Home Forums Explore Media Oil Pastels Oil Pastel Library Oil Pastel Miscellaneous Allergy to pastels?? Help please

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    artbabe21

OK, most my painting sessions have been w/o a mask & for short periods with no problems. Today I actually wore a piece of cloth like Barb does tied over my nose & mouth, so I could actually breathe some, I had a window open, the painting was laying down on the table (my choice way to work) and after an hour took a break and my throat was scratchy, some coughing, but it definitely feels irritated. For those of you who have had difficulty with dust form pastels is this an allergy to pastel particles or what? :confused:

Btw, I am only using pastel pencils– Conte…:(:crying: :rolleyes:

Cathleen~

[FONT=Times New Roman]~Be COURAGEOUS, It's one of the few places left still uncrowded~

[FONT=Times New Roman]~Life is not measured by it's length BUT by it's depth~

the painting was laying down on the table (my choice way to work)

You may want to consider making vertical your preferred choice. When the pastel is standing straight up the particles fall in a neat little pile. I find that when I work on a slant or flat, i blow the little bits all over the place the whole time I’m working, or I find that I pull my face close to the loose particles. When upright those altogether loose particles are happily fallen away. I never find much dust to be floating around after that.

Hope this helps,
        Craig

Dark_Shades

Yikes !!! artbabe thats bad……… not heard of pencils causing problems before ……. hope you can resolve it …… do you suffer with asthma or pollen allergies …. could it be something like that …… someone in here was saying about they have a little air extractor gadget …… which piles up any dust to one place …..

….. what about trying a humidifier …… or just a simple bowl of water

artbabe21

[i]Originally posted by Dark_Shades [/i]
                [B]…… do you suffer with asthma or pollen allergies …. could it be something like that …… [/B]

no asthma, allergies EVER…but you got me to thinking…I did suffer a chemical burn to the back of my throat by not using my noggin’ last summer…the irritation is in the same spot…:( can’t imagine it would be related as the chem burn wasn’t severe or anything & did see a doctor……this is SO bumming me out….

granted this IS a very dry climate but it feels more like a sensitivity…

I did quit using soft pastels due to coughing from the dust…:crying: perhaps I AM really sensitive! oh, NO…..I LOVE this medium!

Thanks Craig, will try the up right position but laying down seemed to be so much more natural for me even after being an oil painter for many years…and being used to that easel position

Cathleen~

[FONT=Times New Roman]~Be COURAGEOUS, It's one of the few places left still uncrowded~

Mo.

Be careful Artbabe, try wearing a proper mask and using the easel, if you are still coughing and have an irritable throat, I advise you to see your doc ~ you could well be developing an allergy to the pastel dust ~ because you have never suffered with asthma or allergies in the past doesn’t mean that you won’t in the future.

I’ve stopped using soft pastels because I do suffer from asthma ~ I tried wearing a mask, but didn’t work, every night I was wheezing and coughing, couldn’t breathe properly ~ I now use oil pastels, since using them there has been a remarkable difference in my breathing ~ I no longer cough or wake in the night short of breath ~ I understand how you feel, as I too love the soft pastels, and missed them initially, but now I’m really taken with the oil pastels they are so versatile and my health is so much better. I will still use the soft pastels, but not on a daily basis anymore, more like a few times a year.

Good luck,
                    Mo.

Ditto to everything Mo said.
                    I’m allergic to dust. I wear a mask, or regret not wearing it. Even the pastel pencils can get dusty if you’re laying down a fairly thick coat of color.
                    Holbein oil pastels claim to feel a lot like soft pastels, and they almost do. Give o.p.s a try now and then!

Wendy C&C always welcome
                    Everybody likes feedback! Please remember to comment on others' threads, even if it's just a "nice work" post.

artbabe21

Thanks for the advice Mo…I thought I’d been easing my way into them AND had no problems TIL I wore something to mask any particles…GO FIGURE! I can breath fine…just a dry irritated throat & it’s too coincidental…:rolleyes:

Are there actually any masks you CAN breathe with? I won’t go the canister route, would give them up before that…:(

Glad you are doing well with the oil pastels!! I’ve played with the water soluble ones and they look like watercolors…but (POUT) nothing can be like dry pastels…:(

sundiver…thanks for your added thoughts…I appreciate it!

