it right, that would be an ego thing.

Dave, you are a Dr. Who fan? I made a real effort to like that show because it is a favorite of so many friends. Just never got it. Maybe I didn't start young enough.

Once I get another cup of coffee down I'm going out to paint more local color, the building that used to be the post office for one of the nearby neighborhoods. Now it is a wine bistro. I'm going very early to avoid the heat and see how the light will be.

Prepped 3 panels yesterday for my suburban landscapes.

Chile 3 is still perking, eh?
  #599   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2017, 09:49 PM
Lord of the Arts
Kansas

Hails from United States

Robyn & others:

Yeah the doctor is a thing with Judy and I. It's not just because we have a third hand Tardis... but the whole story becomes so interwoven that it keeps you guessing where the writer is going and how to arrive there.

Going out early is not just great for beating the heat but it gives you those fantastic long shadows. Suburban landscapes.. good on 'ya !

I have to ship to any watercolor society exhibitions. There are a couple of shows near us but they are 'cattle calls' for anything you can carry through the door and get past the juror(s).

Hitting a hundred degrees, (F) this week. Rose bush rabbit frequently seen today but no wood chucks... I'm suspecting the latter have been trapped or poisoned by our neighborhood fussies. Wish they would go after the darn squirrels instead.

Chile-3: I've been looking at it for days, a bit unhappy. Last night a comment Judy made opened my eyes to the problem. I reworked the shadows in one area late last night and I'm thinking it's about right now. Restarted the drying time clock and now expect to put on the gel topcoat next week.

Starting to consider buying another 30x40 canvas, (!). This is the largest size that will fit on my work table.

Time to start getting interested in lodging at BBNP. Research time. Get the latest rates.

Comments ? Dave

Last edited by manfrommerriam : 07-18-2017 at 09:54 PM.
  #600   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-19-2017, 07:53 AM
Enthusiast
Dallas, Texas

Hails from United States

So how do you stand on the new woman doctor?

Bully for you and another 30x40. That sounds huge, in more ways than one. Did you really like working on that scale? Have another Chile view in mind?

Yesterday was a pretty good day. Had my early morning sketchbook paint and met some nice people. I really thought that corner would be quieter so early in the morning. Actual painting time was just an hour and a half once conversation time was deducted. The shadows were nice and long.

Then I got a good start on two of the suburban landscapes back in the studio. The panels began with an acrylic texture/tone, and the painting is being done with water mixable oils. I will probably attempt watercolor versions of them as well.

Today has been designated "Cooper Appreciation Day" and I will be making a special effort to pay attention to the dog. He gets awfully bored when we both have projects going that don't involve him.

Sorry to hear that the groundhogs may be gone. They sounded like comical little creatures.

Last edited by Cedarita : 07-19-2017 at 07:59 AM.