Home Forums Explore Media Acrylics How to paint in acrylics in hot weather

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Retiree

Well, I know many people who are loving the hot weather in British Columbia. I hate it. 30 degrees or more is my idea of hell. Then there are all the idiots who start forest fires by dropping their cigarette butts or not paying attention when they are camping. Anyways, never mind my acrylics are drying up, ok, I better bring out the stay wet palette. But I’m sweating bullets even with a fan on me. How do you guys cope with painting in hot weather?

fedetony

Hint: a basement (which is under ground level) will have an almost constant temperature all year long. Intelligent or self sustained buildings exchange air with the basement to keep the air cool in summer and warm in winter.
            If you don’t have a basement maybe find a place with air conditioning?

I paint in an attic, and is the worst place because in summer is super hot and in winter super cold. I do not have air conditioning. So in winter I use warm clothes and an electric heater and in summer I place fans circulating the air from the lower part of the house. I’m only there when paint needs to be applied, for drawing, preparing, cleaning or other activities I avoid to stay in the hottest room in the house in summer. :)

Federico Garcia
            My Blog
            C&C always welcome :D

"...when someone gives a critique of your work, fear not. It usually means they like or care more of your work than when they just pat your back." - Tiago

Air conditioning

Actually I lie to some degree. I literally hurl paint in the garage, so I just have to suck up the heat and humidity. When not hurling paint and actually using brushes and there is no threat of paint going everywhere, inside in the cool.

Carol
            "Mercifully free of the ravages of intelligence" - Time Bandits[/color]
            Moderator: Acrylic Forum
            My websites: Discoveries With Colour Adventures in Photography[/B]

Well, I know many people who are loving the hot weather in British Columbia. I hate it. 30 degrees or more is my idea of hell. Then there are all the idiots who start forest fires by dropping their cigarette butts or not paying attention when they are camping. Anyways, never mind my acrylics are drying up, ok, I better bring out the stay wet palette. But I’m sweating bullets even with a fan on me. How do you guys cope with painting in hot weather?

Contrary to what most people think the temperature is mostly irrelevant on acrylics drying time. The Air humidity is the predominant factor. So much that during summer here I get 40C + temperatures but the acrylics take HOURS to dry, because the air humidity is very very high.

"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"

fedetony

Alternatively , you can paint naked :D !!!

Federico Garcia
                My Blog

"...when someone gives a critique of your work, fear not. It usually means they like or care more of your work than when they just pat your back." - Tiago

wait.. people use clothes while they paint? Damm why no one ever told me that???

"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"

fedetony

wait.. people use clothes while they paint? Damm why no one ever told me that???

hehe, I thought I was the exception! but is a common practice… :D

Federico Garcia
                    My Blog

kin3

I live in the deep south. We run A/C for 10 months out of the year. Also high humidify. I use a StayWet Pallet and don’t have a problem with drying. A misster for the painting itself to keep it from drying to fast.

Bartc

Chroma Atelier Interactives can be easily kept open or rewetted. A spritzer and Sta-Wet make it all that much easier if hot DRY weather is the issue. Never hurts to have an umbrella for painting purposes, and in this case just might give you 5 degrees F of relief. That’s something.

Retiree

Hint: a basement (which is under ground level) will have an almost constant temperature all year long. Intelligent or self sustained buildings exchange air with the basement to keep the air cool in summer and warm in winter.
                                If you don’t have a basement maybe find a place with air conditioning?

I paint in an attic, and is the worst place because in summer is super hot and in winter super cold. I do not have air conditioning. So in winter I use warm clothes and an electric heater and in summer I place fans circulating the air from the lower part of the house. I’m only there when paint needs to be applied, for drawing, preparing, cleaning or other activities I avoid to stay in the hottest room in the house in summer. :)

Well, we’re in a 2nd floor condo so no basement. I have one fan, may invest in another for the bedroom that I am painting in. Also cannot afford to put in an air conditioner, but thanks for the comments!

Retiree

Air conditioning

Actually I lie to some degree. I literally hurl paint in the garage, so I just have to suck up the heat and humidity. When not hurling paint and actually using brushes and there is no threat of paint going everywhere, inside in the cool.

Yup, I can see the garage as being cool. Unfortunately, we’re in a 2nd floor condo only a parkade underground available. Thanks for the comment though!

Retiree

Well maybe 30 years ago. I do have the curtains open, don’t want to scare the neighbours.:lol:

Retiree

Contrary to what most people think the temperature is mostly irrelevant on acrylics drying time. The Air humidity is the predominant factor. So much that during summer here I get 40C + temperatures but the acrylics take HOURS to dry, because the air humidity is very very high.

I did not know that. Thanks for the comment.

Retiree

I live in the deep south. We run A/C for 10 months out of the year. Also high humidify. I use a StayWet Pallet and don’t have a problem with drying. A misster for the painting itself to keep it from drying to fast.

No money for an air conditioner but thanks for the comment. Yes, I use a spray bottle as well, actually I should use it on me too, as I am so hot.:lol:

Retiree

Chroma Atelier Interactives can be easily kept open or rewetted. A spritzer and Sta-Wet make it all that much easier if hot DRY weather is the issue. Never hurts to have an umbrella for painting purposes, and in this case just might give you 5 degrees F of relief. That’s something.

Oh sorry, I meant to say I am painting inside. Thanks for the comment! Are the Chroma Atelier Interactives the same price as regular acrylics by let’s say Liquitex, Grumbacher, etc.? Or are they more expensive?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.