WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-02-2019, 03:57 PM

self portrait 5 "blue with face ripping off"

Done with a knife, closeups are to show texture. Any comments/critiques welcomed.
thanks for looking.
Attached Images

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-02-2019, 04:44 PM
Immortalized
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States
Re: self portrait 5 "blue with face ripping off"

Interesting, if perhaps eerie. I have noticed an upsurge in this kind of imagery in the past decade, on books, album covers, and even a few posters. As far as rendering is concerned, the work appears to have an overall strong form, though much of it is lost in the face due to the shredding of the features. The emotional element is evident, though it seems to lack enough information to provide narrative. As such, it provides a momentary interest, but functions in a more abstract manner to ask the viewer what they think rather than convey a specific element. The conversation between the viewer and the painter is in a language that many may not understand, and as such becomes a rather niche market.

I would love to see a body of work with a theme that informs me to the context a bit more so I can perhaps find more ways to relate with the imagery.

Delofasht
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-03-2019, 05:45 PM
Lord of the Arts
With my pets >'.'<

Hails from United States

Interesting. My cat can relate as this is how she feels daily. A lost nobody who was treated as an object rather than a sentient being. I take it this was rendered in oils, so I will not ask if real blood was used, it sure looks real in the close-ups.

My Cassandra Cat's Art Page~https://www.facebook.com/OilPainting...y/?ref=tn_tnmn
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-03-2019, 06:07 PM
Enthusiast
Baltimore, MD

Hails from United States

Ah, I once had abs like that. Many many MANY years ago.

I like the basic idea, but the anatomy seems off. For example, the brown line connecting running up from the left armpit over the clavicle. (The painting's left, not the subject's left.) You may see something like that in the reference photo, but that's a trick of the lighting which should not blind us to the underlying structure. A collar bone is a collar bone, even when you're trying to express your innermost angst in the face of a Godless universe.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-04-2019, 01:24 AM
Enthusiast

sevan - I remember you from the children's book story paintings you were doing some time ago. The stories and also your paintings and rendering were interesting and I followed them for quite a while. Your title says self portrait 5 - is this also part of a new series?

You have not listed the size of this painting. I would not have known it was done with a palette knife had you not mentioned it, considering even your brushwork had a lot of texture and also your canvas sizes were generally small.

The face ripping off reminds me visually of some version of sandman. There is a bestial feel to this. I remember in your stories children (most exemplary of innocence) having some connection with animals. There was no fear. Just some kind of oneness...

Glad to see you're posting on the oil painting forum and hope to see more of your work on here.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-05-2019, 08:57 AM
missouri

I like it.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2019, 06:42 PM

Thanks for the comments. Its oil on canvas 36"x48"

Delofasht, Its part 5 of (hopefully) a dozen or so such paintings, the theme is more or less an external view of internal states of being, using the format of self portraits and various styles. For the most part I hesitate to title or explain them in obvious ways even though they are very specific to me just bc I like to leave it open to being more personal to the viewer, but you are right, it is perhaps niche. Yet in the context and variety of the rest, it will hopefully help to know its purpose a bit more.
Im curious, could you show an example of what you mean by this kind of imagery popping up?

Floating dove-poor cat! No artists were harmed during the making of this painting.

JCannon- thank you for the critique on form, im trying to learn it. The part you point out is a trouble spot it seems for me. On a side note, isnt everything we see a trick of lighting? Difficult to choose which illusion to capture sometimes.

Bhindi-good to hear from you, thank you for the kind words about the childrens story paintings and remembering! Yes those were very small so a paint brush worked fine for impasto. Your question of this ones size and series are answered elsewhere in this post. You can search my posts for the other paintings in this series so far if you want.

MBJohnson-thank you