Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Head Study

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Humburger

I am in the process of getting a feel for oil paints. So many people say that oil paints are so easy and forgiving. I just seem to make a gloppy mess with them. I am hoping that just painting as much and as often as possible will help me learn how to deal with it. So, here is a study. Florent Farges said to do monochromatic studies while getting used to oils, so I am trying. I must say that it is helping quite a bit with the values. If anyone saw my “first oil portrait”, you will see what I mean. LOL! Also, something that I did with this one that I did not do with that first one was that I drew the picture on the canvas with a pencil before putting paint on. That first one was “drawn” with paint. Not a good idea for my first…

Ginny
        www.virginiacmccoy.com
        C & C Welcome

Tony11214

You’re coming along fine.

Humburger

Thank you, Tony. 😊

Ginny
                www.virginiacmccoy.com
                C & C Welcome

ilya K

I find it good too. Plus, most of people would have hard time doing half tone transitions in acrylics, like those on his cheek.

Frankly, for me it seems to be more portrait and perspective exercise, rather than oil. And you are doing very good.

Ilya K
                    C&C always welcome

Humburger

Thank you, Ilya. I am trying to get a feel for the paints while also getting some portrait and perspective experience, I agree. Thanks, again.

Ginny
                        www.virginiacmccoy.com
                        C & C Welcome

oldnmartist

You are getting a feel for the edges which are all important in oil.

Everything else being equal, I would rather be in the painting zone.

Humburger

Thank you. 😊

Ginny
                                www.virginiacmccoy.com
                                C & C Welcome

EmbryArts

I like the green and the angle of the portrait. It doesn’t look gloppy at all, like you said oils sometimes make you feel. It has a slight looseness but that makes it look good.:clap:

Canadanny

Like any medium it is all about practice and getting to know it’s properties. A never ending process. Blending is the key strength of oils. Enjoy…FYI nice greens

[FONT=Book Antiqua]Art is not about thinking something up. It is the opposite -- getting something down. [INDENT][FONT=Book Antiqua]The Artist's Way[/INDENT]

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.