Home Forums Texas

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    La_

Any advise for a Canadian moving to Fort Worth, Texas?

:thumbsup: thanks

la

snoball

Oh sister, until you acclimate you are going to be miserable. For the first couple of years the difference in heat and humidity will make you feel like you have moved straight into hell! After that you can just complain all summer like everyone else does. :D

If you're asking me for advice, I'm going to assume that you've run out of rational options.
            My work on Facebook

ronsu18

😀 🐂 🐊🌵
                the focal point will probably be that you’ve never done this at this time. allow emotions to come and go as a sign of change and nothing else for two years. never doubt yourself, that only happens if you’re exhausted so eat and rest. if you have a phantom time table, multiply it by four. sketch with brutal honesty. paint self portraits. take the bad with the good and bring a coyote. something real from home. you’ll know. congratulations on a big step!! you’ll feel like a teenager again!

C&C welcome

redfang

Watch out for chiggers. :eek:

"If influenza was only contagious after symptoms appeared, it would have died out thousands of years ago. Somewhere between tool using and cave painting, homo habilis would have figured out to kill the guy with the runny nose."

snoball

Watch out for chiggers. :eek:

Ticks, chiggers, mosquitoes, Oak Mites, Copperheads and Rattlesnakes.

If you're asking me for advice, I'm going to assume that you've run out of rational options.
                        My work on Facebook

marksmomagain

I live in a snowy Great Lake state (except for this year apparently…). I love snow.
                            I have relatives in Texas. I will NOT visit them AT ALL between the months of April through October… it is way too hot and humid. And just this past week, they were over 70* . (I dislike hot/humid weather).

I’d stay in Canada but that’s just me.

If the person is moving for a job, be sure to check out health care benefits. If it’s a snowbird situation, be sure to check out health care insurance. Be aware of what the deductibles are, when they’re due (usually upfront)and what to do, where to go and what the person is responsible for financially in a health care situation. It doesn’t take much in the States to rack up huge health care bills.

Fort Worth Texas is nice, my husband was stationed close to there for a couple of years. The people are nice and it’s a pretty clean looking area, nice lakes, nice highways too. The ocean is within a days drive. Check out both Dallas and Austin too, they both have great art scenes.

The Purple Dog Painting Blog
                            Find me on Instagram
                            Find me on Facebook

If I owned Hell and Texas, I’d rent out Texas and live in Hell –unknown

Be sure you have a plan for health insurance. I didn’t have any at the time and a 2 hour visit to Urgent Care, 13 stitches and 2 x-rays cost $6,000!

It is only on a basis of knowledge that we can become free to compose naturally. -- Bernard Dunstan
                            blog.jlk.net

ianuk

I spent a month in Houston and often flew through Dallas airport on the way to Nashville. I could live in Nashville, not sure about Houston, but I wasn’t there long enough to really know the place, the people I met were nice.

redfang

Ticks, chiggers, mosquitoes, Oak Mites, Copperheads and Rattlesnakes.

It’s the tiniest things that are the worst. I lived near Fort Worth for a couple of years as a kid (Farmer’s Branch, actually) and we didn’t have snakes at least. Tarantulas in the mailbox. Freezing rain and a wind so cold it would go right through a fisherman knit sweater. Thunderstorms that would rattle a brick house. Although, heat-loving plants grew like gangbusters. :lol:

"If influenza was only contagious after symptoms appeared, it would have died out thousands of years ago. Somewhere between tool using and cave painting, homo habilis would have figured out to kill the guy with the runny nose."

La_

haha, noted, thanks all

I’ll be planning a trip for christmas – yummy warmth, exploration and HUGS from one of my daughters and her hubby – they’re the ones moving there, not me. She’s Very organized so health plans are in the works.

I’ll look forward to visiting (safely) with snakes and tarantulas; will do my best to avoid tics and chiggers (had to google chiggers – ew!).
                                        Surely Texas has their own coyotes?

Will let advises and thoughts continue for a few days and then send her a link to this thread so they can have a read from those in the know.

thanks again

la

_____________________________________________
                                        When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know Peace

snoball

Yes, Texas should supply a plethora of coyotes. But if you are planning a Christmas visit, you shouldn’t have chiggers to worry about, they are a Summer plague. :)

My work on Facebook

kin3

learn to love boiled peanuts, then they will think you are really a Texan.

La_

sounds kinda nasty, kin, mushy peanuts? why?!

la

_____________________________________________
                                                    When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know Peace

Jon

I associate boiled peanuts with various southern states. Texas is surely known for Tex-Mex, chicken fried steak, kolaches, and drinking Dr. Pepper.
                                                        Watch for pick-up trucks and assorted vehicles with long horns attached to the front grille.
                                                        Make sure they purchase some cowboy boots. :)

ETA: Virginia is correct.

It doesn’t take much in the States to rack up huge health care bills.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.