Home Forums Explore Media Drawing and Sketching William Bovie, WIP

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

This is quick work done on a toned paper, 19×13, using charcoal pencils and white chalks. I may not darken the suit, since that could distract the rest of the composition. I placed more emphasis on the face , tie, and his hand.
    Unfortunately, despite Bovie’s important contribution to Sciences, only three photographs were available and they were not the best as references. Nevertheless, I decided to work on this man who contributed so much especially on the field of Surgery. He invented the electric cautery which is used to coagulate and cut tissues.
    Bovie taught or conducted research at Harvard University, Northwestern University, Jackson Laboratory and Colby College. The first use of an electrosurgical generator or electric cautery in an operating room occurred on October 1, 1926 at Peter Bent Brigham Hospital in Boston,Massachusetts. The operation—removal of a mass from a patient’s head—was performed by Harvey Cushing.
    Today, this is one of the most important tools that surgeons use daily. The original design have been improved to the point that it is being used in Hospitals and Medical offices. He sold the patent for only one dollar.

Great start!

Christel

A distinguished man. Look forward to seeing the finished work.

Penny
    I live in Wiltshire, England
    “If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” -Will Rogers

Christel, Penny:
    Thank you for your comments.

Good start, Moe. If you are going to leave the suit more sketchy, the hand will look a bit out of place if it’s too detailed.

Good point Ken. The original and only reference photo available on this man the jacket is black. I will do copies and work on that. Thank you for the great tip!

fedetony

:) looks good… I would darken the jacket, to the same detail as the face, and whiten the background :)

Federico Garcia
        My Blog
        C&C always welcome :D

"...when someone gives a critique of your work, fear not. It usually means they like or care more of your work than when they just pat your back." - Tiago

Thank you Fedetony.

Finally I completed this work named William Bovie. It is difficult to express so much gratitude to this scientist for this device he invented makes surgery less complicated than ever and we take it for granted. Before this device was invented surgeons had to stop bleeding by clamping vessels with special tools, or applying hot irons to the tissue, or compressing the vessels for minutes to control bleeding.
        Thank you for looking.

123harry

I like the contrast between the highly finished face and the essentially outline drawing of the body. It focuses attention on the face. Another post which is also educational!

C&C always welcome.
            Instagram harry.hamill

IronPawn

Hey Moe, how are you.. hope all is well. Another great work with educational bonus, what a treat!

All the best!

Zoran

Thank you Zoran.

Well, after so many delays I finished this work and this last photo was taken after the work was framed so there is a faint glare on the left side.
                Thank you for watching.

Well done!

Christel

Thank you Christe.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.