WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Artwork from Life
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-19-2005, 06:03 PM
Eugene, Oregon

Hails from United States
2 paintings

hello.
i'll share 2 paintings.

both are:
12 x 16
oil
canvas paper tapped to board

the one with toast was done awhile ago. i did some touch up today. tried to get the coffee cup rim the right shape. also plate rim isn't quite the right shape. one thing i added was the part of a container in the upper left. it wasn't really in my scene, i added it later and i think it looks funny. but for the composition i think it was needed.

the second was done last week. i did have 2 different apples the first time. the one further back was a red apple. my wife pointed out it looked funny so i tried to add another Gala apple. it was harder to paint over what was left of the original. also the fabric on the right zigzags too nicely. i think i could have done that better.

C&C is very welcome.. i appreciate comments.
Eric

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-19-2005, 09:30 PM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States
Re: 2 paintings

Eric, I too have a tough time adding elements to a still life once the painting is done. You seem to have a way with bananas; in both paintings they're very well done.

The first painting has the plate and the saucer 'kissing'; that's an element that you want to try to avoid in still life paintings. Having the elements either overlap or stay separated is preferred. I think your fabric folds are quite well painted in the second, in spite of your comment about the zig zag. A little more shading on the apples would bring them up to the level of finish of the rest of the piece.

Thanks for sharing your work in our new forum.

Jamie
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-20-2005, 05:57 AM
Veteran Member
Portland, Oregon

Hails from United States

Hi,

She is right on the money. I can only add that I too thought your bananas are great even before I read Jamie's post and was quite taken with your fabric. Very nice paintings.

I need to watch for kissing too. A good reminder.

Donna
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-20-2005, 11:16 AM
Eugene, Oregon

Hails from United States

so nice to have other eyes on this stuff!

i didn't know about the kissing rule but now that you point it out....it seems obvious! thanks. plus i do agree looking at the apples that they do need some shade to bring them out.

thank you!
Eric
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-20-2005, 07:58 PM
A WC! Legend
NE Wisconsin Nicolet National Forest

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Like2Pedal
so nice to have other eyes on this stuff!

i didn't know about the kissing rule but now that you point it out....it seems obvious! thanks. plus i do agree looking at the apples that they do need some shade to bring them out.

thank you!
Eric

sure, just think of the flat edge of a dock lining up right on the water sky horizon line...which for plein air painters you know right off is not ideal. This kissing thing is similar for still life'ers...

nice efforts, Eric...
my suspicions are there might be more neutrals present which I'd encourage you to look for, as such used a bit more liberally will allow where color is used in a more limited manner to really sing more, or with greater excitement. I imagine the apples nearer its edges might hold hints of indirect light...
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-21-2005, 06:20 AM
Enthusiast
Spokane, Washington

Hails from United States

Nice 'nannas, and I wouldn't have noticed anything amiss with the fabric if you hadn't mentioned it.

Dan

"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters."

Norman Maclean