WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Studio and Gallery
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-25-2013, 03:15 PM
WC! Guide
New York

Hails from United States
Pears (texture experiment)

I sketched some pears a few weeks ago and did this painting from the sketch. I liked the way they looked sitting up on a box but the box didn't have much interest. Crumpled tissue paper and matte medium gave me something fun to paint on! It was also an excuse to use some vibrant reds that I don't normally use very much. 11x16 on heavy watercolor paper with gesso, matte medium, tissue paper, more matte medium, Golden Fine Pumice Gel, Golden Fluid Acrylics (the underpainting) and pastels of many brands.

Here's a close-up of the underpainting; just a monochromatic value plan to follow.

Then I started putting pastel on top of the underpainting. It was like hitting speed bumps when I came to those ridges!

The finished piece:

This was fun and I'll probably play around with texture again.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-25-2013, 04:22 PM
WC! Guide
New York

Hails from United States
Re: Pears (texture experiment)

I do believe you've hit a home run with this one Donna! Beautiful work, so expressive and inventive at the same time. That texture is fantastic, you are definitely on to something here, great work! I am a big fan of red in paintings, this is fantastic!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-25-2013, 04:34 PM
WC! Guide
New York

Hails from United States

Chris, when the evening sun hits this thing from the side it makes the most interesting shadows! It really was a lot of fun but next time I would do a bolder underpainting so I wouldn't have to work so hard to build up to the colors I want. Thanks for the kind comment!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-25-2013, 04:45 PM
A Local Legend
Norfolk England

Hails from United Kingdom

What a fun experiment and it came out very well. I love the texture you made. It adds life and, yes, I bet it does look great with the light in the right place! I love the composition too!

Pastel Guild of Europe http://www.pastelguild.org/
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-25-2013, 04:50 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Oh wow! Donna, I love this. Your experiment is a success. The textures are interesting, the color just pops and the composition's fantastic. I love the depth. I love the complementary contrast. Beautiful abstraction if I blur my eyes, powerful representational painting when I focus. Way to go!

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-25-2013, 06:51 PM
Lord of the Arts
Ozarks

Hails from United States

Love, love. love it! Everything about it - textures, colors, composition, rendering - everything. Great experiment. Did you put the tissue paper only on the box or under the pears as well?

Tanja

You may view my art at ~ www.tanjawareart.com
"Find out who you are and do it on purpose." - Dolly Parton
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-25-2013, 06:55 PM
san diego, ca

Hails from United States

Outstanding!!! I would enter this painting in any mixed media show and it would win a ribbon, for sure. I really like your composition.

web site , Getting started in soft pastels., What you need to know, Critique Guide Lines
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-26-2013, 06:43 AM
Veteran Member
Antigonish, Nova Scotia

Hails from Canada

pears are my favorite still life subject! This is one of the very best paintings of pears! I love the way you have worked the textures into the box! Now that's what I call thinking 'outside the box'. Thank you so much for sharing. I have some Fine Pumice Gel and I have not got the courage up to use it.

Gail
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-26-2013, 07:28 AM
Mt Dandenong Ranges

Hails from Australia

Fabulous. Love the texture and the colours, also the concept.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-26-2013, 10:19 AM
WC! Guide
New York

Hails from United States

Thanks Ruthie! I see so many acrylic and mixed media paintings with texture and I just wanted to give it a try. It's fun playing with mushy pieces of tissue paper!

Thank you Robert! I recently bought a set of Unison reds (love them!) and really wanted to see what they could do. This composition reminds me of contestants on a stage.

Tanja, thanks very much! I did only put the tissue under the box. I would have gotten a much different look and feel if the pears were all bumpy too. Maybe it would make them look old and shriveled!

Thanks Karen! A mixed-media show ... I hadn't thought of that. If the surface of the work is completely covered with pastel is it still technically a pastel?

Gail, thank you and please get your pumice gel out! Did you know you can draw on a smooth surface first and then cover it with gel? Or it's fun to brush the gel on over a pastel underpainting and let the edges mingle and blur together.

Thanks Elle, I guess my concept with pears is to feature them in other-than-fruit bowl situations; on a stage, in an alley, acting affectionate or jealous ... Pears are people too!
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-26-2013, 12:11 PM
san diego, ca

Hails from United States

Hmmm. Interesting question, Donna. Maybe someone has a thought on that. Would the manipulation of the tissue paper, applied to your support, qualify this for mixed media?

web site , Getting started in soft pastels., What you need to know, Critique Guide Lines
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-26-2013, 12:44 PM

Hails from United States

It's very unusual, but it works so well! That box area is now an equal player, it's so interesting in itself because of this beautiful texture and color yet it supports the pears nicely. Great experiment!

#13   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-26-2013, 01:36 PM
Immortalized
Ct. usa

Hails from United States

hello
yep , lots of fun !

the turn of the stems ...

Ed
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-28-2013, 08:12 AM
WC! Guide
New York

Hails from United States

Karen, Isn't there a rule about the surface needing to be at least 80% covered with pastel in order to qualify as a pastel in some shows? Is there a similar rule for mixed media?

Thanks Lana - I was afraid the texture would compete too much with the pears but from a distance it's the contrast between pears and box that catches the eye. Up close is another story!

Ed, we all know those stems are antennae that allow the pears to communicate with each other...
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-08-2013, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member
Genelle, BC

Hails from Canada

Hi Donna, Like this one so much have come to look yet again. I was wondering about the texture and framing. How would you normally frame your work and will the texture you've added require you to make any change to how you frame this? Nell