WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > Watercolor Studio
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-29-2015, 04:42 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Far North Coast NSW Aussieland

Hails from Australia
WIP Portrait "A Mothers Love"

I recently was asked to paint a portrait for a friend of mine so I took photos along the way, I thought it would make a good WIP to show some of my methods of painting.

Firstly I have my Arches 300 gm medium paper stretched onto a board, my portrait drawn in with pencil and ref picture by my side, all ready to go.

I find it is crucial to my painting to have a good pencil sketch of my portrait. This is the accuracy which is so hard to fix if it is wrong after you have started to paint. So I always double check the portrait sketch before I paint to make sure it is as accurate as it can be.

the size of my painting is 30 by 30 cm.

I have favourite colours I usually always use for portraits, and as I go I tend to add a few more as needed. My palette is made up of mostly Winsor Newton.
With a mixture of Permanent Carmine and Winsor Blue (the green shade) I mix up a rather watery purple and start painting in the darker areas on the face.

I let this totally dry before I glaze in another layer. If I was to paint over this first layer when the paint was still wet, I will end up with muddied colours. The idea of glazing is to let each layer dry first, as this gives the finished painting a beautiful glow, and clean colours, some say is much like stained glass windows. I usually always glaze my skin tones, not working wet into wet all that much.

I then continue to build my foundation with darker purple on the darks and more Permanent Carmine on the skin tones. I paint in the eyes with a mixture of blues. Using the watery purple mixture I also paint in the back ground of the right side of her face, and I negatively paint in her hair.

My palette now has a mixture of different little puddles of colour I can use, as I painted her hair in I also used different mixtures, not just the purple. it is all about experimenting and learning as you go

I use the same purple mixture, this time a little stronger in colour to paint in the pattern for her swimwear, which is actually black. I never use black, but will mix colours that make "pretty " blacks. these colours are always colours I use in my painting. so here for the first layer of black I am using a mix of Winsor blue ( the green shade) and Permanent Carmine.
I have also painted in the flowers with Permanent Carmine.

Now I introduce Winsor Yellow and glaze over her skin tones where I feel it needs balancing out. I don't touch the highlights yet, rather leaving them the white of the paper. Paint in the yellow of her swimwear, and negative paint her hair with a purpley mixture I have used before.

I keep adding layers of skin tones using my main colours of Permanent Carmine, Winsor blue ( the green shade) and winsor yellow.

I have also added another layer to the black in her swimwear. This time I used a mixture of Winsor Green ( the blue shade) and Alizerin Crimson, which makes a lovely black... Be careful not to go too dark with your blacks too soon. A subtle black for now will do, and I can adjust it later if needed. it is hard to go back and make it less intense after you have already painted it in.

I paint in her lips with a watery mix of permanent carmine , then when it is dry I glaze over this, adding some Winsor Violet to give a slight depth. I only add a small amount as this is a very strong colour.

I will update tomorrow
hope I am explaining this ok, and feel free to ask me any questions along the way.

Last edited by Netty : 07-29-2015 at 05:14 AM. Reason: same as always... spelling :)