WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > Watercolor Studio
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2005, 12:21 AM
A WC! Legend
Bowmanville Ontario

Hails from Canada
Northleach Church Wip

I thought I would do a WIP and was finally inspired to get started today after Andy Lavallee posted an image in the Wash, of the town where my Dad was born in England.

This is Northleach church of St. Peter and St. Paul, in The Cotswold Hills of Gloucesteshire in England. Northleach is a wool town probably most famous for itís church, which is built in the perpendicular style.

My Dad was born in Northleach, christened in this church, and spent his summers with his grandparents here.

I have collected tons of images of this church. Including a painting of the same reference I will use, and which I had my father-in-law paint last year. Itís a beautiful painting, but I need to do this myself. Perhaps I will give it to my sister if it turns out.

The reference image is B&W. Andy's image of the Market area of Northleach, in the Wash gave me a pretty good idea of the colour of the cotswold stone and eliminated any excuse I had not to paint this.

Image is drawn on Arches 140# CP, quarter sheet. I stretch and staple the paper.

Start with the sky which here, is cerulean and paynes gray to deaden it. I will fix that later with some indigo.

Wet the paper, donít let it dry to a sheen, thatís for people with patience. I am not in that demographic I am afraid. I splash about, mostly horizontal stokes and then start tipping and turning the board. Donít stop until the water stops flowing. Tip it up and go make tea, or read the wash and see what Spritey has been falling out of lately.

Still lots of time to ruin this... which i hope does not happen now that I have started all this.

C & C, tips etc all welcome.

Gooby, back in a bit.

[Note: This thread has been edited; posts that did not pertain to the technique being demonstrated were removed in the interest of preserving continuity of instruction. The Moderators]

"When art critics get together they talk about Form and Structure and Meaning. When artists get together they talk about where you can buy cheap turpentine." Pablo Picasso

Last edited by painterbear : 03-26-2008 at 04:08 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2005, 12:36 AM
A WC! Legend
Bowmanville Ontario

Hails from Canada
Re: Northleach Church Wip

My Dad swore he left England to get away from the rain. So rather than paint the light image from my Ref, I decided to use a deeper, somewhat ominous sky similar to another reference which is there on the wall beside the painting.

To get a transparent sky I mix my washes very thin. Lots of water. I use ceramic ashtrays which I found 2/$1.00 at the local dollar store. These are deep and white, make great palettes. Lots of water. Oh and did I say, lots of water.

There I got my paint, my Tim Horton's coffee, pictures of the girls and my icewine if things go bad. My Dad was an artist and he never tidied up much either.

Now I am using a wet wash of Indigo and cerulean. I will go over this a few times to get a deep colour.

I try to leave some hard and soft edges by touching along the edges of the paint with a damp brush. My caddy taught me to do this.

I had to add some masking to try and save the edges of the building. I was getting too sloppy here.

My great grandfather Herbert Earle was born in Northleach and was the church organist at St. Peter & St. Paul for about 50 years. His house at 3 College Row could be seen from the church tower. Herbert was married to the schoolteacher from Hampnett, Annie Dance, who originated in Wales.

"When art critics get together they talk about Form and Structure and Meaning. When artists get together they talk about where you can buy cheap turpentine." Pablo Picasso
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2005, 12:36 AM
A WC! Legend
Bowmanville Ontario

Hails from Canada

Lets not panic yet folks, the sky will be ok in the end.

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2005, 12:48 AM
A WC! Legend
Bowmanville Ontario

Hails from Canada

There is a palque on the wall of St. Peter and St. Paul's commemrating those boys from the village who died in the wars. Included is the name of my Dad's uncle, William Earle, Corporal, 12th Gloucesters who died in May 1917 at Arras France, he is also named on the memorial in the Town square.

Dad was named after his uncle Billy, ad when Dad died I got Billy's bugle

Ok while I did that, I was waiting for this to dry. Here I have gone over the sky a few times with clear water to soften it up a bit.

Last edited by mr sandbanx : 04-03-2005 at 01:31 AM.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2005, 01:03 AM
A WC! Legend
Bowmanville Ontario

Hails from Canada

Ok Kevin from here on in I will be working mostly right side up. You get some sleep. And yes the painting would be meaningless to me without the story, but it will have a bit of a twist at the end. (If Malty can keep a secret)

It is believed that the church was built to commemorate the marriage of Henry Tudor and Elizabeth of York The church is renowned for having a collection of some of Britainís best wool merchantís brasses and is known as a 'cathedral of the Cotswolds'.

I found this reference today and will use it to help with the window details.

OK have not much patience for green today so here I am painting the trees with Yellow Ochre and French Ultramarine Blue. Later I will add some sepia or something.

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2005, 01:26 AM
A WC! Legend
Bowmanville Ontario

Hails from Canada

Adding a gray wash (Burnt Sienna and FUB) over the church and gravestones, some lemon yellow to the foreground and now i will get to sleep.

