WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-11-2012, 01:58 PM
Alameda, Ca

from image library

I've been using some of the images from the WC image library.... big thanks to the members who upload reference pictures.
This is a 16" x 20" oil on canvas
The title as is from the library "Allie With Bear"

I changed few things from the original photo.... I cropped the image, I also changed the background, I made it a little warmer with this golden ochre tone and also changed the color of Allie's sweater, made it cooler to make contrast with the background.
In the original photo Allie looks like she's been crying. I wanted to change this and make her face thoughtful and make her look like she is enjoying the sunlight which comes in through the window. I am not sure if I succeeded in this part. I think she still looks sad C&C are always welcome they help me to grow and learn.

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-11-2012, 04:34 PM
Lord of the Arts
East Coast USA

Hails from United States
Re: from image library

First thing I noticed was the window light shining on the girls left cheek and of course on her teddy bear. I really like how you painted this. Well done.

Drawing is the basis of art. A bad painter cannot draw. But one who draws well can always paint. (Arshile Gorky)
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-12-2012, 06:23 PM
the American West

Hails from United States

Tintero....I can see you really put a lot of effort into this painting..very good reflected lights...nice yellow/violet contrast...good drawing. I don't know if you are finished..but you might firm up the edges of her hands a little more...and eliminate the wisp of hair in the light on top of her head [not needed and is distracting]. Also.. I know you were using a photo as reference by the way the light areas on her sweater are so overexposed...try adding just a very thin barely-colored glaze of your warm ochre over the whites to create a subtle glow over these areas... another chance to tie the yellows together in the composition. Overall...I would say you did a great job!
Blog 'Painting Space'
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-12-2012, 07:23 PM

Hails from United States

how long did this take to paint? i am trying to get an understanding of how long does it take to paint certain pictures,
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-12-2012, 09:57 PM
Alameda, Ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by toph
how long did this take to paint? i am trying to get an understanding of how long does it take to paint certain pictures,

This one took me two days. the first day I spent around 4 hours then I let the first layer dry a bit and continue painting another 5 hours.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-12-2012, 10:14 PM
Alameda, Ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearlight
Tintero....I can see you really put a lot of effort into this painting..very good reflected lights...nice yellow/violet contrast...good drawing. I don't know if you are finished..but you might firm up the edges of her hands a little more...and eliminate the wisp of hair in the light on top of her head [not needed and is distracting]. Also.. I know you were using a photo as reference by the way the light areas on her sweater are so overexposed...try adding just a very thin barely-colored glaze of your warm ochre over the whites to create a subtle glow over these areas... another chance to tie the yellows together in the composition. Overall...I would say you did a great job!

Thank you for your comments and recommendations, I am still a beginner in oil painting. I am trying to absorb all the knowledge that I can and your comments really help me in this process. I really appreciate it.