WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Plein Air
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2016, 08:13 AM
Enthusiast
Dallas, Texas

Hails from United States
Re: Autumn in the Big Bend National Park

OK sounds like I don't need to try Aquarius, either.

I hope the foam core works for you. When I have tried backing oils on paper with quarter inch foam core, the board warped from the moisture in the glue. You have worked with mounting paper more....maybe you know some good tricks. Maybe a different kind of glue would be better. I used PVA.
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2016, 05:55 PM
Lord of the Arts
Kansas

Hails from United States

Robyn: Yes give Aquarius a shot... you might like how it goes. But buy Aqualius 2, not Aquarius. The latter is an old formulation that you might encounter... it contained fiberglass... itchy fiberglass.

I sealed those masonite* panels with acrylic matt medium and then used a mixture of 2 parts Elmers school glue and 1 part water. The paper was put onto the glue, wet from the tub. I had to glue 140# CP paper to both sides... so that one warp cancelled the other. It is a lot of fuss and the result is heavy... but works well. I'm going to try some other ideas since there is time to experiment.

*also thin plywood ones however they did not warp and so I only put paper on one side. These panels are limited however in that one side has to be 12 inches.

Perhaps the trick would be to stretch the paper and let it dry stretched... then glue it on.

Art Barge: This morning I went to a nearby county lake and bought an annual boating pass/sticker. This lake will be where I do my initial attempts at inflating and paddling the thing. I also have joined a state kyacking group so I can go out with that group on longish trips... get some miles on the boat and tips from the other boaters. I have also renewed my passport so visiting Boquillas will be possible. Plus my second used "inflatable kyacking" book arrived. Some progress has been accomplished. Some.

Comments? Dave

Last edited by manfrommerriam : 02-11-2016 at 06:03 PM.
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2016, 12:45 PM
Immortalized
Heart of Missouri's Outback!

Hails from United States

Dave,

Looks like you had a great time and created some great paintings too!
Donald
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2016, 07:44 AM
Enthusiast
Dallas, Texas

Hails from United States

Hey Dave, I've been wondering if you've gotten that kayak wet yet? How are things progressing?
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2016, 09:40 PM
Lord of the Arts
Kansas

Hails from United States

Hi Robyn: Back from Nodak? Hope the weather was good.

I have been busy with a couple of art series projects but have started to experiment with water color grounds on thin panels. I bought some QOR Watercolor Cold Press Ground. It is thick and dries quickly and has an incredible, rough texture. Too rough I'm thinking. I put it onto 6mm plywood and also 6mm masonite. Have not taken either of them outdoors yet.

As for the Big Bend Art Barge: yes I have wetted it. I put in just one of the seats and used an inflatable seat cushion to sit a bit higher.

However I have found on our local lake the wind just spoiled the fun. I only stayed out half an hour as it was all I could do to move against the wind. With no load aboard it sat high. There was chop but that was not a problem. I have been back to the lake but found it still windy and did not go out. So... looking forward to better conditions and they should be soon.

Comments? Dave
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2016, 09:16 AM
Enthusiast
Dallas, Texas

Hails from United States

Oh, that wind! It's been perfect plein air weather here except for the wind. I wish it would let up.

Nice photo - seeing it with the seat gives an idea of the size and your need for a pared down compact kit. Does QoR make more than one ground?
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2016, 08:32 PM
Lord of the Arts
Kansas

Hails from United States

Robyn: The Art Barge is 12.5 feet long. That seat positions the paddler at the center of the boat. If I had the second seat installed it would be in the back. As for the wind... just got'a keep watching for a good day.

I did an 8 x 10 inch watercolor today on a wildly textured QOR surface... the results are interesting but not as tightly drawn as I usually paint. QOR does make other grounds and I will try a smoother version next. QOR is a brand offered by Golden. Golden markets watercolor grounds under it's own name as well.

Comments? Dave
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-03-2016, 06:56 AM
Enthusiast
Dallas, Texas

Hails from United States

Aside from the texture, how did you like that ground? Was it absorbent?
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-03-2016, 09:26 PM
Lord of the Arts
Kansas

Hails from United States

Robyn: First... I hate to post this. it is not my photo as I just grabbed a Kayacking book and picked a B&W image that had a lot of splashing in it. However you can see the texture and the results. it is largely watercolors but has a bit of scratching and sanding, pen, marker, graphite and even... wait for it... white-out. Here tis, judge for yourself. 8x10 on masonite. It has been coated with acrylic varnish to protect some of that fragile media.