Cathleen~

I think it is really important to listen to your body. If your body doesn’t like something you are doing, then you MUST stop doing it. Your body knows best.

You MUST work at an easel when using pastels, no matter how long it takes to get used to it. Those pastel particles are no good for anyone’s lungs, and blowing at your paper is just the worst thing to do, spreading all those tiny bits of chalk into the air – yuk! One should vacuum the room, and easel trays, regularly too.

The red light is on – be warned.

Yes, you can wear a dust mask, I got some in a pharmacy, quite good,and easy to breathe thro if a bit hot, but even so, given your throat problem, I would stop using the pastels if the easel/working upright idea, + mask, doesn’t help.

Jackie

Mo.

[i]Originally posted by artbabe21 [/i]
                            [B]Thanks for the advice Mo…I thought I’d been easing my way into them AND had no problems TIL I wore something to mask any particles…GO FIGURE! I can breath fine…just a dry irritated throat & it’s too coincidental…:rolleyes:

Are there actually any masks you CAN breathe with? I won’t go the canister route, would give them up before that…:(

Glad you are doing well with the oil pastels!! I’ve played with the water soluble ones and they look like watercolors…but (POUT) nothing can be like dry pastels…:(

sundiver…thanks for your added thoughts…I appreciate it! [/B]

You are right and you are wrong, You can make oil pastels look similar to soft pastels, okay not exactly like soft, it’s all to do with technique, you can pull them dry across a surface loosely, you can blend with them, use them dry, cross hatch stipple, these are just few…or use them wet, thinned down to give a wash or glaze, paint with them using various brushes, so many wonderful effects can be achieved with them, I’ve only touched the surface so far ~ but will say that anyone who has a problem with the dust from soft pastel ~ give them a try, but try the Artist quality pastels, the cheap brands will put you off.

cheers,
                            Mo.

artbabe21

Jackie…thanks for your comments…trying to compare what might be others reactions and/or solutions…:)

I have been VERY careful NOT to blow but tap into a waste can…one thing I did differently that I just remembered was to lay in a background which is the most dust I have yet created… I am sure so that could be the culprit. I would definitely HAVE to give them up if this persists. Believe me one thing I have learned over the years IS to listen to my body…:)

Cathleen~

Mo.

Artbabe.. we posted at the same time, :)

Mo.

artbabe21

[i]Originally posted by Mo. [/i]
                                        [B]You are right and you are wrong, You can make oil pastels look similar to soft pastels, okay not exactly like soft, it’s all to do with technique [/B]

Thanks Mo…you’ve been SO helpful, I’ll have to read up on the oil
                                        pastel sticky…will stay away from pastels for awhile…:(

Cathleen~

Luvy

I notice symptoms when I’ve worked for long periods of time with my pastels. I have a drawing board table I work on which you can adjust the slant. I had a bad night last night. But then I’m allergic to everything :mad: But not giving up my pastels NOPE I’m going to die of something at least my lungs will be colorful LOL ROFLMAO and they can say on my tombstone She died doing what she liked best LOL

Luvy
                                            artbabe21

Oh, Luvy…do you wear a mask & latex gloves? Hate to see you put yourself at risk.

Today I am better so it can be attributed totally to the pastels. It’s clear I didn’t get any particles in my lungs for I only coughed a few times from my throat irritation. I will wait a few days & try again with my work on an easel and a proper mask. I sure can’t imagine this from merely using pencils!!!:confused:

Cathleen~

lorelou

Artbabe….I am new to pastels. My first set bought was the soft kind. I really hated the dust so much that I didn’t want to use pastels as a medium anymore.

I know that most everyone probably buys Nupastels which I almost bought but someone said that creatcolor was a little harder and was much less dustier than Nupastel.

So I decided to get them. I have never used Nupastel so I can’t compare but I am extremely happy with the Creatcolor. And yes there is hardly any dust and yet they put down color very well.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.