Gooby

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2005, 11:19 AM
A WC! Legend
Bowmanville Ontario

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by painterbear
Hi Chris,

Sitting next to JJ waiting for the next episode in your family saga and watching your lovely painting progress. I'm enjoying both immensely.

BTW, can you explain what "the perpendicular style" of architecture is? I know you are an architect, so it must be a technical term I'm not aware of.

Sylvia

OK since my Architect is still apparently in (or was before we cross posted) the horizontal, I will try:

Perpendicular: Of or relating to a style of English Gothic architecture of the 14th and 15th centuries, characterized by emphasis of the vertical element. ie. at right agles (perpendicular) to the horizontal.

There is a chapel at Westminster Abbey built by Henry VII which is in the perpendicular style. Westmeinster Abbey of course is where Poets Corner is. Kevin and I hope to be put there once we achieve the state of permanently horizontal.

Forgot the spring forward thing and missed church, so have flailed away at this a bit.

Chris (better stop with the gooby thing)

Last edited by mr sandbanx : 04-03-2005 at 11:36 AM.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2005, 01:59 PM
A WC! Legend
Bowmanville Ontario

Hails from Canada

Last October, a large stone fell from the nave at St. Peter and St. Paul and the church has been closed since, while waiting for repairs.

Added some detail in the church. FUB and Burnt Sienna for the windows.

Added some shadows here.

Established as a market town after the Norman Conquest, in about 1220, Northleach was granted its Charter in 1227 by the Abbott of Gloucester.

Detail of the church.

#9   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2005, 02:51 PM
A WC! Legend
Bowmanville Ontario

Hails from Canada

Going to finish this off in a hurry now.

Some more detail in the windows, touching up the shadows.

I have done a lot of research on the family tree, too much probably. My dad left Northleach when he was about three, when his father went to work in Ross on Wye. Before that there was ancestors Richard, John, William, Herbert and Frederic (Dad's father). Six generations lived in Northleach.

A few bits on the grave in the foreground.

ok now comes the part I like.

#10   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2005, 03:12 PM
A WC! Legend
Bowmanville Ontario

Hails from Canada

Ok well I sort of lied to you all a bit. I did not post the full reference image at the start. Seems I cropped it.

A long time ago, up there I mentioned Great grandfather Herbert. His father was William, and William was the son of John who was the son of Richard. John Earle (my Great Great Great Grandfather) was born 1795 in Lower Slaughter not far from Northleach and he was christened at St. Peter and St. Paul.

John was a carpenter/joiner.

My father recalled that when he was young, and spent the summers at Northleach with his friend Ivor Miller (Ivor was killed in action during WWII and his name is also on a plaque in the church), they would play in the churchyard.

The story Dad told was that his GG Grandfather John had been a dour man, and had arranged for his gravestone to be topped with spikes, in order to prevent the children from playing leapfrog over it. John died in 1876.

I found this reference image totally by accident. The photograph was taken in about 1901. I was googling about the internet one day doing research, and this image popped up in the British National Archives. I was totally surprised.

The gravestone is that of my ancestor John complete with spikes.

Chris

Last edited by mr sandbanx : 04-03-2005 at 03:46 PM.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2005, 03:14 PM
A WC! Legend
Bowmanville Ontario

Hails from Canada

John Earle's Grave, Northleach.

Arches 140#CP, Holbein and Davinci Paints. 11 x 15"

Thanks for looking.

Chris

#12   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2005, 03:16 PM
Lord of the Arts
Nr Yeovil Somerset.

Hails from England

Chris as summer is coming a a run up to the Cotswolds is one of our favorite trips if you want pics of any special place your welcome to ask!!!!.. found this as you probably have, but its colour is quite good .

http://www.john.wilkes.dial.pipex.com/churches.htm
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2005, 03:20 PM
Conway, SC

Hails from United States

What a wonderful painting with a wonderful story to go along with it. I enjoyed watching your WIP. Thanks for sharing. This painting has special meaning to you, I am sure. Great job, Jane
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2005, 03:22 PM
A WC! Legend
Kansas

Hails from United States

Wow Chris...that is so cool about your dad's great, great grandfather (did I get enough greats in?) with the spikes on his tomb. He must have been quite a character (like someone else I know ). I bet you were surprised to find that picture on the internet. You did a great job on this painting..it's fantastic! Especially love the old, old, old church. Wow it is old!! You are lucky to know so much about your heritage... I don't know mine that far back.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2005, 03:26 PM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janiesam
What a wonderful painting with a wonderful story to go along with it. I enjoyed watching your WIP. Thanks for sharing. This painting has special meaning to you, I am sure. Great job, Jane

I agree - a very nice painting and a wonderful story. What an incredible coincidence having your ancestor's graveston right in front of the camera.

Make sure you paste a print out of your story on the back of the frame.

Congratulations on painting a family heirloom.

Doug

Last edited by Yorky : 04-03-2005 at 03:30 PM.