Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Mongoose brushes?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 113 total)
  • Author
    Ron Francis

It has come to my attention that there is a huge illegal trade in mongoose hair that is used for making artists brushes and shaving brushes.
        The hairs come from are wild animals in India that are trapped and bashed to death (if they are lucky) before the hair is pulled out.
        They are protected and endangered in India and there are hefty penalties for anyone caught.

This web page is a must read for anyone who cares.
        http://randomfootprints.wordpress.com/category/mongoose/

Please don’t buy them.

Ron
        www.RonaldFrancis.com

:eek: :eek: :eek:
        Thankfully I do not have any mongoose. Thanks for the heads up on this.

Lady Mars Orange Marmalade Stapleford
        Moderator: OIls, Pastels, Plein Air

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken. -Oscar Wilde

There was a time I would never buy anything but natural hair brushes, because, quite simply, they were superior in every way to synthetics. I loved kolinsky and royal sables for fine detail brushes in oils and hog bristle, badger, and later when badger was no longer available, mongoose for the main utility brushes. I still have a couple old mongoose brushes in my brush bins, but, I quit buying natural hair brushes altogether about 2 years ago. Synthetics are much, much better than they used to be and by systematically trying new synthetics each time I buy new brushes (at least one new type) I have narrowed down the vast selection to a few synthetics that meet my needs. Now that I know I can get decent synthetics, I probably won’t buy any kind of natural hair brushes again.

[FONT="Tahoma"]EquiArt-n-More ... Stylistic Realism in Oils[/I][/B]

ETSY FACEBOOK FAA EPILOGUE [/CENTER][/COLOR]

Gayblade

Thanks for the info, by the way, synthetic mongoose is as close to the real thing you can get.

Bellaskye

I buy the Escoda fake mongoose, I love them!!!

The things that are done for some of our paintbrushes… :(

I like bacon.

winecountry

Thanks Ron… very good thing to bring up….
                    Kerry which ones do you like?

I just got some from Rosemary and Co. Shiraz which I’m really loving, have enough heft to shove the oil around, but spring and flex for a more sable like application too. She has synthetic mongoose too, called Eclispe I have really been happy with all their brushes and the shipping is minimal.

Lets put some of our favs up here for people to check out.

Constructive critiques and comments welcome.

Colleen, the brushes I currently love…for most block in work, and, some larger detail work (remember, 90% of my work is less than 5×7″) I like the Silver Brush Bristlon series. These brushes resemble hog bristle but are more springy and smoother and don’t ‘shed’. They hold up excellently to solvents and do not split, curl, or otherwise fall apart. The size 0 and 1 filberts are my fav and I DO wear them out! :) For finer detailing on miniature works, I’m still looking for my perfect brush, but, have found Princeton’s Umbria to hold up well to solvents and are long wearing. My only issue is that thier 000 is more like a 1, they just are not quite fine enough. I make do with them though, because unlike tacklon, they do not split n splay when used with solvents. I’ve also had good luck with Princetons 6600 series (mongoose synth, I think). Still sampling brushes, but, I tend to shy away from the really expensive ones. I’ll leave them for if I can’t find anything cheaper first! lol!

[FONT="Tahoma"]EquiArt-n-More ... Stylistic Realism in Oils[/I][/B]

ETSY FACEBOOK FAA EPILOGUE [/CENTER][/COLOR]

llawrence

I really appreciate you bringing this to our attention.

monkhaus

Well, beyond not purchasing mongoose brushes I think it’s a good idea to contact the manufacturers of them and tell them why you won’t be purchasing them anymore (for those who have). They need to know.

Thank you Ron!

WFMartin

Just a couple of thoughts. If I felt that Mongoose brushes were worth all they are cracked up to be, I’d probably buy them, no matter what particular propaganda had been thrust upon me. However, I am not much of an advocate for the use of natural hair brushes, anyway (by the way, why are we not as sympathetic for pigs, as in “hog bristle brushes”? Aren’t they “cute lil’ animals, too? At least when they are young). I have discovered that most of the synthetic bristles are by far more useful for oil paint than most natural bristles seem to be.

Also, if I were to own a “pet mongoose” for the purpose of using hair harvested off the animal, it seems to me that the very last thing I’d care to do would be to kill it.:confused:

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
                                https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

Mike Finn

Horses for courses..

If you need soft gradations and blending then the recommended brushes are sable. If you want to see the brush marks for a painterly effect then use bristles. If you want to do both with the same brush then use mongoose.

Now in some countries, like mine, products from threatened species are BANNED, so the imitation mongoose does the job nicely….. GREAT all round brush.

Mike Finn

Because it is, doesn't mean it has to be.

Watch Out! there's some nudity about...
                                    http://homepages.slingshot.co.nz/~mikefinn

Ron Francis

I forgot to mention that it seems that mongoose hair for brushes only comes from India and maybe Nepal, although this really needs to be confirmed.

I’m disheartened that, although only 15 people have voted so far, more than 50% have said that they would still buy mongoose brushes.
                                        It seems like such a small thing to do to protect an endangered species.

Ron
                                        www.RonaldFrancis.com

Anonymous

I just cast my vote for no mongooses for me, no way, no how. For this type brush I use Winsor Newton’s Monarchs:
                                            “Winsor & Newton’s synthetic mongoose fiber offers better durability than natural mongoose. This unique synthetic fiber is so much like mongoose, it even has the tapered point and surface texture of the natural hair. It is stiffer than sable, but softer than hog bristle, perfect for acrylic and oil painting.”

(When Riki Tiki Tavi mongoose is gone he won’t be coming around for to kill your snakes no more)

JTMB

One country’s endangered species is another place’s enemy. Mongoose (mongeese?) were brought into the Hawaiian Islands to deal with rats (which in turn were non-native and brought themselves in on trading ships). The only problem (as with almost all introduced species) is that things weren’t quite that simple. The mongeese discovered that eating native Hawaiian bird species (many of which didn’t fly because they never had predators and didn’t need to) was much easier than catching rats, and promptly eradicated a number of species which are never to return. It’s too bad the harvesting of mongeese can’t be done in Hawaii, because they are a continuing nemesis there. I know this is an unpleasant topic to some, but introduced species (such as European Starlings into the US) cause terrible ecological havoc because native species have not evolved defenses against them in many cases. My expertise is (North American) birds, and there are several well-known situations where a species of bird has been saved from extinction by directed and intelligent management (meaning destroying) non-native species that are the root of the problem. When I saw this thread, knowing the situation in Hawaii but not in India, I was astounded to see that the mongoose was endangered there.

I do own ‘mongoose’ brushes – but they are of the synthetic variety.

John
                                                C&C always welcome.

Website - www.johntubbsart.com. Art blog - www.jtubbs.com.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 113 total)
                                              • The topic ‘Mongoose brushes?’ is closed to new replies.