Home Forums The Art Business Center General Art Business Writing The Artist Statement

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    CarlyHardy

I promised this article last spring! and finally it’s in print!! I hope all of you will get some helpful information in writing an artist statement. The first time I tried it….the outcome was a mess. I had no direction and most of the examples I could find online just didn’t fit me.

After a weekend workshop with Marsha Savage who challenged several of us who had no artist’s statements to write one out, I began to think more seriously about what mine ought to say. Using some of the questions that she asked, I attempted once again to write out a simple statement.

Since then, my statement has changed several times, and as I mentioned in the article, it often changes with a particular show where I want to incorporate the theme into the statement.

…and I keep my list updated all the time :)
        carly

You’ll find the article at Writing The Artist Statement[/url]

Robin

Excellent! I am definitely going to use this. I think the questions are helpful even if you aren’t writing an artists statement yet. I think they help us verbalize our feelings. I have found when people talk or ask about my work, I don’t know what to say…this is going to help me.

Thank you.

Robin

Robin

Robin

Another thing. I especially agree with using first person when trying to get commissions. I always wonder who you’re supposed to contact for the commission when the artist only communicates to you via an invisible third person. It sounds like the artist is too busy…or thinks she’s too good to talk to the likes of me!!

Robin

CarlyHardy

Robin,
                    you’re so right about that invisible third person :) I’ve seen a lot of artist statements written this way but since the statement is a personal one from the artist to introduce the viewer to the art, it makes no sense to use a third person.

There are times when the third person should be used. Professional advertising, resumes, bios, third party advertising (galleries, agents, etc.) but if an ‘an artist statement’ is included, it should be in first person.

Thanks for your comments!
                    carly

blondheim12

Well done Carly. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Love,
                        Linda

Linda Blondheim Art
                        http://www.lindablondheim.com
                        Blondheim Art and Stories
                        http://www.blondheimartandstories.com

becky2

Carly,

Thank you so much for the article. I am trying to compose an artist statement at the moment. I have made up my bussiness cards and they have asked me to do some workshops on Kabbalah at the TJCC here in my town. Nobody else is doing it right. The teacher didnt show up. Had colored pencils and drawing pad but no class because of lack of interest. They have asked me to leave my name and number at the front desk. Hope I can teach a workshop there. They have space and everything

Thank you Carly for your informative and extremely useful article. There are sooo many ambiguous answers for the simple Artist Statement….the ones I have read in the past were like trying to read a foreign language! I don’t want my art viewers to come away from my paintings saying…”Huh????”

I’m going to an art business class this coming weekend and will try and write a better one than I had been using previously. I spoke alot about my biography in my first one….so this information is very useful to me…and I’m sure many others.

Thank you ever sooo much!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Nancy

"There are always flowers for those who want to see them." Matisse

My Blog--
                            http://nancypatterson.blogspot.com/

King Rundzap

Hey CHClements!

I believe I e-mailed you about your article over the summer. At least your article sounded like the one I e-mailed someone about, lol.

My Artist’s Statement (http://www.carnybarkermedia.com/ArtistsStatement.html) is a monster, and I’m proud of it. Of course, it wouldn’t suit everyone, or maybe anyone else as a model of what to write, or how to approach an Artist’s Statement, but I think it fits my work well. It also continues to evolve, and more often than not, grow longer.

Your advice is good, however, if someone wants to go the mainstream route, and that fits many WC’ers.

Brandt Sponseller
                                www.CarnyBarker.com

King Rundzap

Robin,
                                    you’re so right about that invisible third person :) I’ve seen a lot of artist statements written this way but since the statement is a personal one from the artist to introduce the viewer to the art, it makes no sense to use a third person.

There are times when the third person should be used. Professional advertising, resumes, bios, third party advertising (galleries, agents, etc.) but if an ‘an artist statement’ is included, it should be in first person.

Thanks for your comments!
                                    carly

My Artist’s Statement is in third person, but I agree it wouldn’t be right for everyone. I want mine to sound more like an article looking at the theoretical/analytic aspects of my work.

Brandt Sponseller
                                    www.CarnyBarker.com

brushmarx

thank you thank you thank you!!!!! i don’t know how this ihappens but almost everytime i have a question about some art stuff i llook here and it’s already been answered!!! thank you thank you!!!!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

maria marx
                                        www.mariamarx.com

CarlyHardy

King R,
                                            that is one reason I gave no examples. The artist statement is personal and unique to every artist. It’s not a one fits all size :) It sounds like you have a good idea of how to use your statement to introduce and market your work and to keep it evolving to meet your needs. Thanks for sharing!
                                            carly

Thanks for the article. Good timing for me, as I have to do one. I printed it out and will study it later. Thanks again. :)

Blumoon
                                            https://www.deborah-robinson.com/fine-art/
                                            https://www.facebook.com/DeborahRobinsonArtist/
                                            "Art is an outsider, a gypsy over the face of the earth." ~ Robert Henri

I too, thought the article was extremely helpful, thanks a ton!
                                            Definitely given me a lot to think about!
                                            I think it’s so kind that many artists on WC are willing to take ALOT of time to write articles and share information as well as experiences with the rest of us.
                                            I find it kind, helpful and honorable.
                                            Many thanks,
                                            ally

LouAnn

Hi, Carly, Tho I doubt I’ll ever need an “Artist’s Statement” This article was most impressive and I’ve got it all in my notebook. Just in case the need should arrise. I’m not in the same league as most of the artists I’ve seen here but it will help me respond to ‘on the spot’ inquiries of this nature.

h20color

Carly, You Are Amazing

Thank you so much for a much needed article for many artists, myself included. HURRAH for YOU! :clap: :clap: :clap:

You most likely have just saved the world with this one page of information.
                                                    You have just cut through the c _ _ _.

Thank you for your clear directions on how to produce that artist statement we all fear and dread.

Again thank you

Marilyn

Silverpoint Article January 2004[/URL]

My Website

"They do me wrong who say I come no more when once I knock and fail to find you in; For everyday I stand outside your door and bid you wake and rise to fight and win.
                                                    Wait not for precious changes passed away! Weep not for golden ages on the wane! Each night I burn the records of the day---At sunrise every soul is born again"

--- OPPORTUNITY --- by W. Malone

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
                                                  • The topic ‘Writing The Artist Statement’ is closed to new replies.