Home Forums Explore Media Oil Pastels Oil Pastel Library Oil Pastel Tools and Materials Home Made Oil Pastel Recipe

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 98 total)
  • Author
    autolisp

I am currently trying to make my own oil pastels. I have been using beeswax + mineral oil + Stand oil + pigment. They are coming out very soft. I have read that carnauba wax is added to harden oil pastels by some manufacturers. Does anyone have a ‘ball park’ percentage as a starting point?

I will share my recipe if it turns out successful!

autolisp

I'm not a new member. But the database thinks I am!

Lostjedi

I read an article about making your own oil pastels a while back and it suggested 5-10% carnauba wax as higher concentrations will affect the color of lighter colors because it has a yellowing affect. I. Have not tried it myself but am very interested as I make my own charcoal and would like to do the same with oil pastels.

The aim of art is to represent not the outward appearence of things, but their inward significance. :thumbsup: Aristotle

MAS
            autolisp

Thanks for the reply. I have read since my post that >10% is often used.

Here is my recipe so far. Not finished yet!

MY OIL PASTEL RECIPE 25/04/13

WAX/OIL MEDIUM RECIPE.

4 parts Wax. BP grade white wax.
                1 part Oil (oil made from 50/50 mix of sun thickened walnut oil and mineral baby oil)

Heat the wax in a double boiler and add the oil – stir thoroughly.

PASTEL RECIPE.
                1 part wax/oil medium
                1 part tube oil paint. (stand on paper towel to absorb some of the oil from the paint)

Add the tube paint to the liquid wax medium and heat to mix thoroughly.
                Pour the liquid pastel mix into a flat aluminium dish (mould) to harden.
                Cut into strips/sticks ready for use. Wrap in cling film or foil to store.

Results: This produced a VERY soft pastel (too soft). So I remelted the pastel mix and added another 1 part of the wax medium

Recipe = 2 parts wax medium + 1 part tube oil paint. Will test when cold.

Results: This produced a soft pastel (cuts like soft cheese). Still a bit too soft. So I remelted the pastel mix and added another 1 +1/2 part of the wax medium.

Recipe = 3 + 1/2 parts wax medium + 1 part tube oil paint. Will test when cold.

Results: This produced a soft pastel (cuts like medium cheese). Still a bit soft. So I will remelt the pastel mix and add >10% Carnauba wax.

NOT DONE YET. TESTING.

autolisp

autolisp

For anyone interested. I finally got some Carnauba wax. I added 10% by weight (rather than trying to get the proportions with liquid wax solutions) to my oil pastel mixture and remelted it. It took a bit longer to get the carnauba wax to melt completely, and quite a bit of stirring. However. I let it get cold, I cut a slice from the block and tried it on some cheap watercolour paper. It’s quite nice to work with. A bit softer than the Sennelier brand, so maybe I will up the amount of carnauba wax. It is probable that by using a weight rather than a volume % that I do not have a 10% addition. I’m not too bothered as this was a ‘trial’ experiment anyway. If I decide to continue I will use a volume/volume formulation from the beginning.

Still it’s all good fun. Isn’t it?

autolisp

stee71

Hi Autolisp, I have never tried making OPs using tube paint but have made many using powdered pigment. I found that the biggest issue I faced was obtaining consistent results in opacity and texture. in the end i concluded that the oil absorbency of the various pigments was the root cause. so rather than using fixed ratios of oil/wax/pigment i instead would mix my powdered pigment with the mineral oil on a glass surface until i had a soft paste. By using tube paint i guess you have already got oil saturated colour. (my only concern would be the drying nature of linseed or walnut oils and that their presence may create more of an oil bar rather than oil pastel)

For wax, i experimented with numerous densities of parafin (petroleum based) waxes. Candle making suppliers have a dazzling array of textures from soft to hard. I also tried natural and bleached bees wax. my biggest success was using a medium parafin wax that delivered a smooth even lay down of wax similar to Neopastels or holbeins rather than the softer Senns which i struggle to control.
                        My technique was additive, i would add some wax pellets to my oil/pigment paste and melt together. ( i use an old microwave oven to melt the pastels in little plastic tubs rather than direct heat or a double boiler) once cooled in the pots the colour simply pops out as a in a mould and i have a sort of Oil Pastel brick. i test this for pigment load and hardness/softness…. if it needs to be harder it goes back in the microwave with more wax pellets, if it needs softening or pigment i add more colour paste.

once the consistency seems right i then re-melt and decant into my Oil pastel moulds which are plastic drinking straws that are extra wide diameter. I bought them from Ebay where they are listed as ‘bubble tea’ straws (i have no idea what bubble tea is but apparently it is big in Asia and the orient) …. they are perfect for making a slightly fatter than retail Oil pastels. I would say that my homemade OPs are far better than student grade but lack the smoothness of the full artist grade Neos, Senns or Holbeins. I also have difficulty obtaining the opacity that I love in the Neos, some pigments are naturally opaque such as the earth colours, Cadmiums and Titanium white, but i don’t know how Caran D’ache obtain their intense crimson reds and pinks as no matter how much quinacridone pigment i add to the sticks i make my crimsons and opera rose sticks are always transparent , same with the other synthetic pigments like Phthalo blue/green and Azo yellow. So in that respect my pastels more closely resemble Senneliers.