Comments? Dave
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-04-2016, 07:15 AM
Enthusiast
Dallas, Texas

Hails from United States

Wow, I see what you mean about the texture. IMO, the water looks really great, with the texture and your washes suggesting the motion of the rapids, but the texture worked against you when it came to the figure. The pen line looks crisp, that's a surprise. I can't see the white out!
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-04-2016, 09:45 PM
Lord of the Arts
Kansas

Hails from United States

Robyn: Well, you asked about absorption with this wc ground and I ran a few tests.

First: The surface is less absorbant. The water beads up on the surface. This means it takes longer to dry and wet into wet work has additional spreading... and that spreading tends to follow the texture and show it up.

You should note though that wet into dry seems good and as you remarked pen lines stay sharp.

Second: I tried to break the water surface tension to see if it would absorb better. I first used a bit of detergent and in a second trial a bit of Ox Gall. The Ox Gall seems to help the most but results are not changed that much.

This is not jolly news for painting on the banks of the Rio Grande... I'd be all day drying my arts washes. I'll have to put the thinking cap back on.

Comments? Dave

Last edited by manfrommerriam : 03-04-2016 at 09:52 PM.
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-06-2016, 11:38 PM
Lord of the Arts
Kansas

Hails from United States

Robyn: I am now trying panels coated with Daniel Smith Titanium White Watercolor Ground. While the QOR product says to let dry the D.S. products label says to let dry for 24 to 72 hours. The D.S. ground has much less texture and is a bit translucent. It also has clean water bead-up on the surface. However there does seem to be a little more absorption as it dries a bit faster. Use of water with detergent led to water moving outside of the initially wetted area. Use of Ox Gall seems to lead to slightly faster drying time. The results varied by so little that they are inconclusive.

It appears that these watercolor grounds are so costly Aquabords would be a viable option for my purpose... but I will use up the wc grounds I have on hand.

The big news is an art award I was just notified of... and... the Art Barge is more than paid for now! Whoo Hu! Now if the weather would just improve.

Comments? Dave
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2016, 08:16 AM
Enthusiast
Dallas, Texas

Hails from United States

Congratulations on the award! Sounds like it was a really good one! Any chance of seeing your winning piece?

I think the WN ground is the one my buddy uses to paint on all kinds of surfaces she likes to decorate. She likes it a lot, but I have never tried it. Painting on paper is enough of a challenge for me.
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2016, 10:34 PM
Lord of the Arts
Kansas

Hails from United States

Robyn: Here it is, a quicky plein-air piece I did last Summer as an early test of my panel making for the 2015 BBNP outting. It is mixed media, (largely watercolors and some acrylics) on masonite with 140CP watercolor paper glued to it.

I won a Best of Show yesterday with this. Easily paid for the Art Barge!

I have not tried the W+N wc ground. Some of the panels I'm preparing now are looking good. One is a 12x16 inch Jack Richeson Hardboard panel that despite being half as thick as the masonite I've tried, (3mm vs 6mm)... two coats of the DS ground have not caused the JR panel to warp! That's good.

Incidentally I've looked at the water-tight packing case I have and panels as large as 13x16 are possible with it. So... 12x16 sounds like a common framing size and that would be best. If I took along oils I'd also want some large canvases but this would mean working on those oils outside the canyons rather than in them. I can't see paddling along with a huge wet oil sticking up in the paddles way and smudging the Art Barge... perhaps I could strap a big stretched oil onto a truck inner tube and tow it on the river? Not as impossible as it sounds.

The weather here still is too mean for lake kayacking, gasp. If it is nice outdoors it is also windy.

Comments? Dave
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2016, 07:57 AM
Enthusiast
Dallas, Texas

Hails from United States

That's a really nice piece, deserving of the big win! I love it when painting subjects reflect everyday experiences, like your construction scene does. I love it even more when such paintings get recognition.

Plein air work is such a balancing act when it comes to how much gear to take. The idea of oils in an inner tube trailer is ingenious, and you might find other uses for the inner tube during your trip. How much would that complicate portage?

PS I did my first plein air of the season last weekend and the results were truly awful! I am out of practice....need to get out more.

Last edited by Cedarita : 03-08-2016 at 07:59 AM.