If the tube paint recipe results in OPs that don’t form a skin or harden with extended storage time i may be tempted to give that method a try too.

Steve

Please excuse my English - it is my first language and therefore i abuse it outrageously :D

autolisp

Hello Steve.

I just decided to have a look at the WC site as I have not visited for a loooonnnnng time. I have not done any pastel work or painting at all for months. I have totally lost the ‘interest’ so I decided to give it a break. Don’t know how long it will be, maybe never try again. Just have to see how it goes. My container of wax medium has not gone to waste. I added some more ‘baby oil’ to it and it make a wonderful wax treatment for my archery bow string!

autolisp

P.S I think this area is ‘dead’. Apart from yourself I have had no other replies beyond the ‘3’ that were there before you replied! Of course people could be reading and not even bothering to leave a comment or suggestion.

” …but i don’t know how Caran D’ache obtain their intense crimson reds and pinks as no matter how much quinacridone pigment i add to the sticks i make my crimsons and opera rose sticks are always transparent , same with the other synthetic pigments like Phthalo blue/green and Azo yellow.”

That will happen, since the quinacridone, phthalocyanine, and azo pigments are transparent. I suppose Caran D’Ache and Holbein add some sort of opacifying agent to these pigments in order to make these colors as opaque as their other colors based on cadmium, oxide, etc. pigments.

In the book of love's own dream, where all the print is blood.
                                Where all the pages are my days, and all the lights grow old.
                                When I had no wings to fly, you flew to me, you flew to me.

“PASTEL RECIPE.
                                    1 part wax/oil medium
                                    1 part tube oil paint. (stand on paper towel to absorb some of the oil from the paint)”

If you use oil paint, you’ll end up with oil sticks as opposed to oil pastels proper (which are made with non-drying oils). You constantly have to peel the dried paint skin from oil sticks before using them. Just a thought.

In the book of love's own dream, where all the print is blood.
                                    Where all the pages are my days, and all the lights grow old.
                                    When I had no wings to fly, you flew to me, you flew to me.

truck driver

I want to know where you read that carnaubo wax is added to any commercial oil pastel, or read anything about the ingredients included other than wax, mineral oil, and pigment. I have had numereous discussions with Sennelier, Holbein, and Sakura, I have never managed to get this kind of information from any of them.

RG

indraneel

Can someone clarify which wax gives best results? Paraffin, microcrystalline or beeswax? Should I add carnuba? What grade of paraffin wax.. fine, coarse?

I tried with normal candle wax (from a candle) and sunflower oil. Got super soft (too soft) pastels, but I already feel it may have too much wax. When I drag on paper, it lays a thick layer but some of it comes off as small globules and threads (like a vinyl eraser). It also comes off like that when I try to blend with my finger. I’ve tried with different papers (rough, sanded…) and it’s the same. Any ideas?

I’m using powder pigments, not tube colors.

Flycatcher10

I’m sorry Indraneel, I’ve never made my own oil pastels and am not able to help you with your question.

artisthos

In making oil pastels, I need to know what makes the medium not drip. In the beginning of oil pastels they had one recipe for winter and one for summer. What was it that made the difference.
                                                    Thanks for a great group. I will keep posting here until I get the answer.

I’m new so bear with me:) Ive been playing with making soft pastels but also interested in oil pastels. I bought a cheap steamer today, boiled some water in the pan, placed the steamer on top, threw some beeswax into a cup, roughly an equal quantity of linseed oil, waited till it melted and added some cheap pigment. after a good stirring, I poured it into a foil carton and a few minutes later I had a very peculiar shaped oil pastel. After an hour in the fridge, my pastel was ready and works! Now I wish I’d measured quantities:)

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art - Leonardo da Vinci
                                                    More than happy to receive C&C on anything I post
                                                    Instagram
                                                    https://www.instagram.com/the_henson_gallery/

Here’s a pic of the misshapen object…

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art - Leonardo da Vinci
                                                    More than happy to receive C&C on anything I post
                                                    Instagram
                                                    https://www.instagram.com/the_henson_gallery/

Ratchet

Interesting. I am experimenting with beeswax and mineral oil.

I tried petroleum based wax, mineral oil and talcum powder filler yesterday. I obtained a product not unlike inexpensive oil pastels. The pigment settled while the wax cooled. The pigment, even though I mulled it with oil first, did not disperse evenly.

I am still experimenting. The bees wax/mineral oil is of sufficient quality to encourage further investigation.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 98 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.